TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

1. X2: My all time favorite coaster. The only one I am still willing to wait more than 1 hour to ride.

2. Tatsu: Just barely 2nd to X2, but a virtual tie. The pretzel loop is very intense.

3. Goliath: Love the speed, air-time and intensity of the helixes.

4. Deja Vu: I really enjoy being pulled up those towers while in an inverted train. It reminds me of the Boomerang at KBF on steroids.

5. Riddler's Revenge: Gets a few bonus points for the relative uniqueness of being a stand up. I really enjoy the diving loops and the corkscrews.

6. Batman: Still one of the most exciting and intense coasters I have rode, especially on the corkscrews and zero-g roll. A little short but really packs a punch.

7. Scream: Love it for many of the same reasons as Riddler's Revenge and Batman. The zero-g roll and interlocking corkscrews are my favorite parts.

8. Viper: Still a lot of fun and pretty intense at 20 years old. I really enjoy the burst of speed it feels like you get on the turn leading into the 2nd and 3rd loops. It has been a favorite since I rode it on opening weekend and I think it has aged very well. Still one of the best after all these years.

9. Terminator Salvation: Feels 20 mph faster than it is. Great speed and sharp turns, which are even better in the tunnels. Rode it in near total darkness on my last visit since Deja Vu was closed. At times you couldn't even see the track which made it even more intense.

10. Ninja: Very mild by modern standards. I still ride it but only if there is no line. I don't go to the top of the mountain anymore unless Ninja and Superman are both open since neither is a favorite.

11. Revolution: Still enjoy it, partially for nostalgia, since it was the first non-kiddie coaster I ever rode. Not that great by modern standards either. It has been destroyed by OTSR's and excessive braking.

12. Superman: Not that good anymore. Same reasons as Ninja.

13. Colossus: Still enjoy it but not nearly as much as I did years ago. I consider it a family coaster by modern standards. The last turn before the bunnyhops feels like you could get out and run the same speed.

14. Gold Rusher: Still fun and I enjoy the helix at the end the most. I don't really have any complaints about it. It serves it's purpose well. It just isn't as big and bad as most of the other coasters.

Everything I have ranked 1-9 I still consider to be a favorite. The gap between each of those positions is very small. I consider everything from 1-9 to be much better than 10-14.

Commentary:

1. X2-My #1 ride. It's going to take me riding a ton of coasters all around to find a better drop than that.

2. Terminator Salvation-Back row at night (with a full moon, slight condensation on the track, and a belly full of papa johns pizza..jk) is pretty much a ritual experience for me. By far the most out of control ride I have ever been on.

3. Viper-A pretty underrated ride. I used to hate it, but ever since its rehab (almost a couple years ago) I really haven't had a bad ride on it. I love the giant drop, the really tall and forceful loops, and all the hangtime. I prefer it over B&M loopers because you can get off and remember the experience, something most B&Ms don't give me.

4. Goliath- This ride is a force beast. I love the airtime hill and the helix of death!

5. Tatsu- I've ridden it so many times that this ride is just boring. After the first drop until the egg turn (which still isn't that fun), this ride is a bore fest. Its only redeeming qualities are its lift hill, egg turn (because of the view) and pretzel loop.

6. Riddler's Revenge- One of my favorite B&M layouts, it gives you something very different from the standard B&M experience (and not just because it's standing up). What I like most about it is that it doesnt have a very conservative layout, there's hangtime, airtime, it's long, and it's forceful *insert joke about something else being long and forceful here*. And that last corkscrew is just the icing on the cake.

7. Deja Vu- A very fun ride. The lift hill is nerve racking because it's so damn high (even though it really doesn't look that high from the ground). It's very forceful, and it's also really fun looking to the left on the first tower and seeing how small Terminator is in comparison.

8. Batman: The Ride- It's the standard Batman, it'll rip your legs off with its force, but I find it kinda uncomfortable, and short.

