TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I remember reading something about them having an arrangement for a parking garage as well. However, we need to remember that the height restriction where the parking lot area is now is much lower than the height restriction towards the front of the park. This would possibly impact some of these proposed rides, and limit the area where they could be placed. That said, I do agree that they have room to add pretty much all of the proposed attractions that I have heard about, although I do wonder about the exact placement for a couple of them. I just hope this is something they want to add for 2015, and not any later than that.

I remember reading something about them having an arrangement for a parking garage as well. However, we need to remember that the height restriction where the parking lot area is now is much lower than the height restriction towards the front of the park. This would possibly impact some of these proposed rides, and limit the area where they could be placed. That said, I do agree that they have room to add pretty much all of the proposed attractions that I have heard about, although I do wonder about the exact placement for a couple of them. I just hope this is something they want to add for 2015, and not any later than that.

So parking may have something to do with this...... hmmmm

A couple interesting thing I noticed out at Fright Fest tonight:

Bought my 2014 card and did the gold membership this time, found out if you buy a membership (as opposed to a season pass) they give you a brand new 2013 coupon book and a use-anytime bring-a-friend coupon that work between now and january, and then you still get your 2014 stuff when it's ready. They said in 2014 the coupons are going to be digital..supposedly you will log onto somewhere on sixflags.com to view and print your coupons.

Finally got my SkyScreamer ride..backwards! Have they run it backwards during Fright Fest before? Ive never gotten a chance to ride it before so I never noticed..the park sure wasn't doing anything to promote it. We didn't do any of the mazes but one of them seemed to actually be inside of the Shark Experience..anyone done this? How is it?

Rode Voodoo for the first time tonight as well and was very underwhelmed. About 2 or 3 flips in the first 15 seconds and the rest was just upright and boring. Could have been so much better. SkyScreamer was more exciting.

Park was very very busy (We parked way out in G lot!) but with all the mazes eating up the crowds most of the coaster lines werent too out of hand and the flat ride lines were mostly nonexistent. Early in the day most of the coasters had over an hour wait but by the last couple hours all but Medusa had waned down to 30-40 mins. Roar was running one train most of the day causing the line to spill way out into the walkway, then at about 9pm they added a second train and the line dissipated into nothing. Guess they wanted to go home on time

I definitely didn't hear that Sky Skreamer was running backwards this year. It definitely didn't do that in years past at Fright Fest.

I'll be heading to the park with my son tomorrow for our yearly Fright Fest trip - anyone else going to be there at all?

^I'll be there!

We're still looking for people to go in with us for '14 Gold Passes, good for the rest of this year and year-round next year! $60 a person when you buy 4 or more. If you're interested, message me before 3pm. Unfortunately, I have work until 2 and I'm estimating that we won't make it to the park until around 4pm. Please let me know!! This is the 2nd to last weekend for this deal!

They have room. If they want something to happen, they'll find room or they wouldn't propose it in the first place. Could you imagine? "Okay, we have this great new coaster all planned out, we're ready to start construction... oh dammit, I forgot that we don't have room. Oh well, let's just get a few more kiddie flats and call it a day."

Plus, I saw something about them having an arrangement with the city to get a parking garage, and if that happens, it would probably free up space from the parking lot.

For a coaster sure, they have room. But the two possible new additions that my survey proposed-- neither one of them were a coaster.

^I'll be there!

We're still looking for people to go in with us for '14 Gold Passes, good for the rest of this year and year-round next year! $60 a person when you buy 4 or more. If you're interested, message me before 3pm. Unfortunately, I have work until 2 and I'm estimating that we won't make it to the park until around 4pm. Please let me know!! This is the 2nd to last weekend for this deal!

Sorry, I don't often get on the computer on the weekend. I've actually got the "membership" going, which gives me admission basically until I stop paying on a monthly basis. We actually only stayed for a few hours on Saturday (left around 6:30) as the crowds were absolutely nuts. In 4.5 hours, we only got one ride on Medusa and one on Kong. My son (he's only 9) wasn't enjoying the crowds so we just went home and went to a corn maze nearby our house that lets you walk through it at night instead.

Did you end up going? Did the crowds thin out later in the night? As we were leaving, there were still a TON of cars parking in the fairgrounds across the street and a lot of people still entering the park.

I've had to park in the fairgrounds lot myself a few times, but it was on busy summer days (4th of July, Fathers Day) and so both White Water Safari and Monsoon Falls were the attractions with the longest waits. With those two out of commission on Saturday, the wait for other rides was unbearable.

