TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ LMAO!!!! Try actually going to Europe and then come back and talk at me!

--Robb "So far, the only person who had really overreacted, is you." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

^^^We had the chance to watch a single rider (a cameraman) flip and roll repeatedly over the course of several rides. The revolutions were too fast to count. Green Lantern is capable of delivering a nutty ride (although under conditions the GP isn't likely to experience now). I wonder how much the lack of spin is a result of loading policies.

As I mentioned earlier, the ride ops were directing the two heaviest riders to the outboard seats. One time out of three they didn't do it. With two 200 lb+ guys on one side, we were definitely unbalanced - my side of the car was hanging low on the lift hill. We spun twice, nothing like Robb is describing, not more thrilling exactly but more satisfying.

Personally, I'll take a wait and see approach. The park may loosen up (or not) once they've run the ride a few weeks or months. Even under the current conditions, the ride is a unique and worthwhile experience. I rode I305 while the first drop was trimmed. While it wasn't the best it could be, it was still excellent. So is this. Robb pointed out just how much better GL can be. There's potential for Insanity.

Well they were balancing out the cars on media day when I rode it. Perhaps they are testing the waters a bit at first, which I think is smart given the things Robb said above. It will be interesting to see how it runs in a few months after all the kinks are out.

Either way, I loved it!

Even under the current conditions, the ride is a unique and worthwhile experience. I rode I305 while the first drop was trimmed. While it wasn't the best it could be, it was still excellent. So is this. Robb pointed out just how much better GL can be. There's potential for Insanity.

This is exactly correct. Anyone who would get offended by the comments I made either doesn't know me that well or is just waaaaaay too over-sensitive. And in that case, you need to immediately disconnect yourself from the Internet, or at least stop reading TPR. Because if that offends you, just wait until you get to one of our updates when we mention blood curdling semen!

The ride-ops should really just not care about balancing the riders (it's SFMM, lethargic apathetic workers is almost a given )

It would make the ride that much more extreme and fun to ride.

At least on media day, the ride was a slow loader, which is what we we were all afraid of. Part of that was the way they were seating people. Perhaps it was because it was *media* day, and they didn't want to push it. I'm interested in seeing how they load it after this weekend, because there should be a car ascending the lift as another one dives into the brakes. There is NO WAY that is going to happen if they are balancing riders.

And just to clarify, just because I may be nervous about riding a more extreme program, doesn't mean I won't. what good are *thrill* rides if they don't make you a bit nervous!

Well I'm DEFINITELY happy with my ride experience when I rode at the Media Day. I rode 5 times, 2 facing the park, and 3 facing the hills behind the park. I think my best ride is when it was completely imbalanced!

Me and my friend Daniel rode on the car with the camera from WireImage, and the WHOLE ride we were constantly flipping (Probably due to the fact that there was no one sitting behind us.) Intense .

I have the videos on the youtubes if you wanna check them out. Channel is doubleAA760 . GL:FF is an amazing addition to the park, I just hope they improve on their load-times. Thanks again to SFMM for putting on a breathtaking event!

[AA]

It honestly really was. There were only three people in our group that had that happen to, and one of them kept riding it was so good.

Listen, even Elissa... WHO HATES AND REFUSES TO RIDE SPINNING RIDES ranked Insane as one of her top coasters in the world.

My comment above wasn't to make Insane sound less appealing, it was to show that the ride really is INSANE. But I'll be honest, most Americans are wusses and even if they ran a Zac-Spin in the USA like they do in Europe, they'd probably have to tone it down anyway...

The comments in this thread just prove that IMO.

If it's Elissa-worthy, then I might give it a shot. But I'd like YOU next to me when I do, Robb...

^ LMAO!!!! Try actually going to Europe and then come back and talk at me!

--Robb "So far, the only person who had really overreacted, is you." Alvey

Well said. Go and experience a fairground coaster in Germany during Octoberfest if you don't belive him. We're pussies compared to the Europeans.

Europeans can bite me! Green Lantern is awesome and any euros who are disappointed cause they didn't get a nose bleed, pass out, or throw up, I will be happy to meet them at the exit and make that happen. USA! USA! USA!

