TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Dispatches were a nightmare. Some of it was probably due to them only running one train that day, but a lot of the headsets weren't working which held up the train as well. Maybe it's gotten a bit better, but hearing how much trouble this VR is giving people in parks like New England makes me believe it's still bad at Over Texas as well.

I visited on one of the busiest days of the year but splurged on a platinum pass. With the pass, the line started on the final ramp to the station and that took about 30 mins (which I'm guessing would have ordinarily taken about 5-10 minutes). Because of the problems with the headsets (at least a couple would break per train), dispatches were between 5-8 minutes. From what I was told, the line without any kind of fast pass was around 3 hours. It was incredibly busy on the day I was there, but I would suggest that if you want to ride Shockwave at all, get over to it as fast as you can.

Most of the rides were between 1.5 and 2.5 hours when I was there, but Shockwave and Runaway Mountain seemed to be the worst all day long whereas the others would lighten up now and again.

Does Shockwave not have an up charge on Platnium since it's VR now?? DDD at SFOG was a $15 up charge for one ride and only available on Platnium, whereas before VR it was Platnium only, but you ride as many times as you wanted.

Does Shockwave not have an up charge on Platnium since it's VR now?? DDD at SFOG was a $15 up charge for one ride and only available on Platnium, whereas before VR it was Platnium only, but you ride as many times as you wanted.

It didn't when I visited, but even with platinum, the line was too slow-moving for re-rides I found. I think I rode it twice with VR and twice without? I can't quite recall, but the non-VR ride was much better than the VR version for me.

Was there any hours where they didn't run it with VR? I know Superman @ SFFT runs without it from 3:30-5:30 and I find that the best time to ride.

Not that I noticed. I rode it soon after it debuted so things may have changed. Although you could certainly refuse one of the headsets when you got to the station, there were no special privileges for opting out or anything. It was running as VR the whole day I was there, but they also had some ticketing system going on that I couldn't quite grasp (because I skipped it). From what I could gather, they didn't have enough queue space for the ride, so people were taking tickets and then returning at a designated time where they could then queue for however long the queue would take (2+ hours on that day). It was a strange set up — almost like two separate queue pens before you got to what would be the regular queue up the station ramps (which is where you started queueing if you had Platinum). The day was an anomaly though. Traffic to get into the parking lot was backed all the way up to the freeway.

If I end up getting up to the park this week I'll see if there's any time of day that's better to ride it- it's one of my favorite coasters. I love the classic intensity and the ridiculous whip over the drops in the back. The airtime is great with the minimal lapbars and the whole ride is butter smooth.

I just went to SFOT and I had a ton of fun. I rode NTAG twice (once in front once in the back), Shockwave with VR once (rode it in the back), and Judge Roy Scream once (front row). NTAG is now my #1 favorite coaster. The airtime is insane, and there's so much of it. The latersls are pretty good too.

My top 4 coasters in the park (still haven't ridden Titan) is :

4. B:TR

3. Shockwave

2. MF: RB

1. NTAG

I just went to SFOT and I had a ton of fun. I rode NTAG twice (once in front once in the back), Shockwave with VR once (rode it in the back), and Judge Roy Scream once (front row). NTAG is now my #1 favorite coaster. The airtime is insane, and there's so much of it. The latersls are pretty good too.

My top 4 coasters in the park (still haven't ridden Titan) is :

4. B:TR

3. Shockwave

2. MF: RB

1. NTAG

It will probably stay that way after you ride Headache: The Ride, but maybe you'll like it, and chances are you'll like it more than I do, at the very least.

I totally agree with NTaG- I can't decide between NTaG, Outlaw Run, Maverick, or Millennium Force as my favorite coaster though when I put them in an order I do tend to put MF (barely) ahead of NTaG.

ShockWave without VR might also be better than with. I think VR makes coasters feel less forceful and that's one of ShockWave's strong points. It doesn't always click with people but even if it doesn't it's still really fun.

Mr Freeze is seriously the most hilarious ride ever and way more fun than it deserves to be. It sits snugly in my top ten steel even after adding a ton more from my recent trip. Seriously, that thing rocks.

As for BTR it's awesome but there are two others in the state. This is the smoother and more forceful clone between the ones at the Texas SF parks though.

Runaway Mountain is way more intense than it seems and incredibly fun, the mine train is historic but the lift hills are super painful if you don't brace yourself. Even if you're not into drop towers or swing rides, S:ToP and the Texas Sky Screamer are both great and some of my favorite flats.

