TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Really?

Six Flags Magic Mountain takes one rabbit hop out of a ride and it ceases to be fun. Really?

And if they put it back in, it will be fun. Really?

There are three drops on the ride and several other elements that give me a smile when I ride.

This has been a very short segment of "Really?! with Will"

I'm sorry; it's not coming back unless someone with their own money buys the park. But they need to have so much money that they don't have to worry about stockholders or return on investment.

But it's still fun IMO

If you do anything enough times, even riding a roller coaster, it can cease to be fun no matter how little the experience itself has changed. (remember when you first got your drivers permit?)

There are many here who love roller coasters but walk right past that ride (Colossus) because, as we all know, its quite ho-hum when you stack it next to the rest of the collection.

And it ceased to be "fun" when they killed the second half of the ride, ceased racing operations, and replaced the rolling stock for whatever is clunking around the track today.

People are not stupid. That ride is a Southern California classic and plenty of people that visit MM know this. You mention ROI in your post. I can't think of a better ROI than restoring this ride.

People are suckers for nostalgia. Electric Light Parade, Captain EO, Submarine Voyage; there's a reason Disney is the most successful at what they do...

BTW, 2011 marks the 20th anniversary of the addition of the block brake. There are 4 wooden roller coasters in Southern California. Why not have the best 2?

Really?

Six Flags Magic Mountain takes one rabbit hop out of a ride and it ceases to be fun. Really?

And if they put it back in, it will be fun. Really?

There are three drops on the ride and several other elements that give me a smile when I ride.

This has been a very short segment of "Really?! with Will"

I'm sorry; it's not coming back unless someone with their own money buys the park. But they need to have so much money that they don't have to worry about stockholders or return on investment.

You mean they did before?

"If you are talking about the MCBR, weren't those added on because a woman was thrown off and died because of it years ago?" (coasterking2981)

SFMM added the MCBR on Colossus in 1991 because they wanted to be able to run three trains on each track. Unfortunately, they rarely do now.

For me, Colossus is not a bad ride; these days it's really a giant kiddie coaster. If any of you rode it in its first season, you rode it when it was truly mean.

Eric

I did not ride Colossus when it was new. I rode it for the first time in 1983, but I do remember it being much more intense, and much more fun than it is now. I still ride it mainly for the nostalgia factor. I do still like it to some extent, but it does not compare to the newer, better coasters. At this point I consider it a family coaster. The first 3 drops are still pretty fun but the rest of the ride is very tame, especially the final turnaround before the bunny hops. It feels like you could get out and run the same speed. I think it is fine that they run 2 trains on it, because it rarely has a line anymore. Even when I was there in July and August, it was a walk on.

^I doubt it. If Terminator didn't get a 2 hour line on its opening day, I don't think our Roller Skater will. But you never know.

Terminator was ACHIEVING 2 hour wait times when it was running one train this past summer. I waited 145 minutes for it this past July

Does this count?

^I doubt it. If Terminator didn't get a 2 hour line on its opening day, I don't think our Roller Skater will. But you never know.

I waited in the full 2 hour line backed out to the entrance on opening day. And saw it full for most of the day too.

If you do anything enough times, even riding a roller coaster, it can cease to be fun no matter how little the experience itself has changed. (remember when you first got your drivers permit?)

There are many here who love roller coasters but walk right past that ride (Colossus) because, as we all know, its quite ho-hum when you stack it next to the rest of the collection.

And it ceased to be "fun" when they killed the second half of the ride, ceased racing operations, and replaced the rolling stock for whatever is clunking around the track today.

People are not stupid. That ride is a Southern California classic and plenty of people that visit MM know this. You mention ROI in your post. I can't think of a better ROI than restoring this ride.

People are suckers for nostalgia. Electric Light Parade, Captain EO, Submarine Voyage; there's a reason Disney is the most successful at what they do...

BTW, 2011 marks the 20th anniversary of the addition of the block brake. There are 4 wooden roller coasters in Southern California. Why not have the best 2?

Texas Giant style makeover anyone?

Terminator was ACHIEVING 2 hour wait times when it was running one train this past summer. I waited 145 minutes for it this past July

Does this count?

I'd say no. A two hour wait due to reducing capacity of a ride isn't the same thing as a two hour wait due to everyone and their mother wanting to ride it.

^^ tee hee.

(About) Colossus... I would be all for it getting a make over. I think Six Flags MM is getting to the point that it has everything (roller coaster wise) and does not need anything more.... we just need our Kingda Ka clone, of course

But I, awill961, approve of a Colossus makeover. The first drop is the only ride that gives me the drop stomach feeling, butterflies in your stomach sensation or w/e it is... not even Goliath or X give me that feeling.

I'd say do it!

I rode Terminator for the first time on Wed 5/27/09. It had a 20 min line both times I rode it that day. I also got some walk ons during the summer because I rode it as soon as the park opened. I avoided opening weekend to avoid the lines you have described. The longest I have waited to ride it is 30 mins, except for one time when it broke down and what would have been a 20 min wait became 45 mins.

Colossus makeover, Scream makeover...why not re-do that whole area!?

Seriously, while it probably isn't the first thing the park should do/worry about right now, both rides (and that area) could use it. I look forward to seeing what that area looks like in, say, 10 years...

I'd like to see scream transform into bizarro

that would be nice

That would be a good idea. However, I think it would only work if the made the area from BMTR to the Scream!/Colossus area a DC comics land of some sort. This would tie all the rides together in a pretty large themed land... But then you'd have Superman, which could easily be re-themed. Speaking of which did they ever replace the Superman statue on top of the ride?

that would be interesting to see how they would fit

colossus with the DC area if that were to happen

Brad - As a moderator on the site, we at TPR demand that all members use proper capitalization. Please keep that in mind in future posts.

The Superman statue has not been replaced. Having grass underneath Scream would look better than the old parking spaces we currently see, but it is not a big deal to me either way. Scream is one of my favorite coasters either way. The color of the ride or theming of the area is secondary to me.