TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

Maybe I missed it in there, but did they mention when this will open for either park?

From the previous page:

Any idea when this stuff opens?

They unfortunately didn't give any details as to when it opens, or what else will be closing/demolished to make room for all this stuff. Hopefully we get some of that news soon.

Just came back from a week trip to Disney (First trip ever) and I noticed no construction at Magic Kingdom (Except for some construction around the castle) or Hollywood Studios BUT there is a very big area at Animal Kingdom behind walls that is probably big enough to be a new avatar area.

With that being said, I really loved Hollywood Studios.. No one I went with really wanted to come to this park (Hollywood Studios) BUT it was my second favorite behind Animal Kingdom.. Overall I thought it was a really neat and fun park!

I did feel it was a very empty park and aside from a few rides it didn't offer much.. But me being a fan of movies I just loved everything about it.. I was happy to come home and read this announcement today!

My friends had almost talked me out of going to Hollywood Studios but glad I did one evening.. It was about 2 hours before it closed and no waits on anything.. Not even tower of terror or rock n rollercoaster..

The only reason I got to go is bc my girlfriends favorite restaurant is 50s prime time diner and she was able to find reservations there for 7:45

BTW our whole trip to Disney was just planned the day before we left.. We both had a week off and this is what we decided to do

I don't really follow Disney Parks but I really enjoyed every minute being there. I will probably follow them a lot more closely now

Edited by dstephe9

WOW!!! The slinky coaster looks to be amazing and very unique!

Glad to see Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land making it over to the park! It looks like the coaster will be placed where all of those empty theaters and soundstages are!

I hope everything gets underway soon so I don't have to wait too long to ride!

(However, for the longest time I had wished that there would be an awesome launched coaster themed to RC Racer...)

I'm sure Robb's heard about this for awhile like I have, and while I am excited about it, the long rumored opening dates of 2017 for Toy Story and 2020/2021 for Star Wars keep my enthusiasm a bit muted. 2021, if it ends up being true, is 6 years away. I'll be 38. Trying to be excited about a ride opening then is kinda impossible.

I'm sure it'll all be good though. Slinky Dog looks like a (probable) Intamin version of Manta at SWSD and Firechaser Express. Should be fun.

Long time lurker here, but this is my first post... here goes! I was struggling to get my head around where the Toy Story Land would fit , especially a few weeks ago when I first heard the rumour of a coaster appearing in the line up! Anyway, after I matched up the orientation of TSMM with the rest of the concept, I managed to pin down most of the land over a google maps image. I also think I have spotted the yet to be announced Woodys Roundup, which I had also heard rumoured a few times, and the location also matches up to the Western styled buildings in the bottom of the concept artwork ...

20433664360_4b9e5d418e_b.jpg

Yes, I also think 2017 sounds optimistic, with Disney's construction timescales, but backstage areas have been cleared up as late, so hopefully ground will break in the very near future. Hopefully the graphic I threw together will help people get their heads around the announcement in real terms

- Tayler

Anyway, after I matched up the orientation of TSMM with the rest of the concept, I managed to pin down most of the land over a google maps image. I also think I have spotted the yet to be announced Woodys Roundup, which I had also heard rumoured a few times, and the location also matches up to the Western styled buildings in the bottom of the concept artwork ...

Nice presentation. Not too shabby.

I'm also curious about the ride manufacturer of the Slinky coaster. First guess is Gerstlauer because they did Firechaser Express, and it looks like a similar kind of ride.

^My first thought when I saw the concept art was Big Grizley Mountain at Hong Kong Disneyland, lift section launch section. I'm sure this won't be as "intense" as that but the layout and lift/potential launch section certainly reminded me of that.

Also, the Slinkydog Coaster and all of Toy Story land should be a great addition to the studios ahead of Star Wars. I've always loved the park but with a 3 year old now there's not a ton for us to do outside Playhouse Jr. Live, Frozen Sing Along, and Little Mermaid show, so this should nice for everyone who's not ready for the bigger attractions.

^My first thought when I saw the concept art was Big Grizley Mountain at Hong Kong Disneyland, lift section launch section. I'm sure this won't be as "intense" as that but the layout and lift/potential launch section certainly reminded me of that.

Also, the Slinkydog Coaster and all of Toy Story land should be a great addition to the studios ahead of Star Wars. I've always loved the park but with a 3 year old now there's not a ton for us to do outside Playhouse Jr. Live, Frozen Sing Along, and Little Mermaid show, so this should nice for everyone who's not ready for the bigger attractions.

In much the same boat - the Toy Story additions should nice balance out the Star Wars additions for age groups once both new lands are open.

I'm extremely happy that Disney is doing something on this scale for Toy Story - I was afraid they'd simply close another Toy Story Land like Paris or Hong Kong - glad they realized that those attractions not only weren't interesting/marquee enough, but not even close to the kind of capacity they would need in Florida either.

As much as I love new attractions, the expansions to the (massively popular for a reason) TSMM and Soaring rides are a safe bet and the right thing to do for guests.

Mildly sad to see the stunt car show go - it was pretty amazing in it's heyday - but the key word is *WAS*. Excited for this new hotness!

Wow... I hadn't heard the news yet about the car stunt show being closed. I might have just missed it.

There hasn't been any news about. Like I already said a few pages back, no information has been given about what is staying or going, or timelines on any of these projects.

I'm uploading the super high res version of that Toy Story concept art so people can pick it apart further. Are we sure that the "Woody's Roundup" ride is on there? Or is it the alien ride that looks more like Junkyard Jamboree? But covered.... because it's Florida...and it rains!

I'm not sure why they wouldn't have announced it with the rest of the land if it was coming. I'm just happy there will be a 40% increase in the number of mechanical rides at that park.

Toy Story Land 1000x more awesome to me that Star Wars anything.

Its great to see this park getting such a huge development. If it wasn't for "For The First Time In Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration" and ToT I could have easily gone without visiting the park (other than to get my Elsa Magic Band! ).

I think the layout tayspru came up with is probably pretty accurate.

It looks like the parachute drop ride might actually be there as well.

I hadn't thought about them moving the TSMM entrance but after looking at the Concept art, you can clearly see the entrance to it in the middle. I would think that would make the current entrance area pretty pointless since the only other thing in that area currently is bathrooms I think. They would probably need that area still for foot traffic, but it would essentially just be a long hallway.

I also like the detail on the coaster, how there will be some extra track pieces not part of the ride. That always happened when playing with hot wheels or toy trains and whatever.

I'm uploading the super high res version of that Toy Story concept art so people can pick it apart further. Are we sure that the "Woody's Roundup" ride is on there? Or is it the alien ride that looks more like Junkyard Jamboree? But covered.... because it's Florida...and it rains!

Ah, looking at the high res, that could be the case! But we can still dream right

Ah, looking at the high res, that could be the case! But we can still dream right

image.thumb.jpg.980946c682be07ad9cec53fe5d65a67b.jpg

It looks like the parachute drop ride might actually be there as well.

I'm not seeing that anywhere on the concept art. I see some parachute theming over by the coaster, but I don't see anything that suggest the ride would be there.