TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Screamscape posting this in regards to the Sign that was posted here

(5/15/12) I’ve received a couple of e-mails from locals with connections regarding that “No Inversions” sign posted for the crew at Green Lantern. From how it has been explained, the “No Inversions” warning isn’t about the overall ride experience, but is apparently a term used to describe when a very unbalanced car returns to the station and is so out of whack, it cannot right itself. When this happens, the ride shuts down and maintenance is called out to manually adjust the car and restart the ride, a process which takes about 15 minutes or so. So while the warning is a good one that makes sense, perhaps a better term could be used.

^And we've addressed this already.

1. The only way to 'Avoid Inversions' is to avoid inversions on the ride so even though they mean inverting the car at the end, it's still the SAME THING!

2. The other parks with ZacSpins don't require maintenance to 'right' a car. They are staffed up to levels where it is easily done by the ops.

^And we've addressed this already.

1. The only way to 'Avoid Inversions' is to avoid inversions on the ride so even though they mean inverting the car at the end, it's still the SAME THING!

2. The other parks with ZacSpins don't require maintenance to 'right' a car. They are staffed up to levels where it is easily done by the ops.

My bad, I must have missed it.

Edit: So do we think that SFMM announces its 2013 attraction after LL opens?

^^Are we sure ride-ops are covered legally or are given permission to "right" a car while it is still technically cycling? Maybe only maintenance and mechanics are allowed to do such things.

Kinda like if you're a ride op at Viper, you don't want to be walking around the station, and touching the train and stuff when a train is moving into the station. You're supposed to stay put in your "yellow box" until the train comes to a complete stop.

It maybe be the same kind of restrictions for ride ops on this ride. Regulations that don't apply or are not enforced in Sweden where Insane is.

^Oh, that could totally be the case...which just better supports my theory of this ride should never have been brought to America!

They could properly train the ops to do this, have them take some tests and be 'certified to right a car' or whatever, but that will never happen because there is too much liability in this country, companies are paranoid and people are morons. Meanwhile in other countries with Zacspins....

^Oh, that could totally be the case...which just better supports my theory of this ride should never have been brought to America!

Funny, I don't recall this type of response to the ride back when Green Lantern was first announced.

Hindsight is 20/20

^^Neither do I! Still think it is fun and I always make a point to ride it while I'm at the park.

Guys give six flags a year. They are fully aware of where the park is now. Just give it a year.

In the mean time there is nothing constantly complaining is going to change. Seems like y'all have put out more than enough complaints. Try a positive outlook. I understand no one here seems to feel the park deserves positive feedback, but if you guys would just be patient, you'll be happy in a year!

I agree that the operations don't seem to make sense to us, but there is method to the madness I'm sure. We just need to trust them.

If its such an issue, go get a job there. They need more hard working employees. So go help them rather than just sit and complain at your computer screen. Get in contact with managers. It's not impossible to do. But stop sitting here and whining. Go make a difference! We all care enough, so put some energy in the right places and try to start suggesting changes! They need feedback and I know they pay attention to it.

^^Actually, I'm pretty sure we did post that here! I never understood how they would have this ride in the USA especially after riding it with a group of 50 enthusiasts back in 2009 and seeing the results!

If its such an issue, go get a job there. They need more hard working employees. So go help them rather than just sit and complain at your computer screen. Get in contact with managers. It's not impossible to do. But stop sitting here and whining. Go make a difference! We all care enough, so put some energy in the right places and try to start suggesting changes! They need feedback and I know they pay attention to it.

Ok sure, I'll do the 300 mile, 6 hour commute- each way, just to help them out....no thanks.

Hey for the record, I'm" PRO"-Six Flags. They have both my current top wooden (El Toro) top steel (SFOG Goliath) and overall top coaster line up (SFMM). In my opinion no other company makes me more excited to see what they're going to add next year. They hardly ever disappoint.

At the same time, we have to be honest to keep them honest. Green Lantern is a modest misfire in the larger scheme of things, but it does add to the overall feeling of a company once again taking short cuts and being cheap at the expense of their guests. And they need to be called out on it. I really don't want to see a redo of the Gary Story era!

^^Actually, I'm pretty sure we did post that here! I never understood how they would have this ride in the USA especially after riding it with a group of 50 enthusiasts back in 2009 and seeing the results!

I remember that. You called it! Too bad.

