Photo TR: Back to West Coast Bash--and More!

Update (p. 6): SeaWorld San Diego!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: Photo TR: Back to West Coast Bash--and More!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:48 pm

^^ ERT has made me impatient for lines that are over 15 minutes long!

;)

Great TR on your SFMM visit, Chuck. I must get back there, some year.
Looking forward to the Knotts Report.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:02 am

The highlight of this day was definitely night ERT on Twisted Colossus. One of the more unique and awesome experiences I've ever had riding coasters!

Looking forward to the rest, Chuck!

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby rctneil » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:50 am

Excellent report and an excellent day! It was so much fun to meet up with friends i've met over the last few years and hang out riding some awesome coasters on this day.
TRIPS:
West Coast Tour 2009 - || - Middle America 2010 - || - IntimidaTOUR 2010 - || - Best of China 2012
Taiwan 2013 - || - Japan 2013 - || Scandinavia 2014
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/5a7b5ea10f265e536d315d1bd5a624a7.jpg[/img][/url]

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:58 pm

I'm glad people are enjoying this report so far--'cause we got a ways to go yet.

The Cedar Fair Day: Checking Out Ghostrider and a Crab the Size of a Cow at Knott's Berry Farm

Knott's and TPR always pull out the stop for West Coast Bash, and this year's version held true to form: early morning tours of two coasters; morning ERT on Xcelerator, Silver Bullet, Voyage to the Iron Reef, and other rides; a great fried-chicken lunch, complete with boysenberry pie, goofy gunslingers, and a wild game of TPR Quest; another hilarious Q&A session hosted by Jeff Tucker, the park's entertainment director, in the Charles Schultz Theater; a behind-the-scenes preview of Knott's Scary Farm's Voodoo maze; and nighttime ERT on the Timber Mountain Log Ride (still the best ride at the park), Coast Rider, and other attractions.

So, what really stood out?

Voyage to the Iron Reef--This is the park's new dark ride, which is in the same building as the old Knott's Beary Tales and Kingdom of the Dinosaurs rides from long ago. This ride has garnered a lot of criticism online, especially from southern California locals, but I can't understand why. It's a very entertaining shooting dark ride with a unique premise--Knott's has been attacked by an undersea creature's mechanical army, and your job is to take them out. Granted, much of the ride consists of digital 3D projections, but it's some of the best 3D effects I've ever seen at any park, and the action is really well paced. Besides, what other ride features an encounter with "a crab the the size of a cow"? Well done! Cedar Fair has announced plans to introduce similar rides at other parks, and I hope Kings Dominion gets something as good as Iron Reef.

Calico Mine Train ("version 2.0"): I last rode Knott's classic mine train back in 2013, just before it was shutdown for some much-needed TLC. They spruced the whole ride up beautifully, and the new animatronics enhance the ride's classic scenes--particularly the big finale. It's good to see Knott's and Cedar Fair recognizing the need for and quality of one of the park's original attractions and giving it such a nice upgrade.

It's also good to see Ghostrider getting a long overdue, extensive overhaul. I never had the chance to ride this coaster when it was in its prime and everyone loved it--only years later, after it beat and shook itself half to death and became rough and painful. We had a behind-the-scenes look at Ghostrider that morning and, of course, there were many questions, such as "Are you getting new trains?" and "Is this a total rebuild?" The stock answer: "You'll know in November." ;) I'm looking forward to hearing more about it.

We had an interesting tour of Sierra Sidewinder's maintenance barn, too, which uses an an elevator-lift section under the station due to a lack of space for a transfer track and a separate barn. Voodoo is the most elaborate looking "haunt" maze I've seen outside of Universal Studios; it even includes a section filled with fog and water to simulate a swamp.

And, yes, Montezooma's Revenge still packs a punch.

Come with us into Knott's.
001.jpg
Bright and early at Knott's on Sunday morning. At least it was just a short walk from our hotel, rather than an hour-long drive to Valencia.
002.jpg
Behind the scenes at the TPR check-in table as the masses arrive.
003.jpg
Erik Johnson shows off the nice t shirt Knott's provided for this year's event.
004.jpg
Good old Charles Schultz--first time I ever noticed this little plaque.
005.jpg
OK, who's ready for a little "geeking out"?
006.jpg
I think Eric is still recovering from the drive on Saturday night.
007.jpg
Wheels! Wheels beyond any coaster enthusiast's wildest dreams of wheels! If people do dream of coaster wheels . . . sad, really.
008.jpg
They couldn't demonstrate the elevator lift with anyone in the barn, because sometimes one of the lifters jams--and that would be bad. Still, it's an interesting solution to a small-space problem.
009.jpg
Here's one of the coaster's restraint mechanisms. It's on the left. That's a technician in the right, not a mechanism. Just thought I'd clarify that.
010.jpg
Another look at the lift.
011.jpg
How many of you have stood at the chain link fences surrounding roller coasters, yearning to climb over then. I hope you haven't actually acted on this urge, as that would be foolish and wrong.
012.jpg
In the belly of the beast.
013.jpg
NERDS . . . wait a minute. I'm in here, too. Never mind.
014.jpg
As you can see, the dismantling has, indeed, begun.
015.jpg
Looking up through the structure. Nothing fell on me, which is good.
016.jpg
Even Ghostrider itself is anxious to be worked on.
017.jpg
This has always been an impressive looking ride; let's hope it can be a good ride once again.
018.jpg
Let's leave Jeff Johnson to ask the questions for which the answer is "you'll know in November."
019.jpg
Yes, "Chicken Togo"--the lunch that shakes you to death, rattles your brains, and leaves you with a headache. (My thanks to Eric Wilson for pointing this sign out.)
020.jpg
"Hello, sailor!"
021.jpg
OK, that's enough touring--time for some riding.
022.jpg
Bob is ready to go!
023.jpg
I'm not a huge fan of Silver Bullet, but it was running very well that morning.
024.jpg
Hey, let's ride Wind . . . er . . . Cart Seeker?
025.jpg
Jaguar has the most elaborate queue I've ever seen for an oversized "kiddie" coaster.
026.jpg
Cue the Indiana Jones music!
028.jpg
"Here, Dr. Jones, you see the sorry fate of those who failed to keep their hands inside of the ride at all times!"
029.jpg
Xcelerator is still one of the best rides in California--especially at night.
029a.jpg
"As God is my witness, Garbels will fit on Xcelerator!"
030.jpg
Here was the biggest surprise at Knott's.
031.jpg
"I saw a crab the size of a cow! A cow, I tell you! Well, maybe the size of a St. Bernard, but that's still one big freakin' crab, I tell you what!" More to come.
Last edited by cfc on Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:18 am.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:38 pm

