TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

It would take one heck of an entrepenuer to take the limited resources Magic Mountain has to work with and build the kind of sit-down restaurant experience we're looking for. I don't see how the park could do it without it being an already-established name like Chili's or Islands or something like that, and even they might not like having to work inside the box Magic Mountain would give them.

Still it's something that should be looked into at least. If a place like Mountasia can afford to have the sit-down Farrell's...what's REALLY stopping Magic Mountain?

I really hope they put a great restaurant on Samarai Summit. Four Winds could be successful if they brought it back, but a new over-the-top restaurant (think Blue Bayou or Mythos) could be a home run.

One obstacle to success for a hilltop restaurant will be the lack of easy access. Hopefully park management has included transportation for the back side of the hill in the five-year plan.

I really hope they put a great restaurant on Samarai Summit. Four Winds could be successful if they brought it back, but a new over-the-top restaurant (think Blue Bayou or Mythos) could be a home run.

One obstacle to success for a hilltop restaurant will be the lack of easy access. Hopefully park management has included transportation for the back side of the hill in the five-year plan.

I don't think Blue Bayou/Mythos is possible, given the fact that Six Flags has to give away the gate just to get people in the door. Then they've had to put up those Code of Conduct signs in multiple areas to try and detour those people from screwing up the park & the experience for other people.

Maybe once Magic Mountain attracts the same kind of families with high-limit credit cards that Disneyland does, they can think of investing in a restaurant like Bayou/Mythos, but that's a looooooooong way off if ever.

And location is a HUGE problem with a hill of that size. Orient Express or no Orient Express, anything on that hill is going to suffer from that location. I have a feeling that's one of the reasons Tatsu's entrance is where it is, instead of across from Ninja's entrance. They know more people will walk up through Rapids Camp than trudge all the way up that hill.

I'm not saying it would be impossible to spruce up the Laughing Dragon/Four Winds Restaurant building, and then point to Orient Express as easy access up to that hill and the restaurant. That just wouldn't be consistent with the Magic Mountain we've seen in the past 20 years. They're not doing much to advertise the new Magic of the Mountain Museum that I've seen, why would they do something for a new restaurant even if they thought it was a good investment?

In regards to the skytower...

You wouldnt have to use gas you could use electricity. But the bathroom thing would be challenging but possible. Overall a project like that would be very expensive but you have to admit it would be an amazing thing.

In regards to the skytower...

You wouldnt have to use gas you could use electricity. But the bathroom thing would be challenging but possible. Overall a project like that would be very expensive but you have to admit it would be an amazing thing.

The bathroom and the kitchen itself would take up more than half of the level, also, since they cannot be placed in the center of the tower. (the hyatt revolving restaurant in downtown phoenix is an example of a successful restaurant [and it revolves!])

basically, it would not only look tacky, but very limited in space. So as far as being a restaurant, very unlikely it would happen, but opening up in a future time is definitely plausible.

Speaking of fog and special effects ....

... I wonder if the new management is going to get the fog for Batman and Goliath going again. I can't imagine it costing too much. It just adds so a lot to the experience. Especially the fog they had when you returned to the Batman station.

Speaking of fog and special effects ....

... I wonder if the new management is going to get the fog for Batman and Goliath going again.

Did the fog on Goliath break as well? I could have sworn it was working at least once last year when I rode... on a rainy cold day, no less

hello all!!!

I am currently at the park, and it for the most part has been a good day.

the only things that really didn't make my day is that one of my favorite Hypers is closed "Goliath." Also as soon a i was about to get on viper it had stopped on the lift. I don't know why viper was stuck, or why Goliath was closed, but it sucked bad.

Other then that the park looks great. everything is running smooth. The park is semi-crowded, but not to bad. the whole park seems to be full of life. As it should be for a busy Saturday. I should have a full TR of my day, and hopefully the reason why goliath was closed and viper brakedown.

see ya later.

--Justin

I wonder if the new management is going to get the fog for Batman and Goliath going again. I can't imagine it costing too much. It just adds so a lot to the experience. Especially the fog they had when you returned to the Batman station.

I agree! Batman is a completly different experience with the fog (not to mention all of the effects in the queue). When I was there a few weeks ago I belive that the fog was on on Goliath.

I always liked the effects in the Batman station, who would think that without proper upkeep it would manage to lose the blighted look! I can't remember the last time I saw the park have fog in those trenches, however I'm not a big fan of Batman, so I seldom find myself on that coaster.

hello all!!!

the only things that really didn't make my day is that one of my favorite Hypers is closed "Goliath." Also as soon a i was about to get on viper it had stopped on the lift. I don't know why viper was stuck, or why Goliath was closed, but it sucked bad.

