TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

When you hire employees at minimum wage or close too minimum wage, and it's a temporary summer job, you are going to be hard pressed to have a crew that gives 100% everyday all day. It takes time to weed out the bad seeds but unfortunatly the summer temp jobs only last so long so I can imagine it would be very difficult to have the perfect crew everyday.

I personally don't think it's the wages, though that is an issue. There are plenty of people who give 100% at a job with low pay, because I was raised on and live by the philosophy that "low pay is better than no pay". I think where the main issue is that the hiring process isn't as rigorous as it should be. Let's say (hypothetically of course) you hire four people that will later become undisirable employees, and for the sake of the example they all end up at the same ride (to compliment Papas' findings, let's say it Deja Vu) and they all end up doing a terrible job while there. Management can fire them all for doing a bad job, and not displaying the Six Flags mantra. However, as just displayed, that crew in one day created an image that people see as "these are the people Six Flags hires?" To add to that, those of us who know what the red tags mean, then the image is "these are the people Six Flags promotes?" I personally think that (not just in this case, but as a general rule) that a job as essential as ride operations is in the amusement industry that the job should at least require you to be 21. Chances are, at that age you are a little more responsible and have probably had more time to get a taste of working, and know the ins-and-outs of being an "employee".

I also think that Six Flags could do a better job of training and teaching their employees that they are the "face" of the company. Jay Thomas and Tim Burkhart have done phenomenal job at bringing this park from its desolate state circa 2003-04. However, the average person visiting the park can't see all the hard work that goes on behind the scenes. All they see is the operators at Deja Vu talking to each other for minutes at a time before they even remember "oh yea, I'm at work! Silly me, OMG". Until they can find a way for every employee to climb on board that they are ambassadors to the company, all the behind-the-scenes work means nothing.

I dont have a problem with Six Flags employees, its mainly that their parks do not have the system and infastructure in place to properly run the big parks, and now with all the financial issues they've accumulated do not have the money to fix those things. SFMMs rides in general I think are mantained very well, the big issues with the park are mainly cosmetic and operational. Having a larger 3rd shift presence would help that park a LOT but it looks like theres no hope for that. Also they dont have much fulltime opportunity and like the 3rd shift positions, a lot of the management positions have been cut over the years as a result they dont have the talent in their work force like the big-brand parks do.

Plus the people who work at Six Flags are responsible for doing more work than at most other corporate parks, some of the quality naturally is sacrificed. The leads on the rides have to do inspections on the rides then run them all day while managing the crew and do all of the training. Once again this is an infastructure problem, at most other corporate parks the training at the location is scheduled with a trainer and you get better quality training. Whereas at Six Flags, a lot of times the ride doesnt even have a lead so they are sent to other rides that have leads to train which screws up the line schedule and causes staffing issues, plus the quality of training isnt as good because the lead is doing other things at the same time. Then because the person isnt trained as well they are not as good at their job and get themselves fired then the process starts over And since they dont have the oppurtunity anymore the good leads leave for other career oppurtunities and they end up promoting people who dont care and everything trickles down and you have a crew of 3 leads at DejaVu who suck.

Sorry for going back to the topic of Lo-Q bots, but are they actually worth it?

I'll be going to the park this Sunday and I don't want to shell out $100+ if it's not worth it. Last time I was at the park was about 4 years ago (before Tatsu opened) and I want to make the best out of this trip.

So how are the wait times on a weekend (specifically Sundays) these days during the summer? If it's crowded, would it be possible to get to the park before opening, and run straight to X2, ride it, then go to Terminator without a significant line? Also, how are the "wait times" on rides like Goliath, Batman, Deja Vu, and Riddler's on regular Flashpasses (as opposed to pretty much 'no wait' on Gold)?

I'll be going to the park this Sunday and I don't want to shell out $100+ if it's not worth it.

Well you can always not buy Flash Pass ahead of time, and then scout the wait times after you've arrived along with the crowds.

That being said, "summer weekend" should be all you need to know about what the crowd level will likely be.

Batman's crew was stacking on Tues night. In fact, we sat on the brakes in the dark so long, I thought the ride had gone down.

Goliath's crew was motoring, Terminator's was fast too, Scream was operating smoothly. Of course, these were momentary observations - who knows how the rides are operating now.

