TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

^ The LSM fins were steaming on my first ride (that could be commonplace). It looked pretty awesome!

My last ride of the afternoon was in the very back, row 12. It was very shaky. I wouldn't even call it "rough," just alarmingly shaky. I don't know if it was a fluke or not, but it was so shaky that I was legitimately worried that the train was about to blow a wheel or worse. I've never experienced anything like it on another RMC. I definitely won't be requesting the back.

I plan on returning tonight for the fireworks. Hopefully I'll get a nighttime ride in.

Here are a few pics from today. It's a beauty, that's for sure.

Well , steaming fins and shaky ride does not sound good, hope that does not lead to another closing phase...

My last ride of the afternoon was in the very back, row 12. It was very shaky. I wouldn't even call it "rough," just alarmingly shaky. I don't know if it was a fluke or not, but it was so shaky that I was legitimately worried that the train was about to blow a wheel or worse.

Nothing like that when I rode yesterday.

Just as smooth in 12 as 6, but more air, and the classic pull you get in the back.

^ The LSM fins were steaming on my first ride (that could be commonplace). It looked pretty awesome!

My last ride of the afternoon was in the very back, row 12. It was very shaky. I wouldn't even call it "rough," just alarmingly shaky. I don't know if it was a fluke or not, but it was so shaky that I was legitimately worried that the train was about to blow a wheel or worse. I've never experienced anything like it on another RMC. I definitely won't be requesting the back.

I plan on returning tonight for the fireworks. Hopefully I'll get a nighttime ride in.

Here are a few pics from today. It's a beauty, that's for sure.

RMCs can be temperamental from what I've experienced. Sometimes they're butter smooth, and other times they vibrate and make loud grinding/squeaking noises. At least the iron-horse ones do, haven't ridden an all woodie one yet.

So glad everybody got to ride in the dark!

Was thinking about hanging around to get a night ride in myself but with it being so out of the blue running up to the park we need to start heading on back home.

How was the trains running after they started back up? Did they still have the shaky feel to them?

And what about the launch? Did it improve after having time to cool down? I only rode once(row 10) and it was my first time on the ride. I knew getting on not to expect much out of it but it still kind of let down on how weak it felt and how much it slowed down at the top. So I'm hoping very much that that's not normal and was just not running up to speed.

The rest of the ride is awesome and really starts getting out of control by the time it hits the quad down which is incredible. I went from he** yea to holy crap around that part!

Yes, the back had some (maybe 4 or 5) pretty severe jolts throughout the first part of the ride, but then everything after the 2nd wave turn was smooth. My front and middle seat rides were smooth throughout the entire ride.

I got a front seat ride after 10:00 pm. The middle of the ride (exit of first wave turn to exit of outside wave turn) was absolutely pitch black. I couldn't even see the track

Did anybody else feel like they were getting tunnel vision at the top of the wave turn? Maybe it was just the position of the sun shining right into my eyes that gave me that impression, but I was like "Yeah, the first drop had a lot of sustained airtime before the pullout, but I really should not be greying out right now." It was kind of strange. Could be that I'm just not used to being out in 100 degree heat, lol.

Edited by nannerdw

I'm not sure exactly how the shaking feels on Lightning Rod, but I know on Outlaw Run if you ride on a wheel seat, you feel every single bump, track section, and weld to the top of the track surface. It can be a little discomforting to feel during spots of high g forces.

I'm not sure exactly how the shaking feels on Lightning Rod, but I know on Outlaw Run if you ride on a wheel seat, you feel every single bump, track section, and weld to the top of the track surface. It can be a little discomforting to feel during spots of high g forces.

Outlaw Run at its roughest is pretty much every actually rough coaster at its smoothest.

I never experience any shaking on Lightning Rod? Rode both trains front and back and one middle seat ride. There is one tiny bump at the bottom of the first drop but that is it. The ride is incredibly smooth and fast but still feels out of control like a woodie. That is why I love it and Outlaw Run so much.

I am just a loss of words that people are actually saying it was shaky.

By the way, the drop and wave turn are good, but for me, the ride blows away the competition starting with the outward banked top hat to the finish. That is when it goes into overdrive and holy freaking crap.

Agreed.

I never experience any shaking on Lightning Rod? Rode both trains front and back and one middle seat ride. There is one tiny bump at the bottom of the first drop but that is it. The ride is incredibly smooth and fast but still feels out of control like a woodie. That is why I love it and Outlaw Run so much.

I am just a loss of words that people are actually saying it was shaky.

By the way, the drop and wave turn are good, but for me, the ride blows away the competition starting with the outward banked top hat to the finish. That is when it goes into overdrive and holy freaking crap.

Perhaps it was a fluke, but it was shaky. I know the difference between rough, bumpy and shaky. The car was shaking. It was only in the back — every other seat I rode in was fine. Incredibly smooth.

In other news, I have two identical bruises on my shins.

Ride feel is extremely similar to El Toro, though this ride throws you around a bit more and feels just slightly more like a traditional wooden coaster. The one bump on El Toro (and there really was only one from what I remember, on the shallow floater air hill after the turnaround), was more jarring than any of the bumps on Lightning Rod, IMO.

Also, the laterals coming out of the outward wave turn are pretty strong. It reminds me a lot of the twists on Skyrush, though without feeling like you're actually going to fall out, lol.

Ride feel is extremely similar to El Toro, though this ride throws you around a bit more and feels just slightly more like a traditional wooden coaster. The one bump on El Toro (and there really was only one from what I remember, on the shallow floater air hill after the turnaround), was more jarring than any of the bumps on Lightning Rod, IMO.

Also, the laterals coming out of the outward wave turn are pretty strong. It reminds me a lot of the twists on Skyrush, though without feeling like you're actually going to fall out, lol.

Perfect explanation and references, tyvm!