Also of note, there was some sort of Kiwanis Youth Group "Key Club" event going on. Hundreds, if not thousands of high school age kids there. I'm sure that didn't help things at all either, especially considering SFDK typically seems to have mostly families there, most of which don't go on the more extreme rides. In all my years of having a season pass, I'd never waited more than 20 minutes for Medusa. It was over an hour and a half on Saturday.

I was considering going with a friend on Saturday. I realize it's the last weekend of Fright Fest, so the crowds are likely going to be higher than average. What I was wondering then is how crowded is it likely going to be and would it be better to just wait until next month and go on a day the park is open for seven hours? I'd want to get done as many of the rides as possible. Thanks.

I was considering going with a friend on Saturday. I realize it's the last weekend of Fright Fest, so the crowds are likely going to be higher than average. What I was wondering then is how crowded is it likely going to be and would it be better to just wait until next month and go on a day the park is open for seven hours? I'd want to get done as many of the rides as possible. Thanks.

If youre not going for fright fest then definitely wait for the week after. This Saturday is going to be very busy, probably overflow parking busy.

This is from last Saturday, and I just haven't had the time to finish it until now. I'll be back on Saturday for JoshuaFest to see Project 86 live but we may not do Fright Fest again.

The park was PACKED on Saturday. I think it was Key Club Day, whatever that means, but I haven't seen the park that busy in a long time. The overflow lot was full and they opened another overflow lot to the left that I've never parked at even on the busiest day. The crowds only seemed to thin out at like 11. Also, we all drank the taps DRY at SFDK. Like literally, we got beer at maybe 8 and then an hour or so later, there was nothing left except Coors Light, Bud Light, and Heineken. Later, I think even those were gone. The beer line was also one of the longer lines we waited in, even longer than some of the mazes! We think next year they should sell a VIP pass for the beer line

We didn't ride any coasters because the lines were so unbelievably long! We almost rode Kong after having a few beers though...but didn't feel like paying $1 for a locker just to ride Kong buzzed. After waiting in a super long line to get our FFest wristbands, and then waiting in a molasses-slow line for Arsenic and Arania, we went back to get VIP. However, after waiting in more lines for food and beer, the VIP lines had gotten just about as long as the regular lines, so it didn't help us out too much. Oh well.

Scare zones:

I was REALLY pleased with how there were FOUR scare zones this year, and each of them were really good and always had a lot of scare actors around! I really felt that SFDK amped it up this year, and the crowds loved it! I can't pick a favorite this year, all of them were good. I was glad they added more walls into Circus Berserkus and it definitely made that scare zone a LOT better.

Mazes:

Slaughter Pig Farms: I was a little disappointed this year, there wasn't the level of talent they had last year, and some of my favorite portions from last year were not being used when I went through (like the girl on the stretcher).

Scrapyard of the Dead: this one still sucks, I think they need to just get rid of it. They can do better and use that same area for something new.

Arsenic and Arania: A-MAZE-ing! They added some more animatronics and some great talent and more props and scenes... it was REALLY scary the first time we went through and probably my favorite from this year!

Shipwreck of Horror: better from last year, I thought. My friend got scared and ran into a wall. It was great. Also, I was glad to see the old shark statue thing being used in this.

Massacre Mine: It seemed a little better, still not the highlight but not the worst, we had fun in it.

Total Darkness: I didn't know what to expect, but I think they really did well on this! I think it could be a tad darker, but I liked that there were no props, and just dark hallways with trap doors and you never know when someone might pop out at you. There was this one guy in the PERFECT middle part of the hallway in the dark that scared us really bad both times. It was like nothing... and them BAM. Dude in your face. And then he seemed to disappear again...and then BAM! If they dimmed the walkway lights a little more, I think this maze could be perfect.

Shows:

We saw The Awakening, Danse Macabre, and the end of night show. The Awakening was AMAZING! They used some great songs ("Monster" by Skillet, "Sweet Dreams" by Manson, and "My Songs Know What You Did in The Dark" by Fall Out Boy). I just really like how they did this. They sent scare actors in hooded coats to gather around the fountain, and then at a certain point, those guys turned around and started scaring people at the same time scareactors infiltrated the crowd. They also had a flamethrower in the fountain and it went off at the PERFECT time and scared everyone. Throughout the night, it would fire up and scare people. It really was amazing. The other shows were good too, but this one just blew me away as the perfect intro show to get people pumped for Fright Fest.

If this is what they did this year, I can't wait to see what they do next year as they're planning to up Fright Fest even MORE!

IMG_4082.JPG.d78597e51b79556b210db34830ee5cd1.JPG

The new Six Flags beast! I kept missing it when it was actually moving.

