Help with Canadian coaster trip.

Need some input on an upcoming trip
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Help with Canadian coaster trip.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:37 pm

Marineland is huge in terms of acreage but low in terms of the number of attractions. When I went back in 2010, I did everything I cared to do in like 2 hours.

I've only been to La Ronde once (2016). They do accept the dining plan, but it's a bit weird. Instead of going straight to the food stand, you need to show your dining pass/membership to Guest Relations to get food vouchers. You can then use those vouchers at food stands. It's also important to note that La Ronde has two entrances. If you arrive later in the day, you may want to try the back entrance. I didn't know it existed during my visit and I had to wait in a brutal 2 hour line from hell to enter the park (no seriously it was two hours, See here).

If you drive between Ontario and Montreal, I think your route may take you past Wild Water & Wheels. The park has the last operating Auto Sled, which is a really funky roller coaster.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Knoebels & Dutch Wonderland

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby john10693 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:43 pm

I’ve done a trip that worked well that is similar.
Take the Bluewater bridge and the 402-401 route and go to Wonderland first. Walk around Wonderland a bit that evening to get a feel. Saturday, fast pass it if you can and enjoy the day (fast pass there on Saturday’s in my experiences are more like kings Island on a Friday for waits and nothing like Cedar Point ever.) Sunday fast pass lines are even better and there is a limited early entry. If you decide to go to Montreal, take the 401 all day there and skip La Ronde to instead just enjoy the city itself. It’ a wonderful city, don’t waste it on the park, you won’t regret that decision. Then head back to the states 0n 91 to Great Escape. Then if you need to do Seabreeze it will be only an hour out of your day for travel and you can do everything in less than two hours max if you want. Darien Lake is a 1:10 minute drive from there. You can easily spend the day at Darien Lake with enough to do and unless Marineland and Niagra Falls is on your bucket list, just screw it and just go to Waldameer for ravine flyer II and a better park IMO. This route only costs 2 border crossings (Unless you go to Marineland and need to see Niagra Falls). From Waldameer Cedar point is about 2 ½ hours.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby john10693 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:02 pm

Oh and there is good lodging around the Metropolitan Center near Wonderland, I was able to find rooms around your price, Montreal (downtown) also. New York and PA even cheaper.

Postby thrillrider » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:25 pm

As far as Niagra falls goes, we did that last summer. However, we only did the American side. I guess it would be interesting to get a view of the falls from the Canadian side.

I'm not sensing a lot of love for La Ronde. :?r
As much as I want the credits, I'm wondering if it's worth the 5 1/2 hour drive east from Canada's Wonderland. the only reason I have great escape on the list is because it's basically on the way back from La Ronde. we actually hit great escape last summer as well, so I'm not hard pressed to get back there soon.

Maybe a visit to Knobles would be a better option than La ronde. I still need to get my black diamond,impulse, and bobsled credits.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby bert425 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:27 pm

the Canadian side view of the falls (cascading over the American side) is THE view of the falls.

and there's a whole tourist area, with mini-golf, wax museums, go karts, and restaurants there.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:29 pm

I'd pick Knoebels over La Ronde 8 days a week.

Postby coasterbill » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:37 pm

Knoebels is probably my favorite park ever and La Ronde is without question my least favorite so this isn’t an overly tough call for me either. :lol:

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:27 pm

I don't hate La Ronde as much as most, but it's definitely one of the weaker Six Flags parks. The highlight is undoubtedly Goliath, which I think is the better B&M hypers. If you love B&M hypers and copious amounts of floater air, it's worth a visit.

However, I too would pick Knoebels over La Ronde without any hesitation.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Intamin_coyote » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:57 pm

Ok sooooo...

https://www.laronde.com/sites/default/files/monstre-ng4k9303.jpg

I am gonna go out on a limb here and infer that based off what is attached to the side of these trains....

That must be one violent ride. Really I've seldom seen padding that extensive. You can even see some people slamming into the side of them in this pic.

Is Monstre particularly rough? Or would violent be a better description?

(And apparently this thing use to run Morgan trains. Yikes. :| )

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:09 pm

^ Monstre wasn't brutally rough from what I remember, but it really didn't do much. After the two B&Ms, the park's next nest coaster is that weird indoor Intamin coaster.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!