TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Are we REALLY already having an OTSR debate about this? REALLY???

Yup. Pretty f**king stupid, isn't it?

Suriously! The ride hasn't even been announced, so how about we wait until we ride the new Superman before we give negative reviews of the trains and OTSR and this turns into another 50 pages of nonsence.

I just find it funny that people claim not to care about Superman, yet they're concerned about whether it has OTSR or not.

If that's not pointless I don't know what is...

I don't remember claiming to not care about Superman The Escape. I loved the lapbars too, as they were the first that I rode which used hydraulics instead of pneumatics to stay closed. They were nice cause it gave you freedom to look around while you were at the top of the tower.

Not a fan of the OTSR's as I've heard the thigh complaints, however I've never been on a coaster with them so I'll hold judgement until I ride. But if that's what it takes to launch it backwards then there's nothing we can do about it.

I just find it funny that people claim not to care about Superman, yet they're concerned about whether it has OTSR or not.

If that's not pointless I don't know what is...

I don't remember claiming to not care about Superman The Escape. I loved the lapbars too, as they were the first that I rode which used hydraulics instead of pneumatics to stay closed. They were nice cause it gave you freedom to look around while you were at the top of the tower.

Not a fan of the OTSR's as I've heard the thigh complaints, however I've never been on a coaster with them so I'll hold judgement until I ride. But if that's what it takes to launch it backwards then there's nothing we can do about it.

I wasn't singling you out specifically. I seen complaining on other sites too, the same people who claim to hate the ride.

I am actually envious of fat people in this instance because their gut keeps the bar from reaching their legs and they can actually ride Intamin's comfortably without having to strategically plan the ride so it doesn't end up hurting.

Overly fat people are the reason for this type of restraint on pretty much all new intamin coasters this side of the pond

I am actually envious of fat people in this instance because their gut keeps the bar from reaching their legs and they can actually ride Intamin's comfortably without having to strategically plan the ride so it doesn't end up hurting.

Overly fat people are the reason for this type of restraint on pretty much all new intamin coasters this side of the pond

^Im glad someone finally said it.

Either way whatever the ride will become once it opens next year Ill be on it. Will I love it probably not Superman has never been a favorite of mine. Just another coaster to ride. Rip it down and give us a Ferrari clone then Ill be excited.

Is that a 4 across x 3 row seat configuration? Do you think that Magic Mountain would go with the same cars? If so the ride would be losing 20% of the capacity right? How busy was the ride the last few years? I would assume it never really took a huge amount of people per hour.

I think once superman Re- opens, it will be a LOT more popular when the GP find out it runs backwards.

Is that a 4 across x 3 row seat configuration? Do you think that Magic Mountain would go with the same cars? If so the ride would be losing 20% of the capacity right? How busy was the ride the last few years? I would assume it never really took a huge amount of people per hour.

I think once superman Re- opens, it will be a LOT more popular when the GP find out it runs backwards.

I agree, I think if SFMM does some good marketing for Superman backwards the GP will be really excited about it. I see it being pretty darn popular the first year or two after it opens.

I was really super young when Superman first opened, but I do remember going to the park a good 3 or 4 years after it had already been open and it was still getting lines down the hill of death (you know, the really steep hill). I think that Superman's popularity has really only dwindled in the last 5 years or so because it was THE ride when it first opened and for years afterward too. Hopefully this new refurb will put Superman back up top on people's to-do lists when they go to the park.

Absolutely perfect timing by Magic Mountain I think!

"Is that a 4 across x 3 row seat configuration?" (kenshinmac)

The cars have four rows total---four across in Rows 2, 3, and 4; and three across in Row 1. That adds up to 15 seats per car. I don't know if the cars will still fit that many with the new configuration. This is an interesting point.

Eric

Not exactly, there are some people who aren't that big, but rather have thick/muscular thighs that also have issues with the Intamin t-bar/seat belt combo, especially at parks like CP where they have shorter belts than on comparable rides at other parks. Ultimately, people are built differently so its not just a weight issue - these restraints allow more people to experience the attraction period.

Also, the correct riding position is with the bar portion of the OTSR resting across the thighs (from what Ive seen on Maverick and I305). Of course its up to the ops to ensure this requirement is being met.

Really? Colossus Backwards doesn't seem too popular. The past 4 years I've gone to Fright Fest the forward side always had a longer line.

I could be wrong, but it seems like it would really add a lot to the ride -- which the GP may or may not figure out depending on how MM promotes it. Knowing them, they'll stick a flamethrower and some speakers on it somewhere and pimp it out as a whole new experience etc.

Although I've never ridden Colossus backwards, I think I'd probably opt for the front-facing train as well because that just doesn't seem like a ride that would lend itself well to running backwards. I would imagine it'd be kind of like riding in the back seat of a car and looking out of the back window the whole time. But again, I haven't ridden it that way so I'm not sure.

To me, Superman is kind of dull ride because when you're up the tower, all you see is the sky and you really don't get a sense of just how high you are. But if you're up there facing straight down, I would think that the experience would be radically different. Even though it doesn't get anywhere near the top anymore, that thing is still pretty high -- and seeing the ground drop away from you, followed by a face-first plummet, would be enough to get me to wait in a line that stretches outside of the ice-station.

Although I don't go to MM very often (once every two or three years is good enough for me) when I'm there I never see too much of a line for it -- which I assume is because people just know it's not a very thrilling ride. But I remember when it first opened just how long the wait was; and it seems that by exponentially ramping up the thrill factor, it would receive a new lease of life and potentially become just as popular as it once was before it got neutered.

I could be completely wrong about all of this. I'm often completely wrong about things.

The only reason Superman ever had a remotely long line was because the park lied to customers in commercials and in the park maps and said it went 100 mph. On top of that, the structure was 415 feet tall, therefore they could claim a tallest and fastest record even though both of the records were bullsh*t.

Once people rode it, and because it didn't actually hit 100 mph, and because it didn't actually go up to the top of the tower, it lost its appeal and has been seen as a lame ride ever since. I don't blame a lot of people, though. I'd be disappointed if I waited an hour, or two, or three because I'd get back to the station after the 30 second ride thinking "That was it? It didn't even feel like we were going 100 mph."

The ride has never lived up to its potential. Hopefully with this revamp they will make it the ride it was always meant to be. Because even if the cars are turned around, if they don't go 100 mph OR reach the brakes at the top of the tower, it will NOT be a ride people (or me) will be impressed with, and it WILL repeat the same original fate.

One thing I always wished was that Magic Mountain got a TTD/Kingda Ka type of ride instead of this one, because I feel like people of So Cal would EAT IT UP. Get a tallest/fastest record that actually achieved the record, and it would be as popular as X2. Regardless of the ride experience or coaster enthusiast opinon, nobody can see a 450 foot tower with cars racing at speeds of 130 MPH over the top and NOT think its cool and NOT want to ride.

SF: You have a chance to redeem this ride. Please, don't insult our intelligence and bullsh*t us and don't half ass it. You have a chance to fix the past, get it right this time.