Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

P. 282: HHN Photo Trip Report!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Postby edgeboy » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:21 pm

Jew wrote:You can't just "wait long enough" in a theme park and magically get to stick around.

I almost don't know why not. Again, I'm not actually suggesting anyone actually try it--I've already bought and paid for my frequent fear pass. But that said, every time I've gone in with early entry, I feel like I'm seeing a ton of regular park guests all the way up to 6:30 and beyond, and I don't really see anyone stopping them or pushing them out. Granted, they clear out the areas around the scare zones. They hang out at the tables around the plaza (just outside the scare zones), the stores, or are going up/down the escalators. I've also seen people just hanging around the bathrooms outside the Animal Actors stage, and, well, just about any seating area.

It's entirely possible the park is being diligent about getting them out, but I've really yet to witness it. That's why I'm asking, to see if anyone else has witnessed it. To me, it seems like a regular park guest could find themselves at HHN without much difficulty. And if that's the case, it seems like something management would need to address.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:52 pm

Just because it seems like something can happen doesn't mean it actually does happen.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby DBJ » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:13 am

This year I was dissapointed with the event. I attended on the 2nd night opening weekend. Used the early entry, which works ok. Although we apparently diid not show up early enough, still waited 1. 3 hours to entrr the Walking Dead, an apt metaphor. Having seen the previous versions of this maze, very little to recommend about this one. Yes it is long, but sparsely decorated with not enough actors to fill the space. One section was just simply a long dark hallway with nothing in it.

Entered Transformed. Ride ops at entrance did not bother to tell anyone it was broken down. That is horrible customer service. So we reach the loading platform, wait about 15 to get on, not bad, but it breaks down mid ride. They have a code word the give you to come back and use gate A.

Halloween I enjoyed, a few good scenes. This is the end, a failure. Knotts has been doing 3d mazes forever now. Universal can't figure it out.

The only good surprise was Crimson Peak the maze, at least it was visually interesting. Avp is still bland, which is too bad, because the costumes are amazing.

The Purge is far and away the cheapest theme I can think of for the Terror Tram. And to add another layer of bad operations, they shut off fast and the furious! Our dissapointing garbage tram drove right by the entrance. And of course, they cheap out by closing Shrek, and shutting down the despicable me funland.

This was my last year attending, just too many bad ops and bad customer service.

Postby Jew » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:15 am

And of course, they cheap out by closing Shrek, and shutting down the despicable me funland.

I suppose you get mad that Knott's closes Camp Snoopy for Haunt?

Shrek has never been open for HHN (it's queue always housed a maze until Potter). Super Silly Fun Land wasn't open last year either, because, let's be real...It's a children's area.

And to add another layer of bad operations, they shut off fast and the furious! Our dissapointing garbage tram drove right by the entrance.

The Terror Tram has never included any of the normal Studio Tour attractions....
Last edited by Jew on Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:19 am.

Postby RandallDuell » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:35 pm

Now I think jew might know what it feels like when he stops in the Magic Mountain thread to complain about everything. lol

Postby Jew » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:59 pm

Except it is warranted in the SFMM thread. ;)

Notice I didn't respond to the high wait times, Transformers, or lame Terror Tram..because those can't be refuted.

Postby edgeboy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:53 pm

Jew wrote:
The Terror Tram has never included any of the normal Studio Tour attractions....

Actually, they did include Fast & Furious for one weekend--I think the second weekend. I even got an email from Universal promoting it. However, apparently, it didn't work out (I heard trams were very backed up), so they stopped.

And in past years, the Terror Tram did include a stop through the Mummy tunnel.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:11 pm

So I've been wanting to post a mini-TR from last week and just haven't had time yet to post it.

First timer's experience at Horror Nights!!!

So basically the only haunts I'd ever done was CGA, SFDK and SFMM. I finally decided this year that I was ready to do Knott's, and the literal night before we left for SoCal, my friend and I were like, "Hey, wanna go to Horror Nights tomorrow?"

We drove down together and made it just in time for early entry. Another friend I met at West Coast Bash (and haunt veteran) was meeting us later and could get us to skip some of the lines. We found out Insidious and Walking Dead were open for early entry but had no idea where to go, so we followed the crowd and ended up getting in line for Insidious, not realizing how quickly the line would move. Before we knew it, we were walking through our first-ever Horror Nights maze!

Insidious was absolutely the most terrifying thing I had ever done, there were just so many scare actors coming out from seemingly nowhere and it was unlike any haunt either of us had ever done. We left the maze and looked at each other and were just like, "WTF just happened??"

