Dollywood Discussion Thread

p. 734 - Lightning Rod closed for remainder of 2020 season

• Replies 18.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was a time in my life when I would have cared what Lightning Rod was made of.  So refreshing to give precisely zero effs. I just want to go to Dollywood and not worry about it being open! 

Yeah, the difference to the rider between I-Box track and the current track is really minimal. The only major difference would be that the ride would actually be open when you wanted to ride it and wh

Posted Images

The trains are only visible to the public in two locations. Either in the station or on the lift hill. I covered both. I also included a ton of train photos in previous updates. Don't know what else you were expecting.

Edited by ernierocker

I actually got a few money shots of the ride in action from up on top of Slidewinder's queue, which is really the only place you can get close up action shots of the ride. Honestly, though, I had no idea you could see the ride that well from up there, I kind of just stumbled upon it by accident when I went to ride Slidewinder. I'll post them in a few days when I do my TR.

Please do! Also, with a decent external lens, there are a few locations that you can get close-up shots of the trains in action.

Some of those are about to disappear though as the trees continue to fill in.

Good news! Im anxious to get my big lens down to Dollywood specifically for this ride. Also for TT since its so hidden. Either way, loving the reviews. Need to plan a weekend trip down.

Finally got around to looking at this extra-cool media report and I am officially stoked. Can not wait to see this park for the first time later this summer, after those trees have filled in a bit.

Wild Eagle really does have one of the most handsome stations I've ever seen.

My quick thoughts about Wild Eagle-

Seats-

As is typical with B&Ms, the back seats provide the most forces, but this is a ride where the front row makes all the difference. I'd recommend trying both sides of the front row. The left side had more intense g-forces, but the right side provided MUCH better leg and head choppers. This is one of those rides where you should definitely wait for the front row.

Misc.

Photos of the wild eagle sculpture don't do it justice. It's an amazing thing to see in real life. The theming of the queue, station, and giftshop are pure Dollywood. It's Disney quality construction with a smoky mountains rustic feel. Bonus points for the child swap including televisions with Dollywood trivia to keep waiting parents entertained. Minus points for the child swap having a set of stairs. This won't be an issue for most people, but if you are traveling with a stroller bound baby, you won't be able to access it.

Rider Types-

There is a big boy row and it seemed like most people were able to fit in that.. We did see a number of larger riders able to ride other rows with a bit of help. Everything is bigger in the South and I suggest that larger riders give it a shot if they want to ride other rows... While the restraints hold you tight, this ride seems to accomodate more people than typical B&M's.

Conclusion-

Much like Cheetah Hunt was a good addition to Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, Wild Eagle is a great addition to Dollywood. This is just another feather in the hat (pun clearly intended) for one of America's best theme parks. It probably won't make many enthusiasts' top 5, but it as an awesome ride and a perfect fit for Dollywood. For any photographers out there, the train provides great photos of the layout and the queue for Slide Winder has great close up shots.

Chris " my number one head chopper/leg chopper ride" Con

Dollywood without a doubt is an A-class theme park. One of the few left in the USA outside of Disney, Universal and Busch. The quality of the station queue and the details prove that the management is not only trying to provide great rides, they are also providing great atmposphere. This is what sets them head and shoulders about the "Wal-Mart" type parks that Cedar Fair and Six Flags are providing these days. Can't wait to go back this year.

Tomorrow I may get a trip report up with Wild Eagle Photos.Also Veggietales Sideshow Spin is now just Sideshow Spin,and has a new paint scheme,Timber Tower is gone and has been replaced by pinic area for the new pizza place across from Timber Tower's old station,and one of the pathways to get to the County Fair has been landscaped over.

I just got back from Dollywood this evening, and I'm giving a "thumbs up" to Wild Eagle. This ride is an excellent fit for the park (although my favorite ride there is still Thunderhead).

I just got back from Dollywood this evening, and I'm giving a "thumbs up" to Wild Eagle. This ride is an excellent fit for the park (although my favorite ride there is still Thunderhead).

Though I think we all rode Tennessee Tornado more than anything else. Thunderhead is running amazingly well this season. It is my new favorite GCI.

Though I think we all rode Tennessee Tornado more than anything else. Thunderhead is running amazingly well this season. It is my new favorite GCI.

Now that you mention it, I think you're right about Tennessee Tornado--pretty durn impressive for an old Arrow ride.

^I've never tried picking a favorite because of how good they all are.

I'm heading to Dollywood on Friday, and I have an odd question. Are adults allowed to ride the kiddie coaster without a child?

I rode last November with no child without any trouble, think it should still be the same.

I went to Dollywood yesterday, and thanks to Q2Q, I had an amazing and relaxing time! The lines looked gigantic, but the cheap Q-bot system at Dollywood saved my day! I don't have enough pictures for a photo trip report, so I decided I'd just upload a few to this thread!

Dollywood1.jpg.5b4196e6764589ae9f0119b0ba26ccb7.jpg

This would be the Wild Eagle line.

Dollywood2.jpg.897d95dfae54f751da4e99fbda3b99a0.jpg

Just a shot of Thunderhead/ new picnic area

Dollywood3.jpg.27a415080c4808956bf80084a884c375.jpg

The Cinnamon bread was simply amazing!

Dollywood4.jpg.aca5505de4704726c190b01140c80d40.jpg

More amazing food at Dollywood!

Glad you had fun I wish I got a q-bot but my mom said its a waste of money so I was only able to get one ride on Wild Eagle and two rides on the Barnstormer -_- it's a good thing I have season passes lol