TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I may or may not go to SFDK on Saturday. It looks like the high temp will be in the upper 70s. Any tips for avoiding possible crowds?

I don't have a strategy to avoid crowds unless I walk over by the vet/nursery area. But theres' not really any rides over there, but it's a nice place to get some relaxation.

Well for me Roar and Kong always have a slow moving line. Last i've been there was the 2010 season though so hopefully Roar has two trains going on. As for Kong I don't really recommend it but it is the only SLC in the park, however I can hardly tell what section of the track i'm on since it goes so fast trough all it's elements. Medusa's line have pretty much always been quick for me as have V2's.

Bye bye big screen?

It had reached the end of its usefull life. We still have lots planned for that area of the ride.

If SFDK had kept the big screen for Superman, it would just SBNO anyways like the former Big Spin video shack by the exit?

I may or may not go to SFDK on Saturday. It looks like the high temp will be in the upper 70s. Any tips for avoiding possible crowds?

Try this: First go hit Kong, Medusa, and Skyscreamer. Then go over to the Roar and V2 area and go on those, after that make a loop around the back of the park starting with Taz.

That worked pretty well for me last time I was there.

I was there on a Saturday in April and it was fairly crowded but not too bad. This is what I'd suggest:

Get there just about opening and go to Medusa first. You want to beat the crowd that will be there within 15-30 minutes. Try Kong 2nd or else wait until later in the day. You could try Sky Screamer at this time too. Then, head over to V2/Roar and see how those are... V2 is a lot shorter wait than Roar. If Roar is only running one train, I wouldn't attempt unless the line is really short.

Midday see the shows and check out the animals, get lunch, and try the flat rides. VooDoo never has much of a wait, Tazmanian's line (if it's open) goes really quickly even if there's a lot of people. If it's hot, the lines for the water rides will probably be hideous but you can always go to the Shouka show and sit in the splash zone to cool off.

After about 5 or 6:00 (depending on what time closing is) Medusa and the other coasters have almost walk-on lines. I think most families start trickling out about that time so the crowd thins out a lot. If you don't ride Medusa shortly after opening, I would advise waiting until this time.

If you want to try the water rides, wait until late-afternoon because it starts getting colder and people don't want to ride them. The lines will be really short, but the water won't feel as nice as it would arounnd 1:00 pm when lines are longest. Your call.

Or just buy a gold Flash Pass and ride whatever you want, whenever you want, and get reserved seating for the shows as well. Flash Pass is a bargain if you think of it in terms of you time being worth something to you. If your time isn't valuable to you, then by all means stand in line.

Keep in mind, though, that the first few weeks in summer can be VERY crowded. I went the Tuesday after the local schools got out of last year, and I waited 2 hours for Medusa, 1 hour for V2, and 45 minutes for Sky Screamer. The wait for Kong was also around 90-120 minutes, but I passed on that. Surprisingly, the waits for Roar and the (now gone) Pandemonium were only 30 minutes.

However, you could just as easily arrive only to see 30 minute waits. I would advise not buying a Flashpass until arrival, as crowds at SFDK can be fairly unpredictable.

Considering that August is going to be totally different than this weekend but I went on an August last year on a Saturday (With TPR) and the park definitely did start picking up a bit crowd-wise. Granted we had our morning ERT over at the Roar/V2 plaza, when the park 'opened' we headed straight to Medusa to get her knocked out. When we got there we already had about 15 minutes of waiting. Kong may have been 20 minutes. After that we headed toward Boomerang and the backside of the park where it was dead and Boomerang was a walk-on.

Later in the day before and after lunch, Roar had about 30 minutes, I didn't even dare queue up for Pandemonium. V2 had a wait of probably 20 minutes, I rode that coaster quite a few times throughout the day. Over to Medusa's side, all of the switchbacks were being used down below. This may have been another 30 minute wait...however they were decently running 3 trains without too much lollygagging. There was always 1 train out running the course while one was in the brake run and one was unloading/loading. I didn't dare to wait for Kong as the line started at the ride's entrance (where the path leading to Kong's entrance and exit end). Back side of the park was still pretty chill with no riders on Voodoo and several families back at Tava's Jungle area.