9. Ninja- A classic Arrow, very fun at night.

10. Goldrusher- A night ride in the back on this is something you really need to do.

11. Revolution- Cool terrain following layout hidden by the trees...but those damn ostrs.

12. Scream- Any ride that was literally dropped in Childbirth can die for all I care.

13. Superman: The Escape- It can be fun..ish...sometimes.

14. Colossus - There really isn't much thrill that can be had out of this thing. But it looks cool!

^I think they are, Dietcokevan commented on my youtube channel saying that he just came back from there

It was strange, it was sunny out for like 1 hour, then all of a sudden cloudy, then raining. Most rides stayed opened Viper closed at the start of the rain, but I rode it after it wasn't raining as hard. Then we spent an hour soaking people on log Jammer (Yes people were riding it in the rain, and I took two spins on it myself ) We left at like 3:30 because most rides went to one train operations, and X2 was closed

If you guys had to rank all the [non-junior] roller coasters in this park on the basis of your enjoyment, preference, etc... well, how do you rank the roller coasters we have?.

Since they are in order of "Enjoyment" ...

1. Terminator: Salvation - Just a fun fun ride

2: Ninja - Been a favorite since the day it opened. Especially at night

3: Batman: The Ride - Same as #3

4: Riddlers Revenge - Don't ride it everytime I'm at the park, but a great coaster

5: Deja Vu - Still amazed at how much this ride can still freak me out

6: Goliath - If I didn't "Brown Out" everytime it would be higher

7: Tatsu - Not my favorite Flyer, but a fun ride

8: Superman - A fun ride

9: Colossus - Would be higher if it was as good as in the past

10: Scream - A ride I appreciate more than I used to, but still not great

11: X2 - Ugh ...

12: Goldrusher - A fun mine train, especially at night

13: Revolution - Would be higher without the OTSR's

14: Viper - No comment

I'm most likely to start my day with Goliath. And least likely to want to ride Superman: The Escape. Though I usually intend to ride all these rides every time I make a trip to the Mountain

1) X2 - Do I even need to explain...

2) Terminator - Fun, fast, awesome, just so easy to enjoy it.

3)Tatsu - Two Words: PRETZEL LOOP.

4) Viper - I like this ride, dispite most people not, I find it to be awesome, the hangtime on the corkscrews is awesome!

5) Riddler's Revenge - Awesome layout, my last ride on it was GREAT, until the MCBR, it braked extra hard or something that it killed the airtime on the drop after the MCBR

6) Deja Vu - Probably the ONLY Vekoma I look forward to riding, except going up the first tower the second time

7) Batman - It might be a clone, but WOW. Zero-G and the corkscrews are awesome (especially in the back rows)

8) Ninja - REALLY AWESOME at night, the only part I hate is the lift back up to the station

9)Goliath - Meh, the lift feels just as steep as the drop. But the helix is stunning.

10) Gold Rusher - A classic, night rides are soooooo much fun.

11) Colossus - Night rides are really cool on it, mostly because its dark on some parts of the ride.

12) Scream - I used to like this ride back in 2006, but now...I try to avoid it.

13) Revolution - Well if you like getting hurt, this is your ride. Stupid OTSRs...I would like it if they weren't there.

14) Superman - OMG 100 MPH IN JUST 7 SECONDS!!!!!!! WORLD CLASS RIDE!!!!!!! Nah, it doesn't even feel 50mph, driving in my mom's Jetta on the freeway is more thrilling.

1. Terminator Salvation: The Ride (at night)

2. Tatsu

3. X2

4. Goliath

5. Terminator Salvation: The Ride (day)

6. Riddler's Revenge

7. Scream

8. Deja Vu

9. Batman the Ride

10. Superman the Escape

11. Viper

12. Colossus

13. Revolution

14. Gold Rusher

15. Ninja

16. Canyon Blaster

Commentary for the above:

1. When I rode this in the back in near darkness, it felt like the most out of control ride experience I'd ever had. It was nearly impossible to tell which way the train was going to go next, and it felt like the ride was going at around 70 mph through the darkness.