Other then that the park looks great. everything is running smooth. The park is semi-crowded, but not to bad. the whole park seems to be full of life. As it should be for a busy Saturday. I should have a full TR of my day, and hopefully the reason why goliath was closed and viper brokedown.

see ya later.

--Justin

Hmm, I'm heading to the Mountain tomorrow. If you happen to see Goliath start up again, let me know. It'd be a bummer to have it down tomorrow too! =(

That's a small consolation considering how craptacular it has become. Did you ride it at WCB? Unridable!

Totally agree, and I don't feel like it's an exaggeration, it's really not what it used to be. Revolution is one of my favorite rides at the park, and with the condition it's in now with how hard the shoulder restraints are, I just skip it.

I have a feeling that's one of the reasons Tatsu's entrance is where it is, instead of across from Ninja's entrance. They know more people will walk up through Rapids Camp than trudge all the way up that hill.

I'm gonna have to disagree. Tatsu's the newest ride in the park, it'd be busy whether or not the entrance was in Rapids Camp Crossing or Samuari Summit. Which is why I thought it was odd they didn't put the entrance up on the hill. It would have brought a much needed crowd up on the mountain.

Which might have been large enough to sustain a crowd for a restaurant.

For X2 I'm guessing the fog will be at the bottom of the first drop (it's already below ground) and at the 2nd raven turn (also below ground). Where the fire will be is anyones guess, I'm really interested to see how they're going to pull it off. I am disappointed about the tunnels going away, especially with the possibility of having one at the turn before the lift.

Since you guys are finally talking about Batman I thought I'd repost this from last week:

Besides, if I had my druthers I'd say the repair of Batman's theming elements should come before the Scream blacktop. I mean there's the cop car lights and sounds, the water from the hydrant, the fan and sound effects in the tunnel, the dripping sound effect on the stairs, the huge Batman logo and lighting issues in the station, the fog in the ride trenches AND the fog after the transfer track.. it's a long list of 7+ year old issues! And Scream is only 5!!! Priorities people, hahaha just kidding. No I'm not. :o)

1) I've documented the 8 (!!) aspects of the Batman theming in dis-repair on the previous page. That is below standard. Compared to what it could be it's a shell of its former self. Very entertaining queue line and on-ride effects.... about 7 to 10 years ago when they worked. The BatCave puts an old castle with dragons to shame! Please consider showing some love.

Lots of fun stuff to fix on that ride. When working the queue and in-ride elements made up a completely different experience.

-Sam @ San Diego

I know that the mist on Goliath was addressed at the DVD Premiere Party...don't remember what was said exactly though!

Anyone out there rememeber?

I think it had something to do with the train or track getting rusted. I'm not so sure either, but it was something like that.

hello all!!!

Other then that the park looks great. everything is running smooth. The park is semi-crowded, but not to bad. the whole park seems to be full of life. As it should be for a busy Saturday. I should have a full TR of my day, and hopefully the reason why goliath was closed and viper brokedown.

see ya later.

--Justin

Hmm, I'm heading to the Mountain tomorrow. If you happen to see Goliath start up again, let me know. It'd be a bummer to have it down tomorrow too! =(

One of the people told me they weren't able to get the ride going sence this morning. On the light side he said that it should be open tommorow.

SOOOOOO much better than the first one! It really captures how crazy the ride is. I also like that it gives you some unique angles too. Great job!

Robb, did you film that or did the park? Either way, I'd like to congratulate whoever did it.

Yes! This video is great! I cannot wait to head back out and ride this beast!!

John

sorry to change the subject but they put a professional video of X2 on the main page also they added a count down! (go to the 2nd bulletpoint and press watch video)

http://www.sixflags.com/magicMountain/index.aspx

I personally can not say enough good things about the park management. When a group goes over and beyond and did what they did for us the night of WCB. I was one of the unfortunates who had the locker dilemna at the end of the night, the incident where everyones stuff got kept in the main lockers. Jay and Neil both spearheaded a very prompt drive to get our stuff removed from the lockers. Yeah it took a little while, but, how often will you see the management of a park give the go ahead for mechanics to break into the lockers....literally, with a crow bar and other tools....they tried to get the locker company back out there, and they might have(I got my stuff out very quickly then left).....they werent concerned of the cost of replacing possibly dozens of lockers, instead, our satiafaction came first.....shoot, someone even came around and gave us all free admission passes into the park......might be a small incident in some peoples eyes, but to me, it showed their sincerity.

^The one thing that does annoy me about that whole situation though, was I brought it up at the theater. "Hey, will the lockers still be open after ERT cause people have..." And I was cut off with a hand gesture and everything: "Of course, don't worry"

And then we all know what happened!