I don't why, but Batman is very prone to stacking. When I use to work at Batman, We always had to wait on the people because they either forgot to take off their shoe or other items they might have forgot. Also we had to deal with people who could barely fit in the seat. They only time I remember not stacking was when I was working with this other coworker, other then that we always stacked.

I'll be going to the park this Sunday and I don't want to shell out $100+ if it's not worth it.

Well you can always not buy Flash Pass ahead of time, and then scout the wait times after you've arrived along with the crowds.

That being said, "summer weekend" should be all you need to know about what the crowd level will likely be.

Not only is it "summer crowds" but it's also one of the Free Friend Admission Sundays in the season pass coupon book, so it may effect crowd levels.

Today (July 30th) Terminator was running 2 trains. It seems as though people have been talking about one train op the past couple weeks. Lines weren't too bad at all. Deja was maybe 1:45 hours. X2 about 1. Terminator was running better than ever and only had a 30 minute wait time. There seem to be more ads then ever. The jumbotron in X2's station is now playing ads for that new GI Joe movie as well as the original X2 video. And the only ride down today was Thrill Shot. Just in case anyone was wondering how weekdays have been.

Hello; I registered for TPR after (somewhat obsessively) reading its forums for a while. Anyway, I visited SFMM (with 2 of my friends) on July 28, and I have decided that my first post will be a long (photoless) trip report:

After arriving at the gates at 10 AM and enduring an incredibly tacky preshow, SFMM opened the gates a few minutes before 10:30. My friends and I (along with most of the general public) sprinted towards X2 to find that the line had not been opened as the coaster was still testing. A medium-sized crowd gathered around the entrance behind us as we waited for the testing to finish (trains could be seen and heard in the background). After about 10 minutes, a SFMM employee opened the line and everybody pushed and shoved their way towards the station. We were incredibly lucky that we were towards the front of the group and our wait was no less than 30 minutes. The ride was great (as always) and the front seat makes the drop so much more exciting with nothing in front but the ground. After our ride on X2, we made our way to Terminator but not before being wowed by X2's line, which was to the end of the bridge. Terminator was (thank goodness), running 2 trains and had a 5 minute line (the employee let us skip the preshow). Sitting in the back, the ride was quite forceful and had more airtime than expected. The misters were on full blast, but there was no fire... The re-ride took about a 15 minute line, and the 2nd row was less powerful, but still a great ride.

After TS:TR, we made our way to Deja, which had only a 30 minute line (though all the switchbacks were filled when we left). After Deja, we rode Goldrusher, which was truly a walk-on. Then, we went on Riddler's 3 times in a row and began to feel a little sick. So, instead of opting for B:TR, we made for Goliath. We rode twice, and I must admit that I am very guilty of ducking on Goliath's tunnel. After eating lunch, we waited about 5 minutes for Superman, which broke, so we ascended the Sky Tower. I must say that the views are stunning and that X2's fire from the Sky Tower looks nothing short of daunting. Also, by this time (3:30ish), Terminator had a line that looked about 90 minutes, so we were feeling pretty good as we descended and headed for Tatsu. The line wasn't too bad (none of the switchbacks were filled) and they were running both stations (1 train on each side). We make it into the station and there were "technical difficulties". From what we could tell, some woman had lost something on the ride, and mechanics were walking about, so I guess there were 2 problems. In the end, the wait was an hour (still very bearable).

After our ride on Tatsu, we headed back to Batman, where there was no line until the stairs into the station. When we entered the station, there were some more "technical difficulties" (though not as bad as those on Tatsu). So, the line grew, and the wait time on our 2nd ride was perhaps 15 minutes. After Batman, we headed down to Scream! where there was actually a solid 20 minute wait (albeit for the front). By that time, it was already about 6:45, so we headed back to Tatsu for a sunset ride. After our sunset ride on Tatus (with stunningly beautiful views), we made for X2 which had a wait of about an hour (and maybe 10 minutes). None of the switchbacks past the 2 vending machines were filled, and the video screens were showing the Break.com ads, so the wait felt quite short. By the time we boarded the ride, the sun had completely set, so we faced X2 in pitch black darkness. Taking the front seat again, I actually felt some sort of apprehension (as in "What the f*** am I doing, going on this ride in pitch blackness") ascending the lift. At the top of the lift, before the drop, the 2 or 3 seconds when the seats lean back and face the sky (for the seats farther back to finish the lift) felt like 30 seconds (yet they carried a feeling of serenity, staring at the sky dotted with stars. Soon enough, the ride really began and I truly understood why people say that X2 is so much better at night. I won't elaborate too much, but I would just like to say that the fire effect at night is one of the coolest things I've experienced in a LONG time. When we got off X2, it was still only 9:40, so we dashed to Tatsu for a final flight at night. We missed a re-ride by only about 2 minutes.

