TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ferrari World Discussion Thread

I know it's been mentioned before, but hopefully this ride has a "kink" in the first drop like Skyrush. One of the biggest "Oh S**t" moments for me on that was the initial airtime, then that nosedive towards the ground.

Ive ridden Skryush once before, (and loved it) but still dont understand what people mean by a "kink". Could you explain it to me please?

It's best felt in the back. During the first drop, you get two pops of air. The first comes while cresting the hill and initially dropping. The second is midway through the drop, when the hill is around 85 degrees. It's a little hard to explain, but if you rode it again, I think you would get what I mean.

Doesn't steel eel have 2 pops of air on it's drop?

I know it's been mentioned before, but hopefully this ride has a "kink" in the first drop like Skyrush. One of the biggest "Oh S**t" moments for me on that was the initial airtime, then that nosedive towards the ground.

Ive ridden Skryush once before, (and loved it) but still dont understand what people mean by a "kink". Could you explain it to me please?

It's best felt in the back. During the first drop, you get two pops of air. The first comes while cresting the hill and initially dropping. The second is midway through the drop, when the hill is around 85 degrees. It's a little hard to explain, but if you rode it again, I think you would get what I mean.

I wouldn't call it two pops of air as you continuously get airtime as you go down the drop. The thing is it's not constant (like on a B&M hyper) as you start by getting moderate air and then near the end it rapidly increases to OMFG ejector. (it's not evenly distributed)

Doesn't steel eel have 2 pops of air on it's drop?

There's a single point in the drop where the radius of the curve tightens and you get a spike of airtime, rather than a smooth increase and decrease in the forces. Most modern steel coasters avoid this kind of sudden jarring force. My theory is that the kink has to do with where the second support column is and was necessary to fit the drop in such a tight space. I wouldn't get my hopes up for a similar shape on the drop for this coaster.

The middle of the train is sitting right over top of the "kink" in this picture. You can see the crest of the drop is a fairly constant radius, but just before the evacuation stairs end, the drop actually flattens out slightly. Right under the middle of the train, the track radius suddenly decreases. (It does actually look to be a function of the support to me.)

Skyrush.jpg.5a8c01b3fb1eef6ee23d6e66a3f8bc5d.jpg

^Exactly. They wanted their 85 degree max angle, but they couldn't move the support column any closer to the apex or raise the max height of the ride, hence the bizarre shape.

@vigil & neil

Actually, the shape of drops on modern coasters are determined by ODE. It gives you the require angle for the bottom of the drop, with reference to the angle of the top.

^Exactly. They wanted their 85 degree max angle, but they couldn't move the support column any closer to the apex or raise the max height of the ride, hence the bizarre shape.

@vigil & neil009

The shapes of drops are determined by ODEs. The result give you the angle the bottom of the drop needs to be in relationship to the top.

Hi King,

I believe ODE stands for ordinary differential equation. There are some extremely intelligent physics/engineering geniuses that frequent these boards I feel like one of them will pop by and explain it as it is not my area of expertise.

According to math insight, it can be defined as...

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) is an equation that involves some ordinary derivatives (as opposed to partial derivatives) of a function. Often, our goal is to solve an ODE, i.e., determine what function or functions satisfy the equation.

• 2 weeks later...

Update from inside the dome with both new coasters in there coming along nicely.

F1.thumb.jpg.9ae0ec54806cd4fe1c2b0d8065b33d6d.jpg

Here's the Intamin shuttle coaster. Quite how its going to get through that huge glass wall to get outside I have no idea.

2FW.thumb.JPG.ba58007e2b9c76706e1d5dcaa0799c89.JPG

The outdoor part of the SFX coaster is done and you can see the Intamin shuttle in the background here too.

Source

Ferrari World is going to become a big player in the industry. They are building more innovative rides than a lot of the big box chains even are. If the park was closer to home, I feel like I would visit it quite often once these few big projects are complete.

Didn't everyone say that they were "going to become a big player" back in 2010 when the park opened in the first place?

I don't remember even hearing about this park until Formula Rossa came out. It's hard to judge a park's future based off of two coasters, even if one is the world's fastest.

I'm just saying that in a way, the point is more evident than ever now that more unique concepts are being built. While I think that the Ferrari brand and owning the world's fastest coaster turns a lot of heads, the park is going above and beyond with the attractions. They aren't just going with the cheap cookie cutters.

The park currently has (or is building):

- The world's fastest coaster

- A unique dueling coaster

- Only Intamin Wing Coaster other than Skyrush (and largest loop record)

- Only SFX coaster other than Gringott's

- What we can assume to be a one of a kind shuttle from Intamin

There's a lot of things there that not many other parks can boast having. The assumption back in 2010 could have been considered a little premature, but now through all of the development of the park, I would say it is very accurate.

Finally

Heres some general pics of new theming, or last least, new since I was last there.

The 5th Birthday cake

and other general stuff.

I have to say the park is looking good, apart from the obvious construction.

The new theming really adds to the section of the park that were a bit bare before.