Great to see that you're having fun! Enjoy the park!

Hello, all. I'm a grown lady who likes going to SFOT, but it's hell trying to find anyone to go with me, particularly during the week. (I happily burn a few vacation days a year to go ride roller coasters.) I mean, my toddler is certainly a fan, but I can't really take him on the Riddler and whatnot (YET). My husband, bless him, can't ride much of anything without feeling nauseated. A few hours alone to ride what I want can be bliss, but it gets a bit depressing after that. Figured it couldn't hurt to attempt to make some local coaster enthusiast friends who might be at the park when I go.

Hello, all. I'm a grown lady who likes going to SFOT, but it's hell trying to find anyone to go with me, particularly during the week. (I happily burn a few vacation days a year to go ride roller coasters.) I mean, my toddler is certainly a fan, but I can't really take him on the Riddler and whatnot (YET). My husband, bless him, can't ride much of anything without feeling nauseated. A few hours alone to ride what I want can be bliss, but it gets a bit depressing after that. Figured it couldn't hurt to attempt to make some local coaster enthusiast friends who might be at the park when I go.

I'm about to head over in about an hour. You are welcome to meet up with us and hang out.

I would recommend taking your husband on Catwoman Whip. It's a gentle ride that rarely makes anyone nauseous.

I'm about to head over in about an hour. You are welcome to meet up with us and hang out.

I'm actually going tomorrow. Took the day off, so I'll be there from open until 4ish.

I would recommend taking your husband on Catwoman Whip. It's a gentle ride that rarely makes anyone nauseous.

In the past month, I've seen that thing shut down twice for barfs cleanup. I'm actually terrified to ride it and be on the receiving end of someone's nervous stomach, ha.

Saturday in August sounds awful. If there's any way you can, budget for a Flash Pass. I haven't been on a Saturday in August before but I have been on a Saturday. That was a Saturday in June and the forecast kept everyone away. Saturdays in late summer at almost any park are really packed without fail.

Apparently the longest lines for the coasters are usually around 6:20 PM according to CoasterQueue, but I would expect hour waits. ShockWave will probably be awful with the VR. That being said you'll probably have enough time to do everything you want providing you optimize the order you do things in.

La Vibora, ShockWave w/ VR, Runaway Mountain, and JLBFM will probably have really slow moving lines. JLBFM is the only one I know for sure has a single rider line as it was mentioned to me when I asked for advice about the park. However I haven't been to the park as a single rider before.

Just got an email from SFOT asking me to take a survey. The email said they were in the process of picking the rides, and ride improvements for 2017. There were a LOT of Justice League questions. But one that really stood out was:

"Lets pretned for a moment we were thinking about changing the name of the Justice League attraction. Which of the following do you think is most compelling?

Justice League: Battle Ride

Justice League: Battle of The Superheros

Justice League: The Ride

Justice League: Battle For Metropolis

Justice League: The Game

Justice League: Heroes VS. Villians

Justice League: The Experience"

Then it asked which of the following sounds most like a ride, and which of the following sounds most like a show, and it gave the same options as above.

I find it interesting that the survey did not actually ask any questions like "What type of ride would you like to see at SFOT next?" Or anything along those lines, similar to what other parks have done. Instead this entire survey was related to Justice League.

I wonder what kind of changes they are going to be making to Justice League.

Just got an email from SFOT asking me to take a survey. The email said they were in the process of picking the rides, and ride improvements for 2017. There were a LOT of Justice League questions. But one that really stood out was:

"Lets pretned for a moment we were thinking about changing the name of the Justice League attraction. Which of the following do you think is most compelling?

Justice League: Battle Ride

Justice League: Battle of The Superheros

Justice League: The Ride

Justice League: Battle For Metropolis

Justice League: The Game

Justice League: Heroes VS. Villians

Justice League: The Experience"

Then it asked which of the following sounds most like a ride, and which of the following sounds most like a show, and it gave the same options as above.

I find it interesting that the survey did not actually ask any questions like "What type of ride would you like to see at SFOT next?" Or anything along those lines, similar to what other parks have done. Instead this entire survey was related to Justice League.

I wonder what kind of changes they are going to be making to Justice League.

They're probably changing the name thinking that the public and the enthusaists will believe its an entirely different ride. Remember, this is the company that got people to believe that Superloops were rollercoasters

^For some reason I really doubt that if they were to change the name that it's because they're trying to call it a new attraction. And yes, they did call super loops coasters because it's smart marketing. No problem with that at all (even if you disagree with the classification).