Ride Count:

X2 2x

Tatsu 3x

Riddler's 3x

TS:TR 2x

B:TR 2x

Goliath 2x

Deja Vu 1x

Goldrusher 1x

Scream! 1x

Sky Tower 1x

Final Conclusion: SFMM crowds are virtually nonexistent on summer Tuesdays. Or, we were just INCREDIBLY lucky.

^You say crowds were non existant, but you waited over an hour for a few rides and said you saw lines over an hour long.

Sorry, sounds crowded to me. I won't wait in lines that long!

Glad you had fun!

I'd like to see a solid transition to a separate ticketed event. This year for example, charge $10 for the wristband, with an additional maze and mayve a show in the MM theater, and increase the quality. Also, there are plenty of dark spots along the path from Rev to Tatsu and atop Sammurai Summit that would be perfect for "scare zones". I don't think there was too much of that last year-or any year for that matter. I think that as you increase the quality of event (little by little) and increase the price of this wristband 5 bucks per year, in 6 or so years, I think Fright Fest would be worth paying another $40 or $45. It would give people enough time to embrace the extra charge, and at the same time the content within the park would have increased to justify the higher upcharge.

Haven't seen it mentioned here, but anybody going SATURDAY should expect larger than normal crowds. Saturday is "MTV VMA TOUR" with a live concert from Alexis y Fido, Kat De Luna and Da Zoo. I Know the radio stations have been handing out ticket '4 packs' like crazy. Just thought I'd mention it!

Chris.

It's about 2 months away till Fright Fest and there are other post about other Halloween events such as Horror Nights. What would like to see changed or done differently from last years Fright Fest?

1. Make Goliath's tunnel all misty and red so it looks like your diving into the bowls of He//

2. Tell the riders on S:TE, prior before the launch, that a piece of the track broke and that they are unable to stop the launch (Probably wont work but I'd do it just for kicks , and then probably get a severe talk to with the supervisors)

3. Theme Log Jammer or Splashdown to a werewolf stalking the hills, and have the area dressed up with broken cages, scattered artificial body parts, have the employees you have to sit by the drops and lift hills all bloody and everything, and of course have an employee in a werewolf costume before the final drop or theme one of them to the upcoming Trick 'r Treat film by Warner Bros.

4. Yeah definately some scare zones in the walkway under Revolution. Or at least a new maze.

I just got back from a 3 day trip at Magic Mountain and it was unbelievable. I couldn't belive how short the lines on Goliath, Terminator, Deja Vu, Batman, Riddler and Superman were in the morning. The line for Goliath was 5 min all day until about 8 at night and at most it was 15 min. Thats probably because X2 and Tatsu had 2 hour lines. I only got to go on X2 once. I had to do the run for the ride when the park opens thing to get to a 15 min wait for X2 but I'm very glad I did that because X2 was probably my favorite. Tatsu I got on about 5 times. It was frustrating because whenever they opened two stations the line would go from 2 hours to 15 minutes. The line was pretty short at night too. What my question was is that is it like a tradition for park guests to spit gum out wherever they can at the top of the lifthill or is that just people being bums because I saw about 200 pieces of gum at the top of each lift hill except terminator, deja vu and x2. They even managed to cover one of the support beams on Tatsu with gum.

What my question was is that is it like a tradition for park guests to spit gum out wherever they can at the top of the lifthill or is that just people being bums because I saw about 200 pieces of gum at the top of each lift hill except terminator, deja vu and x2. They even managed to cover one of the support beams on Tatsu with gum.

That's just how disgusting, disrespectful and lazy people are. They probably havent heard of something called a trashcan.

Yeah SFMM always has gum-covered coaster supports. Another classic GP move at SFMM is spitting at the end of Tatsu. As people wait to head back into the station, they notice where countless others have worn away the paint on the floor beneath them with saliva, and then they follow suit. Goes to show you that most people aren't only disgusting and disrespectful, but that they have a sheep-like mentality.