But we weren't done yet, so we did Walking Dead. Then accidentally got in the tram line and found ourselves at Crimson Peak, then AVP, then back up for the Terror Tram (walk-on) just after the park opened. Insidious was by far the scariest but all of them were terrifying and amazingly well done. I had never screamed so much in my life!

We ended up doing all of the haunts twice except for This is the End and Halloween (ran out of time for a 2nd trip in Halloween) and we did all of the major rides once as well and saw Jabbawockeez. Between it being a Thursday night earlier in the month and my friend getting skip the line passes, we didn't have to wait very long for anything!

Our favorites in order from best to worst: Insidious, Crimson Peak, Halloween, AvP, Walking Dead, Terror Tram, This is the End.

I had watched a lot of the TPR videos of these mazes so kind of knew some of the scares, but it was still just so ridiculously insane to be there in person! We left as instant Horror Nights fans and now I want to visit every year!

Here are some pictures we took
12112410_10206343781087751_1015390394456169675_n.jpg
UNIVERSAL!! It had been a while for both of us!
12108790_10206343781207754_4924338073260031861_n.jpg
OMG I can't believe we went to Horror Nights!!
12079311_10206343726566388_6462913173395373713_n.jpg
About to be terrified by Insidious!
12107290_10206343814128577_6239196521051650195_n.jpg
Terror Tram! Or should I say, effort walk?? Not that much terror and not that much tram!
12115770_10206347687705414_7383458538595340853_n.jpg
In line for something and very excited to be at Horror Nights!
12122541_10203551084297431_1829650371087379540_n.jpg
Terror Tram selfie!
IMG_2177.jpg
OMG is someone getting murdered?!?
10407552_10203551083697416_4438223577765395721_n.jpg
Why are you all just standing there while I'm getting murdered?
IMG_2178.jpg
This reminded me of Lost and I loved it!
IMG_2182.jpg
Something very eerie about strung up bodies...
IMG_2188.jpg
Jabbawockeez!
IMG_2193.jpg
Oooh pretty!
12109169_10206344273020049_2564258928130561723_n.jpg
Jabbawockeez! Good show because we got to do the Nae-Nae with them! ;)
12072693_10203551085097451_2040449257819210502_n.jpg
This is the End! Not that great of a maze in our opinion...
IMG_2199.jpg
I immediately recognized what movie this was from and I sooo wish I could have done this maze!
12108966_10206347689065448_3771010121810764683_n.jpg
I'm way too happy for this photo
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Postby Jew » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:03 pm

edgeboy wrote:
Jew wrote:

Actually, they did include Fast & Furious for one weekend--I think the second weekend. I even got an email from Universal promoting it. However, apparently, it didn't work out (I heard trams were very backed up), so they stopped.

And in past years, the Terror Tram did include a stop through the Mummy tunnel.

I should clarify that I meant to say that the Terror Tram has never advertised that tour attractions were included aside from the test you mentioned. It wasn't ever mentioned as being open the week he visited (along with the other attractions he complained about), so it's a flawed argument IMO.

Nobody cares about the Mummy tunnel, so I didn't count that... :lol:

In any case...

here's my reviews:

Overall, it feels like the quality of the scenic keeps getting better, but the scares keep getting more generic with few exceptions. The other thing that stands out about HHN is that the mazes don't really have grand finales (except for AVP & Halloween).

-Hallowen: my personal favorite. Great homage to the movies with a nice ending. The scene with Dr. Loomis was pretty cool.

-Walking Dead: Really Long. I don't watch Walking Dead, so I don't understand the story. However, I will say that the maze was full of monsters.

-This is the End: I thought the 3D was done well, but the maze really just couldn't decide what it wanted to be. Funny or scary? If you've seen the movie, it makes a lot more sense and you really laugh at the references. The Demon costume looks cool, but the scare is repetitive. It still turned out a lot better than I thought, but lacks the "wow" factor because it's a mix of funny and scary instead of going all in on either theme. The Heaven scene was great.

-Insidious: Again, I haven't seen the movie so I don't know the story. But the use of scrims in this maze is awesome. Couple of great scares too. Probably the most innovative maze HHN has done so far in terms of FX.

-Crimson Peak: the best looking maze HHN has done. Very beautiful gothic sets. Very basic scares though.

-AVP: Stunning costumes and puppets, but a 100% repeat of last year.

-Terror Tram: Needs a 100% overhaul. It's the same thing every single year. I really hope they can find a new route to take in the future. I wish they'd also include something for the trip back like they did the first year with the director putting a body in a wood chipper.
Last edited by Jew on Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:04 pm.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby laqueefa » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:36 am

Spot on review, Jew.
Tigga, please!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!