DC Area Trip Planning Help!!

Trying To Pick A Park! HELP!!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!

Which park to visit?

Kings Dominion
39%
Six Flags Great Adventure
7%
Knoebels
11%
Hersheypark
39%
Other? (Explain below)
4%

Total votes : 28

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Re: DC Area Trip Planning Help!!

Postby TBpony414 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:48 pm

This is a no brainer - Hersheypark! Especially if you haven't been in a long time. Sundays are usually not anywhere near as bad as Saturdays, plus their skip-the-line system does exist and while it's not perfect, it would certainly more than do the job for you. It's not terribly expensive, either. HP is a beautiful park with an outstanding collection of rides.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby bill_s » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:26 pm

I voted Hershey but really a tie to KD ... Hershey should be OK then but it is a more crowded park on average than KD. You have to drive by there to get to Knoebels. As to a suggestion of not doing theme park one day, if so that should be Saturday because it's Saturday. As to driving to GrAdv -- not by day 3... The one real traffic warning is if you go KD on Sunday, don't expect to bail early because northbound I-95 on Sunday afternoons has become really bad. Most of the rest you probably expect.

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby VACoasterdude » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:58 am

Traffic to BGW on Friday will not be too bad as long as you leave early in the morning. Not sure where you are staying in DC, but as long as you hit I-95 South in Virginia before 10:00am you should be fine.

Do you have to stay with your partner Friday night? I would get a cheap hotel near Kings Dominion Friday night and be there when the park opens Saturday morning. There are coupons and discounts out there for $36 admission. There was a $33 Groupon, but I think that ended. Go to Twisted Timbers first, then Volcano, than I-305. You could be done and on the road by 1:00pm, meet your partner and hit SFA (if you have to) by 3:00pm. Traffic either direction on I-95 Saturday will suck big time. If you have to be in DC Friday night, I would not return to KD on Sunday!

Honestly, I would skip SFA on Saturday and just relax after doing the museums. Nothing is new at SFA, so unless you really have to go, I would skip it.

If you haven't been to HP in a while, I would do that on Sunday. HP will be fairly crowded on Sunday, but the lines should be manageable. Kneobels is great, but it will be crowded opening weekend, especially with the BOGO deal. On a normal weekend, it is possible to do Knoebels in the morning and then hit HP in the late afternoon, but both parks may be too crowded for that to be feasible that weekend.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:13 pm

I voted for KD on the basis of Twisted Timbers alone. Only thing is, I know you travel a lot, so if you know you'd get there fairly soon regardless, we might be back to square one among those choices. KD was fine for me in 2012, and they seem to have improved noticeably since then--I know major chain parks can be hit or miss, and there's always potential for a bad day, but I'm semi-confident Kings Dominion is one of the better parks at this time.
113 wood+501 steel=614|Boulder Dash|Coaster|X2|Maverick|Phoenix|Twisted Colossus|Storm Chaser|iRat|Kawasemi|NTag

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!