TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I guess I need to get out more because I've never seen or heard of "Deluge." That does look like a lot of fun and would be a good fit for either park.

On the subject of "prime real estate" within SFMM, remember that Freefall is now gone, and I've heard rumors about Tidal Wave's future not looking so rosy. That would open up a huge spot as well.

Wiggles World is supposed to come to the park next year or 2011, as is a new coaster next year. It'll be interesting to see where all of that goes.

Eric

I think there is plenty of room for future expansions all throughout the park. Look at tatsu, it was built over the top of revolution, I think the area over by log jammer could fit something if they were creative. The point I'm trying to make is that as long as there is room for a station and a queue then the rest can be built over and around any buildings or rides. That opens up a lot of opportunities!

That's so true! They have plenty of room to build. But, the next thing I would like to see from SFMM is one or two state of the art flat rides. Something that no one has seen before! I love flat rides, especially Inverter @ Adventure Dome in Vegas.

Also does anyone have suggestions for tackling the mountain on Sat? I will be in town for the weekend and plan on making a trip to SFMM. I wont be able to get there for opening, but i was wondering how the lines usually are in the evening and night on the weekends.

If the park were to build a ride in the area of Flashback, I think it should have more of a traditional, trademark feel. For example, a carousel SCREAMS amusement park.

For a front of the park ride, I think the water coaster type slide would be great! It could even be themed like Dragons Lair at Schlitterbahn. If not a water ride, I think a S&S tower would be a good addition. A combo tower, or double shots would be great.

If it has to be a coaster, I think a custom spinning coaster would be a great family addition.

If the park were to build a ride in the area of Flashback, I think it should have more of a traditional, trademark feel. For example, a carousel SCREAMS amusement park.

For a front of the park ride, I think the water coaster type slide would be great! It could even be themed like Dragons Lair at Schlitterbahn. If not a water ride, I think a S&S tower would be a good addition. A combo tower, or double shots would be great.

If it has to be a coaster, I think a custom spinning coaster would be a great family addition.

Some valid points. There's all ready a carousel in a prime location not too far from there. A tower might be nice, but I think a tower would work better on a hill like on Samurai Summit. As for a water ride, I would like them to overhual Log Jammer with some serious theming.

The more I think about it, just expand HH and be done with it.

Just booked up for my second consecutive year in California. Got round all of SFMM last year in a day (except Deja Vu which was not working). Thinking of KBF this year but is TS:TR worth making the return trip for? (I can only get away with one park)

^^Forget Knotts, MM is THE SoCal coaster park to see this summer. IMO, Terminator is worth missing KBF.

I think a ride like the Mountain Express or any kind of wild mouse ride would be AWESOME in Flashbacks spot. It makes a smaller ride for families and it would increase the coaster count at a relatively small cost. MM could spend a couple million and get a really cool one and theme it like they have been, I think it'd be a hit!

I also agree about the deluge rides, I believe they're LIM powered and so they offer quite a unique ride, although it might not increase the coaster count it definitly would be cool for them to offer the HH attraction during the summer and MM attraction during the winter.

Six Flags needs a ride there where people looking from outside the gate/fence are salivating over. I don't think this water ride does that. Especially, what makes you so sure SFMM would run it during the HH off-season? Roarin' Rapids was closed for the Winter. I don't think SFMM wants to operate a ride that nobody wants to get on because it's too cold. If they do it, just leave it in HH permanently and be done with it.

Roaring Rapids was closed for Refurb, not becuase it was winter.

Here is a couple recent pictures of two pieces of land, where I think they should consider building something.

The first is alot of good land above the first drop of Revolution, and build a coaster high above the trees for the station, the track, and have it wrap around the area, and Roaring Rapids perhaps. The track even coming close to tatsu or the Sky Tower would be awesome.

The second is the old area where Flashback used to be. They need to tear out that old Monorail station, that old Processing Center/Lost & Found area, and use all that land for an exciting new attraction, perhaps a flat ride or two, a kid's ride, the fore mentioned Wiggles World, a new water ride. I am sure plans are being made for that land for 2010 or 2011.

