Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Re: Kennywood Discussion Thread

Postby Geauga Dog » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:05 pm

Or the wheel is the web being spun.

The first thing that came to mind was Spin Spider at TusenFryd.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=72&linkid=6180

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:39 pm

^ That's actually the exact same model as the one Kennywood is getting.

Personally, I think the name and the logo are "fine" - Riverside Park ran a coaster called "Black Widow" for 22 years. Lagoon has the "Spider", Parque de Atracctions Madrid has "Tarantula", heck there is a classic flat ride found in loads of parks that is referred to as the "Spider."

I really don't think it's that big of a deal. If you really don't like it, just refer to it as the "Drunk Lesbian Bullwhip." There ya go! ;)

--Robb
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:40 pm.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby Across_the_Universe » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:42 pm

Well,I feel this is a great replacement for Pitt Fall. Something just as thrilling, if not more so. Flying out over the valley while spinning will be bound to shake me up a bit.
I've actually never been on a Frisbee or any other similar ride, but I'm excited to try one out; looks like 2012 will be the year to!

And I agree with Robb. There are all kinds of rides named after things people fear; you don't see people complaining about them. (Yet anyway)
"Let's make a list of who we need and we'll throw it away
'Cause we don't need anyone, no we don't need anyone"
The Format-'The First Single'

Coaster Credits: 40

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby eddie200330 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:04 pm

So, exactly how is this larger ride going to incorporate the seemingly small footprint of land that housed the Pittfall? Are they going to adjust the walkway around the chute ride so as not to take peoples heads off??
Life is a lemon and I want my money back????

He who farts in church sits in own pew.............

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:17 am

^ I don't think it will much of a problem. In looking at the park map, it appears that they have room between Pitfall and Phantom's Revenge. They may have to alter the landscaping a bit, but there should be plenty of room.

I personally hope that it swings out towards the river & over Phantom...it will definitely be a lot higher off the ground then on a flat piece of land!

I love the addition...even thought I loved Pittfall, this is a great replacement for Kennywood.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby PennStater » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:39 am

It will swing toward Phantom's Revenge's station one way, and toward the restrooms the other way. No such luck on out over the hillside / Phantom's track, unfortunately. One of the stakes for Black Widow is out in the middle of the current midway, so there will definitely be some changes happening in that area to accommodate the ride. Time will tell exactly what will happen, I guess. Hopefully we'll (Kennywood Connection) be able to follow construction progress once it starts!
~ Lifetime Kennywood, Sandcastle, & Idlewild season pass holder! ~
Co-Owner of Kennywood Connection
Kennywood Rides team member since 2009 (September - December)

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby Myself » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:42 am

To be specific, this is how Black Widow will be placed based on where the stakes (which presumably mark footer locations) can be found:
BlackWidowplacement.png
Viewed 954 times

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:57 am

According to a 2001 Gallup poll, the fear of heights is more widespread in America than the fear of spiders. And the fear of snakes tops the list, just about doubling the percentage of those afraid of spiders. People still visit all these parks with Vipers and Cobras and what have you. So really, this is a moot point.

Sad to see the ride not swing out over the valley, but I kind of forgot that there was Phantom track right there! Should still be thrilling regardless - for some reason, Maxair at Cedar Point is one of the few rides that still gets me nervous every time!
Last edited by coasterfreak101 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:18 am.
Last Ride: El Toro (SFGAdv)
Next Ride: Skyrush (HP)

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby RoCo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:11 am

As a recent convert to these ginormous spinny things (MaXair brought me to the dark side), I'm really jazzed that this is what's replacing Pitt Fall. And I'm no fan of big, nasty spiders (or as Steven King once called them, "hairy basketballs with legs"), but I kind of love the new name and logo.
"The Internet? Is that thing still around?"

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby XYZ » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Though, the problem with Black Widow is the skyline isn't going to be as good as before since Black Widow is much shorter than Pit Fall.

Here are 2 pictures with Pit Fall and with Black Widow, this picture was found in the TPR Park Index under the Phantom's Revenge category in Kennywood.

BW1.png
Viewed 499 times

BW2.png
Viewed 499 times
1: Lightning Run, 2: El Toro, 3: Maverick, 4: Xcelerator, 5: Voyage, 6: TTD, 7: Gold Striker, 8: El Loco (Vegas), 9: Millennium Force, 10: Kingda Ka
Coaster Credits: 110 (89 steel, 21 wood); Last Coaster Credit: Raptor (CP) [8/22/14]; Last Park Credit: Waldameer [8/21/14]
What a season pass??

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!