What I think this more likely concerns is potential names for the upcoming 2017 dark rides at Great Adventure, Over Georgia and maybe Magic Mountain.

Hey y'all my 9 year old son and I will be in Dallas the next few days and could use some local expertise please. We're from Atlanta and frequent SFOG a lot but this is our first time at SFOT and really looking forward to it. My son is 53' in. tall (oh so close to 54', like hair touches measurement stick) so this looks like the perfect park for him as SFOG is mostly over 54' for the bigger rides. Will be heading out Sunday and Monday mornings until it gets too hot or the park gets too crowded. Are Sunday's open until lunch time a good time to go like they are at SFOG?

Also, watching coasterqueue it looks like hitting Pandemonium first thing may be good followed by Justice League maybe second? Really looking forward to JL as SFOG is getting one next year.

Trying not to over think things but thought a bit of a game plan would be a good idea.

One more quick question please, we're staying up in Richardson will the commute from here down there on Monday be a nightmare? Front desk suggested we leave around 9:00 am to get there by 10:15ish does that sound about right?

Thanks for your help and sorry for the grammar and typos I'm typing this on my tablet and if anyone is going to be there tomorrow or Monday and may want to meet up for a ride or two please message me it's always fun to meet fellow enthusiasts.

Adam

La Vibora, Justice League, or Pandemonium are a good bet for hitting first as a small "plan of attack". SFOT is a pretty 53" friendly park with most of the major rides being 42" or 48", namely ShockWave and NTaG which are also the two best coasters in the park. I think Batman and Mr Freeze are the only major coasters with a 54" although if you're looking for anything specific their website should have it.

also

hang on hang on hang on

I was just on the SFOT website and on the page for New Revolution on ShockWave, there's this:

Guests are asked to stop by the ride beforehand to reserve their time to ride. Sign up, come back at your designated time, and hop on! (All reservations are first come, first serve.)

Did it always say this or are they using not terrible policies on this? Is it actually reservation based like CP? I'm confused. The VR at SFFT was just like the normal line but with VR and slower-moving. I thought all the SF VR was like that? Did they change it or something or is the reservation thing just bs?

La Vibora, Justice League, or Pandemonium are a good bet for hitting first as a small "plan of attack". SFOT is a pretty 53" friendly park with most of the major rides being 42" or 48", namely ShockWave and NTaG which are also the two best coasters in the park. I think Batman and Mr Freeze are the only major coasters with a 54" although if you're looking for anything specific their website should have it.

also

hang on hang on hang on

I was just on the SFOT website and on the page for New Revolution on ShockWave, there's this:

Guests are asked to stop by the ride beforehand to reserve their time to ride. Sign up, come back at your designated time, and hop on! (All reservations are first come, first serve.) [/quote

Did it always say this or are they using not terrible policies on this? Is it actually reservation based like CP? I'm confused. The VR at SFFT was just like the normal line but with VR and slower-moving. I thought all the SF VR was like that? Did they change it or something or is the reservation thing just bs?

Thanks for the help! Will hit those first. Really looking forward to seeing how Shockwave is vs. Mindbender and vice versa.

Excited for NTAG and Titan too those ill be a game decision not sure if my son will want to go that big yet.

Thanks again!

Guests are asked to stop by the ride beforehand to reserve their time to ride. Sign up, come back at your designated time, and hop on! (All reservations are first come, first serve.)

In mid-June, there was no reservation system at Shock Wave; it was almost the same setup as the one on Krypton Coaster at Fiesta Texas.

Rode Justice League last week and noticed several issues with the ride. Lots of special effects either working less than perfect or not at all. For example, it didn't do the blue blast of gas at the beginning, the "smoke screen" was barely visible due to barely any smoke, missing audio, etc. Sad to see it degrade that much in a year.

They were running every other train with VR on Shockwave. Didn't really improve the dispatch time though.

Riddler is definitely my new favorite flat. Titan may have jumped a spot above Firehawk since it wasn't quite as awful as usual when I rode it on Monday. NTaG was hauling and I have no idea why people prefer IRat or even consider it at the same level as NTaG. The airtime is way stronger than anything on IRat and the ride feels so much more complete. Runaway Mountain is also way better than I remember, definitely the best steel family coaster I've been on. Judge Roy in the front row has amazing airtime. ShockWave's operations were awful, 12 minute dispatches on average with VR. Luckily the ride itself is still amazing and was worth the wait. Mr Freeze was much more intense than I remembered but still hella fun. Rodeo is one of the best flats in the park as well.