Honestly screw insane, it's not here, I'm never gonna ride it, most of the GP will never ride it, I don't care how good it is. I mean, I don't wanna go over there with them funny talking people, if I wanna see funny talkin' white people I'll go down south. Seriously, everybody ride it, it's awesome, and if you want a nose bleed punch yourself in the face at the first drop.

The ride-ops should really just not care about balancing the riders (it's SFMM, lethargic apathetic workers is almost a given )

It would make the ride that much more extreme and fun to ride.

That'll happen soon enough...lol

Go and experience a fairground coaster in Germany during Octoberfest if you don't belive him. We're pussies compared to the Europeans.

Maybe you should speak for yourself. I've been to Octoberfest and Europe twice, and besides the fact that they're simply different places with different cultures and people, I'm not quite sure how you got that impression. In fact, I'd say the people there are nicer than people who live here!

Also, the ZacSpin I went on in Europe spun the exact same way Green Lantern is now. If you have ERT and can unbalance the cars sure the rides will be different, but as far as GP and the average person riding, they seem to be running identical. Magic Mountain has stated that they may loosen the cars to spin more as the ride breaks in, so it may be running different as time goes on!

I figured that I'd be "one and done" with Insane during ERT at Grona Lund in 2009 (I'm not into spinning rides, either). But I loved it, ended up riding four or five times, and had quite a mixture of experiences depending on the load (including one particularly crazy ride where we went up the lifthill looking straight down at the ground). I'm looking forward to checking out Green Lantern, too.

It just seemed, to me at least, that this ride was already being written off as "wussified" and that the "lack of spinning" was a result of some dumbing down of the ride for America (which was/is "predictable"). I'm just saying that it seems like an odd observation after just a few days (and posts indicating that they're in some sort of testing/tweeking phase) to start slinging arrows like that. But, I know, I'm the one overreacting.

Anyway, really impressed with the whole area and the new ride. As has been said, kudos to the park. Perhaps the new park GM is awful at guest relations, but maybe she is partly responsible for this coming together so nicely (or was all of this hammered out and done on paper prior to her taking the reigns)?

As far as the old Metro line, do we have any idea if it's still structurally sound (for those suggesting that it be put to other use than another monorail)?

Go and experience a fairground coaster in Germany during Octoberfest if you don't belive him. We're pussies compared to the Europeans.

Maybe you should speak for yourself. I've been to Octoberfest and Europe twice, and besides the fact that they're simply different places with different cultures and people, I'm not quite sure how you got that impression. In fact, I'd say the people there are nicer than people who live here!

Also, the ZacSpin I went on in Europe spun the exact same way Green Lantern is now. If you have ERT and can unbalance the cars sure the rides will be different, but as far as GP and the average person riding, they seem to be running identical. Magic Mountain has stated that they may loosen the cars to spin more as the ride breaks in, so it may be running different as time goes on!

My comparisons are based on this: European rides, for the most part, are run very differently- as in less trimming of trains in action, spinning rides run at full-speed as opposed to 'theme park mode' which is common here in the USA. Being a Schwarzkopf Junkie in the worst way, you can see what American 'It's too rough, it's too painful, I threw my back out, I hurt myself' has done to His first looping coaster, the Revolution. Heavily trimmed, excessive restraints, higher backrests and other modifications have tamed it down greatly compared to it's original format mostly due to the chance of lawsuits and other such nastiness that is commonplace here. Hell, CGA's bumper cars ride is being investigated after somebody sued due to the fact they were injured on it- simply as the ride didn't say that it would jar you around.

Now let's compare that to Germany.

By your name, I'm quite sure you're aware of the Octoberfest, and some of Anton's finest works having been there- look at OlympiaLooping, for example. It hasn't been modified, changed, altered in any way since it's opening two decades ago. It operates the way He intended it to. And most importantly: Nobody has come back injured.

Now compare THAT to His most imfamous looper, the Thriller/Texas Tornado/Zonga. When it arrived in Texas, it recieved higher-duty brakes for trimming. When it moved to California, it was HEAVILY modified to 'tame down' the G's in the ciruclar loops- as well as receiving new trains with some of the bulkiest restraints available. And even then, it was moved to Mexico after a rather short duration in California. Why? It was too intense. Now this is the same ride that operated as a fairground coaster for YEARS in Europe without modification.