Ok here is my quick rant on Green Lantern. I literally was just waiting in the single rider line, when a train came in unbalanced. The operator was trying to rebalance the train by repeatingly jamming at the button that lowers the bar that balances the car. She wasn't timing it right so the car kept flipping. It irritated the living hell out of me watching her attempt and fail over and over. So instead of manually fixing the problem, maintenance was called, causing the ride to go down, with a one plus hour line. I don't know if it's just me but it was seriously frustrating watching this whole "ordeal".

*Edit- And two people just lit up a joint in line at Goliath. Magic Mountain has so much class.

They could properly train the ops to do this, have them take some tests and be 'certified to right a car' or whatever, but that will never happen because there is too much liability in this country, companies are paranoid and people are morons. Meanwhile in other countries with Zacspins....

When Log Jammer still existed, you had to push logs during downtimes. Ride ops still have to manually put boats in the storage pool at Jet Stream as well. So it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to have ride ops move cars on their own...

Ok here is my quick rant on Green Lantern. I literally was just waiting in the single rider line, when a train came in unbalanced. The operator was trying to rebalance the train by repeatingly jamming at the button that lowers the bar that balances the car. She wasn't timing it right so the car kept flipping. It irritated the living hell out of me watching her attempt and fail over and over. So instead of manually fixing the problem, maintenance was called, causing the ride to go down, with a one plus hour line. I don't know if it's just me but it was seriously frustrating watching this whole "ordeal".

*Edit- And two people just lit up a joint in line at Goliath. Magic Mountain has so much class.

I don't think thats the fault of SFMM, its just idiots who think they can do whatever they want, hopefully someone catches them and they get thrown out.... And to your original post, that could be why they don't really want it to spin, as was mentioned a few posts above yours

When Log Jammer still existed, you had to push logs during downtimes. Ride ops still have to manually put boats in the storage pool at Jet Stream as well. So it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to have ride ops move cars on their own...

Wouldn't this be more difficult though, as you have to manually right a car, without screwing any other part of the ride up? It would seem that putting the logs into storage just involved upper body strength?

The first time I rode X2, I was privy to the music and pyro. Since then, it has been turned off.

Anyone know why?

P.S. I realize it breaks down multiple times a day, but the added music/pyro makes a huge difference in the experience. It's a great ride, but it's SO much better with the added elements.

When I was there last year both - music and pyrotechnics - worked fine, so I guess I was lucky.

The only problems they had that day were with Revolution - but even if its old at no other park/carnival they had ever problems with Schwarzkopf coasters, even with those quite older...

Turning off the music and extinguishing the fire effects is the textbook definition of addition by subtraction. I'm very glad to hear about this. Onboard audio is as stupid of an idea as anyone could come up with- especially on X. Are there really people who are so bored by a roller coaster with spinning seats that fire and sound effects are needed?

]http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/103440/drug-free-treatment

Edited by Ed Farmer

Turning off the music and extinguishing the fire effects is the textbook definition of addition by subtraction. I'm very glad to hear about this. Onboard audio is as stupid of an idea as anyone could come up with.

How do I get that "Nina Kleppe Likes this" photo! I need that!

I went in Spring of last year and saw someone get arrested in the parking lot for drug possession. Sad to think that this is exactly the kind of stuff Jay Thomas hated to see. Oh SFMM...

I say, good riddance to the music! I prefer not to have loud rock songs blasting inches from my ears.

I enjoy all of the added elements, especially the audio. It really adds on to the whole psychological effect; makes it more intense and thrilling.

Onboard audio is as stupid of an idea as anyone could come up with- especially on X.

Just because X2 and Apocalypse have/had issues with onboard audio doesn't make it a bad idea-those two rides aren't designed for it.

Any number of Disney's and Universal's attractions stand to prove you wrong, and this is because the audio is used correctly, as a means to enhance the entire experience rather than just the lift hill and brake run. Indiana Jones and Revenge of the Mummy are good examples where the onboard audio is needed (in fact they are almost entirely reliant upon it) because their respective scores give the feeling of urgency, danger, and the need to escape from the perceived threats each ride's story has-Mara and Imhotep respectively. Thus, the onboard audio adds to the experience to what would have been otherwise an extremely elaborate carnival horror ride and indoor roller coaster, respectively.

Besides, give Six Flags some credit, they at least tried for a time to be a much better park. As far as stupid ideas go, onboard audio on X2 hardly qualifies, and there are far worse ideas out there, some of which probably are too dumbfounding to describe-like letting Aaron Seltzer and Jason Friedberg make a bunch of movies and call them comedies/spoofs.