TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P.. 420: Pirates of Speelunker Cave announced for 2022!

o_o They are going to slide some wood in along with those red steel rails, aren't they? Would this change the classification of the ride at all? That looks seriously weird.

Uhh, what rock/cave have you been living under/in?

Seriously, what would be the point of retrofitting the entire ride with a steel track system and then putting wood on them?

Obviously, the one where people don't hover constantly about an update or aren't in the know. And hey, how would I know? That's why I asked the question.

Those photos are actually really cool.

Well I wouldn't say one would have to "hover constantly" about the Texas Giant renovation to know the sheer basics that they're converting it to a steel-track system. This whole project was announced in March 2009 and has been a significant source of discussion since, but maybe you just haven't been keeping up with big news in the coaster world...?

Went out to the park today and took a couple of pictures...

The chain guide is almost finished

Starting to look pretty wicked there on that turn.

See what I mean?

Rails in place at the bottom of the 3rd drop.

Maybe a matter of perspective, but that pullout into the 1st turn looks kinda tight/intense.

^No way that will be on the first turn. I'd be really surprised if it is. I'm thinking that will be a 95 degree turn, and the turn into the 3rd or 4th drop will be the really heavy bank. I kind of feel like all 3 turns after the drop will be overbanked. While that is very exciting, it also doesn't leave too much room for any lateral forces in the first half of the ride. Here is hoping that the second half of the ride will still deliver that element!

One question--after the rehabilitation, will Texas Giant be considered a steel coaster? I would assume so, just as I would consider Gemini a steel coaster, but just wondering.

The drop looks ultra amazing!

I believe Robb already put this one to rest. I wouldn't bring it up anymore.

The further along this gets, the more excited I get. Our household has pretty much decided a quick trip to the DFW area is in order next spring / summer. I rode this when it was a new Woodie, and I'd love to ride it when it is a new Steelie!

David

I think they stay there, the wheel just goes between.

What he said.

That seems like mighty precise engineering as coaster trains tend to shuffle a little, but I'm no engineer.

There's more room there than appears in pictures. There's nearly enough room between those bolts to mount one of the traditional steel running rails if they wanted to.

There's more room there than appears in pictures. There's nearly enough room between those bolts to mount one of the traditional steel running rails if they wanted to.

OK, I'll buy that answer. It's hard to judge scale and depth in a picture.

I could be wrong but it appeared the bolts and plates were just temporary and that I saw them going back and welding pieces of the track together and buffing them down to a smooth surface. Not sure they're doing that everywhere but I would find it a bit odd if they left the bolts in place as the train tolerances would have to be spot-on to prevent some catastrophic wheel problems.