TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

So apparently a really bad storm with 85 + mile per hour wind gusts just went through the Muskegon area (not sure how close to MIA, but I know not too far). There are reports of 8-10" diameter trees down and flooded roads so let's hope MIAs smaller trees survived! Don't want all the trees damaged again.

In other news we were there today and they had a security checkpoint at the gates. They had a hand metal detector and everything. According to a buddy that works there they were even screening employees. Oh and the second train is also supposedly in a maintence shop, and I can second that because I didn't see it in the employee parking lot with the other cars.

Someone mentioned on the previous page about a new maintenance building. I was at the water park today and noticed a large area behind the employee training center that I assume is for this. It's cleared, but don't see any foundations quite yet. However, it is very encouraging!

To start, I would love to respectfully hear what you have to say about my ideas. Please note that this is my idea, and I haven't specifically heard this from any person or website. This is my idea on how Michigan's Adventure could get 4 "New" coasters for the 2018 season. I know that Cedar Fair is not that into ride relocations, but I could still see this happening. The overall reason why this could happen is Michigan's Adventure needs a new roller coaster, and the overall reason why it couldn't is Cedar Fair doesn't like ride relocations

Rides they would remove in 2017, and what they would have to do before re-installing them in 2018:

+Vortex from CGA: New Paint, New Name

+Vortex from Carowinds: New Paint, Floorless Cars

+Boomerang from KBF: New Paint. New Vekoma Vest Trains

+Time Warp from CW: New Paint. Possibly a new name

Reasons why this could and couldn't happen:

Vortex from CGA

Could:

+This ride is really old and in need of a face lift

+It isn't popular. When I visited over the summer a couple years ago, this ride was consistently a walk on.

+The area was listed as a new attraction space when Cedar Fair released their future plans for CGA

Couldn't:

+It just got new paint, so that means it could have a refurbishment

+It was rumored to get the floorless treatment and stay at CGA

Vortex from Carowinds

Could:

+Carowinds has been rapidly expanding, and this could go to make more space

+A Floorless would be a good fit for Michigan's Adventure

+There are so many other good coasters at Carowinds, this gets overlooked an therefore isn't super popular

+They have been removing coasters

+This space could fit some of the 5 flat rides that their getting from Europe

Couldn't:

+This one has been highly rumored to get the floorless treatment and stay there

+Cedar Fair has dumped over $300 million into the park, so I would be surprised if they replaced it with anything (due to the amount of money they've spent), and something is better than nothing (Excludes Hades 360*)

Boomerang from Knott's

Could:

+While Carolina Cobra (another boomerang in the chain) got vest restraints and updated cars, Knott's didn't

+Riptide, a ride located right next to it, was removed. If they removed this also, they would have a lot of room to add a new ride

+They have 4 rides that deliver rides that are under 30 seconds. Excluding the lift hills, this one is about that short too. Knott's could put in a much higher capacity ride in its place

+The entire boardwalk got a major facelift with the addition of Voyage to the Iron Reef and The Boardwalk, but Boomerang (located right next to those additions) didn't. It just got paint

Couldn't:

+Knotts said that they are moving towards being a "family park" so removing this ride would help them go in that direction if they placed it with a couple family rides

Time Warp from CW

Could:

+It has been reported on Screamscape from a Canada's Wonderland insider that it will be removed

+It isn't popular (from what I've heard)

+Canada's Wonderland is reportedly getting a new wing coaster in 2018, so if they removed this in 2017, they would have some room to work with

Couldn't:

+It doesn't take up a huge amount of space

+Maintenance is pretty minimal (from what I've heard)

+They will probably want to keep the title of Canada's Only Flying Coaster

To start, I would love to respectfully hear what you have to say about my ideas. Please note that this is my idea, and I haven't specifically heard this from any person or website. This is my idea on how Michigan's Adventure could get 4 "New" coasters for the 2018 season. I know that Cedar Fair is not that into ride relocations, but I could still see this happening. The overall reason why this could happen is Michigan's Adventure needs a new roller coaster, and the overall reason why it couldn't is Cedar Fair doesn't like ride relocations

Pretty much all good and fair points except for the fact that the only rollercoaster added while MIA has belonged to CF is a relocated Vekoma slc. I really just want something lol. Even if it is just this second train working.