2. In my opinion, this is not only the best coaster at this park but the best coaster in California.

3. The only reason I like Tatsu better than this ride is because Tatsu is completely smooth and X2 is somewhat rough (but still not horrible).

4. The only smooth mega coaster I've been on, this ride has a pretty good first drop and a long airtime hill, although I'm not a huge fan of the helix of death.

5. The best wooden roller coaster I have been on, and one of the park's best attempts at a themed ride. If the ride were a little longer, it would probably be the best coaster at the park, but as it is now I still ride it at least twice per visit.

6. This ride is significantly better than the other stand-up roller coasters I have been on, and is an all around great ride. It would be ranked higher if I was more of a fan of inversions and it was a sitdown coaster.

7. Very much like Silver Bullet at Knott's, this is one of those rides that I ride every time I visit but don't think of it as anything particularly unique, intense, or worth a huge investment of time.

8. By Vekoma standards this is a pretty smooth ride, and it has a much more thrilling layout than the standard boomerang. Low capacity and long lines are the only reason I may not ride on a visit.

9. My least favorite inverted roller coaster, yet still in the top 20% of everything I've been on. My main problem with this ride is the intensity and the non-stop action. One of the few rides where I will actually have to take a break if I ride in the back half of the train, though I still ride every visit.

10. The only reason I ride this ride is for the weightlessness. The launch is only slightly better than Pony Express and the ride is even shorter. I'll only ride if the line is under about 15 minutes or I've already done all the other coasters at the park.

11. The best of the four Arrow custom looping coasters I've been on, this ride isn't that rough for an Arrow and is still worth a ride, but is not one of the more interesting rides at the park.

12. This ride may not have any airtime, but it does have a few pretty good drops that make it worth riding if the line is short.

13. Remove the shoulder harnesses and trim brakes from this ride and you could probably remove the one from its ranking.

14. The oldest roller coaster at the park is still a decent family ride. The only reason it is ranked so low is because there are more rides I'd like to ride better.

15. Even though it is better than Iron Dragon, Ninja just doesn't interest me much, and has the worst ending of any coaster I've been on.

16. Nothing but a simple kiddie coaster. One of the worst coasters I've been on, yet not so bad that I don't at least ride it occasionally.

Forgot to mention this.

when I went to the park yesterday, after I just got off Batman, I heard the funniest thing.

There was a woman and her family who were about to enter Batman's line, and apparently they were from Orlando (or at least never visited SFMM before) because the woman said to one of her kids, "It looks like Dueling Dragons!"

I understand why she said that, because the former Ice and our new painted Batman are practically the same minus the layout and theme, but it was still pretty funny.

Are they open now? It's been raining here for sometime now.

I was at the park today (Sunday) from 11a till almost 4p. It was open the entire time I was there, not sure if they did a early close, but people were still coming in when I left. All the coasters were open save for Deja, X2 and Ninja. Superman was open when I arrived, but as soon as the rain started it closed. Surprisingly, even in the rain, all the coasters were running two trains except Viper, Revolution and Goldrusher. Tatsu was even using both stations! Although it got cold and rainy, the park wasnt exactly empty. They had parked most of the front lot and even a row of the next lot past the picnic area. They seemed to be doing a great job of moving people through lines.

Some other observations of things that had changed since my last visit in October...

- The lights were working in Riddler's station

- They seem to have relocated the on-ride photo camera to the bottom of the first dive loop...or was it always there? Perhaps they are about to bring that back.

- Ride ops now clap when you return to the station on the coasters...EVERY coaster, EVERY time

- While they haven't painted Scream itself, they have hung new banners out front and applied paint to the blue and magenta walls at the entrance and leading up to the station.

- Pass processing is back outside the park next to Hurricane Harbor's gates. The area they had been using next to Flashback was closed up. I was happy to see they had a dedicated online purchases line as well.

- New asphalt on the entry roadways.