Tim

P1010147rev.jpg.fa67075825c1d0b0fa7c44cf7efc40ff.jpg

This land where Flashback used to be is a great spot for a new attraction for a theme area. They should consider removing the old Monorail station, and rusty trams, the processing center/lost & found, and use this entire area for a new attraction. The Lost & Found can be moved elsewhere near Six Flags Plaza.

P1010184rev.jpg.12554b6dbb0486ec3fc39b46ddfd52fd.jpg

Above the first drop of Revoultion. They can do something with that, and bring that land to life, as they did for Tatsu over Revolution, why not try it again, but this time it goes over Roaring Rapids and Log Jammer.

Pardon me for breaking into this "Where is there room to build ___" discussion, but I saw something underneath Batman's station from the Flashpass yesterday that I thought was pretty neat!

52509145.jpg.be28dcc01d2020ad5a1788f561ecf6f8.jpg

Is this common knowledge? I've never heard of it before, but it looks neat!

The second is the old area where Flashback used to be. They need to tear out that old Monorail station, that old Processing Center/Lost & Found area, and use all that land for an exciting new attraction, perhaps a flat ride or two, a kid's ride, the fore mentioned Wiggles World, a new water ride. I am sure plans are being made for that land for 2010 or 2011.

Tim

I think Flashback's lot is a good place for Wiggles World, especially if they could tie it into Bug's Bunny World. I know they mentioned at West Coast Bash about eventually removing The Metro. Maybe it is on the "to do" list in the next two seasons. I'm hoping our next coaster is Tony Hawk's Big Spin or some other spinning coaster. With rumors of Tidal Wave closing and the new Extreme Sports Stunt Show coming into the Movie District, I think THBS would do great in that location.

^ I'm not apposed to a spinning coaster but i hope they don't go with a cut and paste Tony Hawk thats at other parks. I think of Magic Mountain as unique rides or one of a kinds or firsts and not clones. Minus Scream.

Personally if they take the wild mouse route I'm hoping for a Gerstlauer bobsled style. Something different for the states, good for everyone to ride.

^THBS is has a partial wild mouse layout to it. I don't necessarily agree with the copy, paste way of building rides, but it is Six Flags we are talking about. I think a spinning coaster would make another great family addition coaster for the park.

I think if they wanted to go with the wild mouse route they wouldn't have turned down The Dark Knight when it was offered to them. Then again, it would be a great addition to The Movie District (Being that it is a movie related ride) or Gotham City.

I would really like to see that Flashback area used for a much needed SFHH expansion. Also remember that there were quite a few noise and safety issues with a large coaster right next to the water park. Flashback often had to be closed while SFHH was open because the lifeguards could not hear each other when they had to shout signals to each other.

If that Flashback area was used for SFHH, there wouldn't be any large coaster boarding it since it's all mostly quieter Bugs Bunny World rides.

--Robb

I agree that SoCal should have been the first place to get a Tony Hawk coaster, however in my opinion I would like to see something more along the lines of an intamin hydro launch, or even something like Maverick. To me that would be a good addition. But I see why adding a Tony Hawk would be smart, it's cost effective, family friendly, and doesn't take up a lot of land.

With So Cal being the skateboard capitol of the world I would agree that a themed ride with a name like Tony Hawk attached would make perfectly sense for Magic Mountain

Just imagine all the Twittering, My Space and Facebook interactions that would happen even during constructions. These are millions of $ in free advertising

Getting to know Jay Thomas and the new(well, by now established) management, I dont think they would go for just a Tony Hawk Clone, otherwise we would take a ride on Dark Knight these days...

Personally I think they like the challenge on doing the most with whatever money they will get from the corporate office

Put it this way, Jay, Neil and the rest of the magic mountain team are not people who will take a coaster/blueprint from another park just to build it for the sake of a coaster count

In jobs like these you always like a challenge, otherwise it would get boring and you would loose these guys towards another company

This post is getting long, but have to mention if you get a chance to watch the video on themeparkinsider(i think) with Jay Thomas and the editor of that site. Jay was like a little kid, clapping and being not just happy but confident that they brought something to the park that is not only unique but will set a blueprint for things to come

I think we will get something Tony Hawk next year(just makes sense), but dont think it will be a clone

I agree with everything you just typed. A Tony Hawk ride in Freefall's old spot would suit the park well. I hope they go with an Intamin spinner though, and push the limits a little bit with a new design and a grander, more interactive theme.