ThunderHawks 2nd coaster train is working all fine now.

You are correct about the clearing behind the new training center is for the new maintenance building. They just started working it.

The 2nd set of train cars have been relocated out to the train storage building.

4 coasters in one year?

Ask Geauga lake how that worked out.

Yes, but they were all new and not used. But, I agree that four coasters in one year would be too much for a park the size of Michigan's Adventure. I could see this happening over a time period of a few years.

And who would run them? There were a number of rides closed when I was there because they were understaffed. Coasters take more people to operate than flat rides do. If anything, this park needs to remove a few rides so they can operate the rest more consistently.

And who would run them? There were a number of rides closed when I was there because they were understaffed. Coasters take more people to operate than flat rides do. If anything, this park needs to remove a few rides so they can operate the rest more consistently.

This coaster runs with only one operator.

One thing you have to realize about adding all of those coasters in one year would be cost. That would be at least a $10 million expansion, even with all of the coasters being used. Even parks in the middle tier like Kings Dominion haven't gotten an expansion like that in 5+ years.

Depending on when you were there (if it was this summer) the staff shortage was due to a lot of the ops still being in school.

Depending on when you were there (if it was this summer) the staff shortage was due to a lot of the ops still being in school.

I was there on Saturday June 4.

How busy does this park get on a Saturday? I am only interested in riding the roller coasters with the hopes of riding Shivering Timbers multiple times. I would be at the park at open and only be able to spend 3-4 hours in the park. Would this be a possibility on a Saturday without Fast Lane? Or is Fast Lane advised? Thanks in advance for the help.

^ Definitely, no fast lane needed. I spent 5 hours there on a Saturday and rode all the coasters (except Mad Mouse, which was closed, and Big Dipper, which I had no interest in), plus the water rides, and a reride on Thunderhawk and multiple rerides on Shivering Timbers. If you're skipping the water rides, 3-4 hours is plenty, as the water rides had the longest lines other than Wolverine Wildcat. If you're there at opening, go to WW first, then you're golden.

^ Definitely, no fast lane needed. I spent 5 hours there on a Saturday and rode all the coasters (except Mad Mouse, which was closed, and Big Dipper, which I had no interest in), plus the water rides, and a reride on Thunderhawk and multiple rerides on Shivering Timbers. If you're skipping the water rides, 3-4 hours is plenty, as the water rides had the longest lines other than Wolverine Wildcat. If you're there at opening, go to WW first, then you're golden.

As a Michigander, I second this explanation! You should be good to go, even on a Saturday!

As a Michigander, I second this explanation! You should be good to go, even on a Saturday!

Unless its late July or August

Is three hours enough time to hit up everything major at this park?

Edit - reading the thread now and seeing almost this exact discussion.

Edited by Mossed

Unless its late July or August

But who would do such a stupid thing as go to an amusement park on a Saturday in late July or early August?!?!

Seriously though, even on a Saturday during that time, if he's going to just ride ST twice, WW, Thunderhawk, Corkscrew, Mad Mouse, and maybe Zach's Zoomer, four hours should still be enough time. He might have to cut either ZZ, or MM, if he's coming up short because it's particularly busy. But I guess my other point is: don't spend the extra on Fast Lane, just to ride ZZ, a stock Mad Mouse, or even Corkscrew, really. The "credits" aren't worth the money, and you can ride the "Big 3" (well, Big 1, and the two distant followers), including ST, in 3-4 hours, no problemo.

How busy does this park get on a Saturday? I am only interested in riding the roller coasters with the hopes of riding Shivering Timbers multiple times. I would be at the park at open and only be able to spend 3-4 hours in the park. Would this be a possibility on a Saturday without Fast Lane? Or is Fast Lane advised? Thanks in advance for the help.

July or August: very. In truth, you don't even need it to be that busy to cause huge waits. My recollection is gates open about an hour before rides do, so the line for low capacity stuff will be nuts. Go to the mouse first, IMO; the PLCs basically limit that ride to running 3-4 4 person cars, so waits are interminably bad. Timbers and Thunderhawk should be last concerns as they have two trains.