I wasn't talking about the personalities between Europe and the USA. But when it comes to ride operation, people in the USA are way too timid- pussies, if you will, to let a park operate it's rides the way they should.

As far as the old Metro line, do we have any idea if it's still structurally sound (for those suggesting that it be put to other use than another monorail)?

The line hasn't been used in years, and to be honest, it's cheaper just to buy a new ride. If they were to modify it, it would cost tons of money to re-profile and inspect. Even if they just put in another monorail on the line, it could cost millions of dollars, because of how building codes have changed since it was built, and when it was last inspected. Remember, Magic Mt. still has plenty of room to add other rides versus, say, Disneyland, who would have to remove other attractions to add anything else without building rides on top of each other RCT2-style.

I wasn't talking about the personalities between Europe and the USA. But when it comes to ride operation, people in the USA are way too timid- pussies, if you will, to let a park operate it's rides the way they should.

Wow, way to candy coat an insult, ok so european people are so tough cause they can ride rollercoasters. Wow, that is awesome, congrats to all the super tough european coaster riders with your scarey abilities.

You are totally lying in order to justify a point. You know that. I know that. That's really lame. But whatever. If lying to make your penis feel stronger makes you think you're a better person, knock yourself out. But I know you're lying.

I honestly just need to stop reading this thread because the insanely retarded comments being made just frustrate me to no end.

I'm not even saying that Green Lantern is a bad ride. Never posted that at all. In fact, I said even in it's current state, it's a great ride.

But if you dont want to believe me that a Zac-Spin that actually spins, or are going to post lies in order to try to prove us wrong, go for it. Just don't get mad at me when I call you stupid.

Edited by robbalvey

The line hasn't been used in years, and to be honest, it's cheaper just to buy a new ride. If they were to modify it, it would cost tons of money to re-profile and inspect. Even if they just put in another monorail on the line, it could cost millions of dollars, because of how building codes have changed since it was built, and when it was last inspected. Remember, Magic Mt. still has plenty of room to add other rides versus, say, Disneyland, who would have to remove other attractions to add anything else without building rides on top of each other RCT2-style.

Yah, I guess no matter HOW you re-purposed the layout of the monorail it wouldn't probably be worth it. It is interesting how they've left the old stations in place they way they have -- I've always thought that must be an interesting thing to notice if you've only frequented the part post-Metro.

I know the topic has been beaten to death, but I find it unfortunate that the industry is at a point where the installation of transportation-type rides (like monorails or sky rides or trains) are becoming more and more rare. I suppose the best shot at seeing any new installation(s) would be in a new park.

Great news at the Mountain, cannot wait to get back out there!!! Things are looking awesome.

I'm actually thrilled to finally see one of these Zac Spins finally come to the U.S. after seeing the pics of Insane from TPR''s trip reports. Too bad it's all the way on the West Coast for me to ride it though I can see a few of these added to parks in the future (maybe SFGAm in Splashwater Falls spot?)

They did a nice job in the conversion to DC Universe. It looks like a living comic book with all the bright colors.

Wow, way to candy coat an insult, ok so european people are so tough cause they can ride rollercoasters. Wow, that is awesome, congrats to all the super tough european coaster riders with your scarey abilities.

It's not an insult, it's just a fact. There have been far more examples of rides that have been "tamed" for the US audience, or require additional restraints to stop Americans from doing something "stupid."

Post-opening trims on rides, re-profiles, and tamer versions of rides in Europe and Asian parks are few and far between, but in America, it's far more commonplace.

Not being insulting, just honest.

--Robb

I think a point that people aren't realizing here is that the cars haven't broken in yet. Keep in mind, this ride JUST OPENED. Give it some time, it's not like TPR rode Insane on opening day! I'm sure by the time WCB 2012 rolls around, it will be able to spin Insane-like and everyone will be happy. At the same time, maybe SFMM wanted to make it slightly less "Insane". If they did, it was probably for the fear that people would bitch about how it was too crazy and insane. Either ways, it's still a Zac Spin.

Edited by ABW