IMG_4085.JPG.ede60d18c87ad35f5a750d7d63057418.JPG

Hillary was afraid of the clowns and not sure if she wanted to do that scare zone...and then as we're heading down the path, there come ALL the clowns heading to Circus Berserkus.

IMG_4086.thumb.JPG.c0093fe8ccdb542a0447c41ea285d077.JPG

The spider has us in it's clutches!! Well... sorta

IMG_4088.JPG.feb51cab1d2eeed0fd5bdb97647df91b.JPG

Hillary's been with this guy for AGES!

IMG_4089.JPG.2149fb39c4ac568536ab55ec983a02f3.JPG

Rotting corpse of the cemetery be creepin'

IMG_4091.JPG.f7cef01327d3d6a50db1ec3521350d79.JPG

I take it their wedding didn't go so well

IMG_4092.JPG.e9c094cfc5f2e61eb07fa1f74f82c582.JPG

This guy was reputed to have drank ALL the liquor at SFDK. This is why you cannot find liquor at SFDK.

IMG_4100.JPG.ff51533b142b1dde8d5e9715ceee3be7.JPG

This guy's breath was KILLER.

Sorry for the double post but this is somewhat unrelated to the last...

These are two of the bands going to be there on Saturday. Tickets are $15 at the park if you have a season pass or $35 including admission if you buy it tonight.

This is the headliner, The City Harmonic:

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

They're a little too harmonic for me. This is the band I'm excited for, Project 86:

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

There's definitely going to be some headbanging at SFDK this Saturday, and not just from Kong

Wow..congratulations on surviving Key Club Day. That is always the busiest day of the entire year. Can't even imagine what the coaster lines were like. If I drove in and saw the fairgrounds were full and they were using a second overflow lot I'd just turn around and leave..and I live an hour away!

Edited by singemfrc

The park was PACKED on Saturday. I think it was Key Club Day, whatever that means, but I haven't seen the park that busy in a long time. The overflow lot was full and they opened another overflow lot to the left that I've never parked at even on the busiest day. The crowds only seemed to thin out at like 11. Also, we all drank the taps DRY at SFDK. Like literally, we got beer at maybe 8 and then an hour or so later, there was nothing left except Coors Light, Bud Light, and Heineken. Later, I think even those were gone. The beer line was also one of the longer lines we waited in, even longer than some of the mazes! We think next year they should sell a VIP pass for the beer line

We didn't ride any coasters because the lines were so unbelievably long!

Yeah, the crowd sure was ridiculous Saturday wasn't it? I too had never seen it anywhere near that bad. The line for coasters was absolutely ridiculous, by far the worst I'd ever seen at SFDK. Glad that I hadn't purchased the maze tickets ahead of time if they were as bad as you say. Kinda bummed, as I was looking forward to the mazes, but there's always next year I guess.....

I didn't really have a choice, my friend and I had been trying to get to SFDK for weeks for FFest and that day was the only day I had work off and we were both free. It was definitely insanely busy but we managed to do all the mazes at least once and a few of them twice, so I'd say we got our money's worth.

I was there on Saturday for the concert and had a great time with that but didn't do too much else. There were still a LOT of Fright Fest goers and the maze lines looked pretty long... so I think it's safe to say Fright Fest was pretty popular this year and I think SFDK has already confirmed they'll increase it next year, so it should become even more popular!

anyone else hear about this? Theme Park Overload posted it over the weekend. I didn't see anything about it in the Bay Area news at all (report is from a Sacramento area station.)

http://www.news10.net/news/local/article/262303/2/Sea-lion-bites-trainer-at-Six-Flags-Discovery-Kingdom

Yes, and I think that the news is stupid to even cover this..they said the treatment was a shot, a band-aid, and neosporin..sounds slightly more serious than a cat scratch.

Agreed that it really wasn't a big deal at all. With any sort of wild animal, the occasional bite/scratch is bound to happen. I'm actually impressed that it wasn't made out to be a bigger story, as I expected to see it all over the news once I first heard about it.

anyone else hear about this? Theme Park Overload posted it over the weekend. I didn't see anything about it in the Bay Area news at all (report is from a Sacramento area station.)

http://www.news10.net/news/local/article/262303/2/Sea-lion-bites-trainer-at-Six-Flags-Discovery-Kingdom

Yes, and I think that the news is stupid to even cover this..they said the treatment was a shot, a band-aid, and neosporin..sounds slightly more serious than a cat scratch.

This is news? Er, if you work with wild animals for a living, you're going to be bitten or scratched from time to time. It's an occupational hazard.

Edited by cfc