- Lots of visible patchwork has been done on the park walkways.

- One train on Batman has "sleeves" added to the upper portions of the harnesses.

- The new preshow doors on Terminator seem to help keep people focused on the show and not continuing to talk as if they were still outdoors.

Perhaps the most interesting new thing I saw was the Aquaman face character. He was hanging out near the Guest Necessities Center with Wonder Woman. In all the SFs I have been to, I have never seen him before.

01. Goliath - No visit to the park is complete without a Goliath ride!

02. Riddler's Revenge - I really like Stand-Up coasters, but this one I love!

03. X2 - Do I need to say why?

04. Tatsu - Ultra intense, great views, unique layout... Amazing at night!

05. Terminator Salvation: The Ride - Probably the smallest wooden coaster I've been on, but definitely the best! It's the B:TR of wood coasters!

06. Batman The Ride - Every second of this ride is intense!

07. Viper - high speed loops, slow speed batwing and corkscrews = awesome! Sometimes this ride is too rough though.

08. Deja Vu - Probably my least visited coaster, but every time I ride it, it leaves me breathless!

09. Colossus - I'm a big fan of every single drop on this ride.

10. Ninja - Love the ride an the ride's surroundings. Awesome in the back!

The Rest

11. Scream! - Fun ride but kind of unnecessary... SFMM has so many similar ride experiences on other coasters that Scream! has more of a "been there, done that" feeling to it. It's a shame because this coaster would totally stand out at other parks.

12. Revolution - I used to have so much love for Revolution, but I'm tired of getting beat up every time I ride it.

13. Gold Rusher - Weeeeee! Owwwwww! Fun and sometimes painful ride.

14. Superman The Escape - The only thrill on this ride is when the car rolls past the station into the maintenance pit.

15. Canyon Blaster - Yeah I've got the credit.

Perhaps the most interesting new thing I saw was the Aquaman face character. He was hanging out near the Guest Necessities Center with Wonder Woman. In all the SFs I have been to, I have never seen him before.

Can you say Aquaman Aquatrax? As for the rain they predict rain all this week so would they have a problem with the Saturday crowd if it pours Friday.

Andrew "Coasters in the rain " Iorio

- They seem to have relocated the on-ride photo camera to the bottom of the first dive loop...or was it always there? Perhaps they are about to bring that back.

I've also noticed that (for a while now). I think it has been there ever since my first ride on Riddler's in June 08'...but I've never seen a photo booth for the ride.

That's great that the ride ops now clap when you get back to the station. I remember everyone did that at Cedar Point and it definitely gave the park more positive energy.

I know they've been doing the clapping thing on Scream for a bit now, and it just comes off as weird to me. For one thing, the ride ops are very unenthusiastic about it, and secondly, it's kinda confuses you about why they should be clapping for you.

I've also noticed that (for a while now). I think it has been there ever since my first ride on Riddler's in June 08'...but I've never seen a photo booth for the ride.

The photo booth is the gas station themed building near the exit.

Last year I was at the park almost once a month up until October, and still I couldnt remember where the camera was. So it very well could have been in the same spot the whole time.

I just think its interesting they have been maintaining that strobe light, while letting other lights and theming burn out in other areas of the park...the ride hasnt had an operating photo booth in years. Unless, of course, it has an extremely long-life light bulb.

That's great that the ride ops now clap when you get back to the station. I remember everyone did that at Cedar Point and it definitely gave the park more positive energy.

They did that at HRRR and I almost took it as, "Yay, you didn't get stuck anywhere on the ride so we're clapping for you!!!"

The on-ride photo on Riddler has been there ever since the ride opened in '98. As far as I can remember, it has flashed ever since then despite the photo booth being inoperable for (I'm guessing) the last five or six years. The Batman and Superman photo booths have suffered the same fate, unfortunately. I don't quite understand this... as long as they sell two or three photos an hour, those booths must be profitable. Put the photos in a nice-looking sleeve and people will buy them.