More photos from WCB at KBF! Abbreviations rule!
032.jpg
A classic made better. This ride used to help folks to kill time while waiting for a chicken dinner. (I guess it can still fill that role.)
033.jpg
Hot, boiling, blurry mud--right in my face!
034.jpg
Look! A mermaid! Perhaps we'll see a crab the size of a cow, too!
035.jpg
If they'd actually had caverns like this at the real Calico Ghost Town, they would've found a real gold mine--tourist dollars!
035a.jpg
It's good to see some real men working so hard in their Glory Hole.
036.jpg
Nice view of Calico Square from what they used to call this "rickety, wobbly old trestle."
037.jpg
"Ya know, I'm still waiting for that trestle to collapse so that we can dine on some nice carrion."
"Yeah--maybe we should just kill something on our own."
038.jpg
In case you hadn't heard, they're holding something called "Scary Farm." Consider yourselves informed.
039.jpg
As you can tell by the presence of the BIG DOG himself, it's group-photo time.
040.jpg
"Quick! Dogpile on the . . . dog?"
041.jpg
A Canadian vampire! In the daylight!
042.jpg
"OK, guys, we're taking an authentic daguerreotype photo this year. We'll need you to stand absolutely still in the hot blazing sun for another, oh, 15 minutes or so. Thanks!"
043.jpg
"OK, does anyone else want to know if we're a'gettin' new trains fer Ghostrider? Anyone at all? Good! You'll know in November!"
044.jpg
Garbels limbers up for TPR Quest. I'm impressed that he can stretch this much.
045.jpg
And the bedlam begins!
046.jpg
Yeah, this will end well.
047.jpg
"If I give you my baby, will you give me a hunk of Intamin cable? Please, I'd even accept a Vekoma wheel! Take my baby, damn you!"
048.jpg
No one choked to death during the "boysenberry-pie-eating-contest" portion of TPR Quest, although some in the audience may have puked.
049.jpg
Are you sure you weren't shot? You didn't ask about the Ghostrider trains, did you?
050.jpg
"Create the ultimate coaster nerd" was another part of TPR Quest. I forget who won this segment, but I remember it was a tough choice.
051.jpg
"So, just to save some time here, panel, what is your answer regarding the final outcome of Ghostrider refurbishment project?"
"YOU'LL KNOW IN NOVEMBER!."
"Thank you. Now I'd like to show you A CRAB THE SIZE OF A COW!"
Kidding aside, the Q&A session was great.
052.jpg
"Howdy, pardner. Y'all might be wondering how I got here. Well, it's a very interesting story. You see, it all started when . . ."
053.jpg
". . . oh. You have a tour now? OK. I understand. I just get so lonely . . ."
054.jpg
Unless I miss my guess, Watson, someone has been performing arcane voodoo rituals here!
055.jpg
"You're in my chair."
056.jpg
"Er, sorry sir."
057.jpg
"He's not kiddin'! I was the last guy who sat in his chair!"
059.jpg
Wow! On a clear day, you can see Philadelphia from the Sky Tower!
060.jpg
Night falls on Knott's--almost time for more ERT!
061.jpg
Unfortunately, we missed out on the Flyers--but don't they look pretty?
061a.jpg
I remember when the old Parachute Sky Jump was part of this tower, too.
062.jpg
ERT + New Credit = WIN!
063.jpg
Finish our night on Xcelerator? Well, why not, indeed! That's all for now--Disney is next. My thanks to Robb, Elissa, and Knott's for such a great day!

Postby Philrad71 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:22 pm

Glad to see the Ghostrider revamp as this park sorely needs a big thrill attraction to compliment Xcelerator.

Not that MR and Sierra Sidewinder aren't cool coasters in their own right, the park needed another good thrill coaster and I am positive that the revamped Ghostrider will deliver. Given the park doesn't appear to have tons of space, this is the perfect choice for them in terms of a "new coaster".

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:37 pm

I would have loved to stay for night time ERT but I had a 5 hour drive home and work the next day. :(

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:10 pm

^I rode Xcelerator twice for you, Bob. ;)

Postby ernierocker » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:37 pm

Yes, I must of been sleep standing after that late night drive back from SFMM. :lmao:

Had a lot of fun this day and it was great being a short walk away from a bed when it was over!

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby mattnz » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:26 am

Great stuff Chuck! I really enjoyed my visit to Knott's back in 2013. Great to see another ride refurb with Calico and the addition of an interactive dark ride to round out the park's collection, which I think is sometimes a little underrated. The new GhostRider will hopefully put the park firmly back on the map.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!