Since I'm not an SFDK regular like I am a CGA regular, I don't really have too many tips other than just pick a plaza to start with. V2's line (to me) always seemed to move pretty swift despite being a shuttle coaster and B&Ms are people eaters, depending on the ride crew during that shift. I don't know if I'd go all out with Flash Pass if you don't mind the waits throughout the day (and get to the park before they open so you can jam right to one of the plazas)

I used to go to Pandemonium first, but now that it's no longer there, I go to Medusa first. Though, Roar & Kong have pretty much a very long line throughout the whole day. Since, the coaster collection isn't massive in SFDK, I always have to wait in the line. Also, if you're thinking of going on White Water Safari, it's good to go there a bit early since the line gets long in the summer. Usually, Sky Screamer has a shorter line than Medusa & Kong, and now that it isn't the new ride anymore, the lines aren't that long. V2 is literally a walk on most of the time.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining but when I was at the park the last couple days and took a close look at the ride I noticed something. I thought both twisting drops were suppose to be 90* vertical. From the side at least they don't seem completely vertical to me. Was it not advertised as vertical from the beginning?

^^^

We weren't taken into the queue or station, the park wants to keep some thematic elements as a surprise for opening day.

I like the sound of this!

Superman Ultimate Flight officially opens to the public on Saturday June 22nd at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. Media and Season Pass Previews will take place on Friday June 21st.

Don't you mean Saturday the 23rd and Friday the 22nd?

^^^
Superman Ultimate Flight officially opens to the public on Saturday June 22nd at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. Media and Season Pass Previews will take place on Friday June 21st.

Don't you mean Saturday the 23rd and Friday the 22nd?

Haha... dammit. That is now fixed. I was thinking the old dates.

Facebook GP posts about this ride...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=9784573&l=f572f879a7&id=61485546136

I like that they're advertising it and it's not even finished. Kind of a let down.

that's how they market a ride. They have to advertise it before its ready.

...DUH!

I love how Premier managed to engineer the barrel roll so that there are no supports under it! Certainly great for the ride's excitement factor!

AGREE!

Superman looks intense and I'm eager to try it, but come on! The back and forth through the station beginning of the ride is nearly the same experience as V2, a ride maybe 100 feet distant. Ripping out a popular family ride for a capacity nightmare that duplicates an attraction already in the inventory makes no sense.

Then again, this is Six Flags. And they aren't alone. Witness Dorney Park, Cedar Fair's trash dump.

Superman looks intense and I'm eager to try it, but come on! The back and forth through the station beginning of the ride is nearly the same experience as V2, a ride maybe 100 feet distant. Ripping out a popular family ride for a capacity nightmare that duplicates an attraction already in the inventory makes no sense.

Then again, this is Six Flags. And they aren't alone. Witness Dorney Park, Cedar Fair's trash dump.

Well, SFDK needed a new major coaster as V2 & Medusa are over 10 years old and Pandemonium was a very good location. Of course, Six Flags likes to take out family rides, but Superman will draw a much larger crowd than Pandemonium. It seems Pandemonium was more built to fill Zonga's space for a few years. The back & forth at the beginning is because there isn't enough space for a longer launch without going back and forth. V2 & Superman are very different coasters.

Anyone else think this thing is gonna deliver one of the most insane ride experiences ever? I mean, the Skyloop coasters Maurer makes are pretty similar, but not many of them even come close to being as intense looking as this thing is shaping up to be.

It's funny how last night I had a dream that when Superman opened, everyone on TPR complained about how forceless it was. Anyways, I think Superman will be a very intense coaster as those "spirals" probably has very high G-forces at the bottom and non-inverting loops are known to be intense, like on HRRR.

It's funny how last night I had a dream that when Superman opened, everyone on TPR complained about how forceless it was. Anyways, I think Superman will be a very intense coaster as those "spirals" probably has very high G-forces at the bottom and non-inverting loops are known to be intense, like on HRRR.

Also I remember hearing on reviews of Skyrocket at Kennywood that you get negative Gs in the corkscrew/zero-G. Looking that train, it looks like the heatline is pretty high as opposed to premiers former trains. If you look at the vertical twist, they don't look to be designed around the heartline like V2s. The track doesnt look to curve around the heartline on superman. Thus I am wondering when hitting full speed if you will get flung out of your seats when twisting... it could be a suprising feature of the ride. Also looks like the in-line twist at the top will offer some OMFG hang time.