TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Interesting Fact

This is an interesting fact about that Vekoma Boomerang clone found at just about every park in the US. I consulted RCDB, and found this out:

A standard Vekoma Boomerang pulls 5.2Gs, while an Invertigo pulls 5 exactly, and a Deja Vu pulls 4.5. Cool, huh?

Note though, that I am unsure as to which row this value was recorded in. My best guess is that it hits 5.2Gs in either the front row during the Cobra Roll going forwards, or in the back row during the Vertical Loop going backwards. I've ridden a Boomerang in both of these locations, but I never would've taken any notice of this if it hadn't been for RCDB.

I guess I'm pretty insensitve to positive Gs - with the exception of powered launches and the Pretzel Loop on SUF, I don't find positive Gs as noticeable as negative Gs (aka airtime).

But it's still a cool fact!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but I never would've taken any notice of this if it hadn't been for RCDB.

Same here, but the srtange this is, I heard on a program about coasters that if it goes over 5g's your eyes will bulge and you#ll get nose bleeds, I'm not lieing, it was serious program, more about g-froces really than roller coasters.

-Martyn

I heard on a program about coasters that if it goes over 5g's your eyes will bulge and you#ll get nose bleeds, I'm not lieing, it was serious program, more about g-froces really than roller coasters.

-Martyn

You sure it wasn't 8g's?

I think 8g's is the limit without a pressure suit thing.

The area between the loop and the cobra roll going backwards is especially powerful in the positives category on standard Vekoma Boomerangs.

Haven't been on an Invertigo (next summer).

I would say that the are between the second spike and the loop going backwards is the biggie on the Deja Vu model, but that's more of a weird "catch" than anything. Can't figure this one out.

Same here, but the srtange this is, I heard on a program about coasters that if it goes over 5g's your eyes will bulge and you#ll get nose bleeds, I'm not lieing, it was serious program, more about g-froces really than roller coasters.

That program might well have been very correct. But: any "damage" g-forces could do to your health is very dependent on the duration of impact. For instance, rapidly sitting down on an "unpillowed" chair could easily give you 11g (eleven!) in your butt. Got hurt? No. And like jumping down from a wall about 1m (~3ft) high might pull up to 20-25gs in your ankles. Same with advanced skiing and lots of other sports...

On rollercoasters, said "really really high g-forces" (4.5 - 6.5g) do occur for fractions of a second only, and "quite high g-forces" (3 - 4g) for just a few seconds, so besides the risk of greying/blacking out (which is a "harmless" warning signal, but not any actual threat yet), there are more than enough safety margins.

Do not classify any g-forces unless you consider duration, as well as point and orientation of impact also.

And now stomp on your accelerometer... 8)

I think Millennium Force only has 4.5.

I've always found Boomerangs to be intense, and if you're lucky enough to have a smooth one, they're actually decent rides. SFDL's is the park's smoothest coaster (MAYBE tied with S:ROS, but that's getting an unforseen "Intamin Rattle" to it).

I always grey out in the loop going backwards. Really, Just because a ride has been cloned 40+ times doesn't mean it has to be terrible.

Just because a ride has been cloned 40+ times doesn't mean it has to be terrible.

Yeah. And actually, I'd say a ride that has been cloned 40+ times is pretty dam awesome at doing what it does! Sales figures speak louder than enthusiast opinions

As for pulling massive Gs, I'm not surprised at all. It has to complete three loops of the same size off one drop. It's hitting those first loops pretty hard if it wants to make through the rest!

Millennium Force does pull a load of G's when it levels out. Maybe it was just the shakiness of moving at 93 miles per hour, but I could've sworn that my eyelids were being pulled down due to the G-forces.

I've never been on a Boomerang, but I'd guess that the most intense G-forces would be on the cobra roll. On my first Hulk ride I grayed out on the cobra roll, and my friend Ezra did on his first Hulk ride also.

You know, untill I rode my second boomerang last week I didnt remember how good they can be! I've ridden the GL and WA boomerangs, both pretty smooth, but I guess I forgot how intence they can be! I did notice that the return trip through the loop in the front of the train is the most intence spot. Its funny, because as you enter the loop its kinda weak, but once the rest of the train starts picking up speed again, the pull out is intence (that last part sounded really wrong!). But yeah, the cobra roll is pretty good in the front car too, but not nearly as intence because the loop is a good 5 feet shorter than the cobra roll.

Colin C

I will say this about the vast majority of Vekoma coasters- OUCH. But that's a segment of them- A few have been downright smooth, with very few bits of turbulence (I.E> SFA's TwoFace)- and last week I was on SideWinder at HersheyPark- it was just about the roughest I have ever remembered it. I've have yet to find a Inverted class (I.E. Mindbender at SFA, Kong at SFMW) that was smooth- but SFA's is a bit tolerable in the front seat.

Having ridden both types of Flying Dutchman, I can say this- not bad at all. In fact, they were as smooth as any early Arrow-

• 4 months later...

With the help of NoLimits, I can now confirm that on a standard Boomerang, the 5.2Gs is hit in the back row in the vertical loop backwards, right as you are fully upside down.

Sure enough, I rode a Boomerang in real life not too long ago in the very back row, and this time I could definitely feel the Gs going through the loop backwards...

Unfortunately though, the back row is also where the roughest ride is!

To be quite honest, Ive never really noticed the positive Gs on Boomerangs. I dont know if its the length of "impact", or the fact that your sitting down, but B:TR's 4g's seems a hell of a lot more forceful than any sit-down's 5.2. I guess inverts are just a lot easier to tell positives, because I cant really think of a sit-down Ive been on that I remember having tremendously great positives, including MF.

Yeah, on SFA's Two Face, if you sit all the way in the very back seat (taking the 1st trip backwards), the return trip (forwards) is amazingly powerful, especially through the entire vertical loop. It feels more powerful than HP's Sidewinder (boomerang) personally.

--Tyler

Yes. You are most likely correct (because I don't know the answer. But what I do know, is that there is a trim at the bottom of the loop. You can see here: http://www.rcdb.com/ig283.htm?picture=1

To be quite honest, Ive never really noticed the positive Gs on Boomerangs. I dont know if its the length of "impact", or the fact that your sitting down, but B:TR's 4g's seems a hell of a lot more forceful than any sit-down's 5.2. I guess inverts are just a lot easier to tell positives, because I cant really think of a sit-down Ive been on that I remember having tremendously great positives, including MF.

100% agreed, with every thing you said.

--Jay