TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

^Yeah I'm not sure about that. I was able to get it buckled without any help and I'm certainly not a small guy! But if more people can ride, that is definitely a good thing.

Seriously. I'm between 6'2" and 6'3", at my heaviest (230lbs) I could get stapled in, but it took 2 people to do it. I think "average" isn't the best way to describe it. Shoot, I still have problems at 190lbs with OTS restraints due to my shoulders and chest!

No this is definitely a good thing. There was no good reason to have the seatbelts as short as they were previously, especially as not all of them were the same length. Just making them (literally) a couple inches longer makes it easier for a much bigger group of guests without compromising safety, so it's great.

I'm 6 ft, 250 lbs, and carry most of that weight in my gut. I've also got only a 31 inch inseam (pretty short for a guy my height), which equals a larger than normal torso, and I've never had any issues with V2. Maybe I just got lucky with what seats I got?

I'm 6 ft, 250 lbs, and carry most of that weight in my gut. I've also got only a 31 inch inseam (pretty short for a guy my height), which equals a larger than normal torso, and I've never had any issues with V2. Maybe I just got lucky with what seats I got?
Its not the gut, its the size of your thighs, because of the shape and direction of the OTSRs its where they come down vertically not horizontally, but yeah previously the belts were not all the same size, some were easier than others.

Late post, but I was at the park this past sunday with Rawkin_Coaster38. Everything was mostly a walk-on except Superman and Roar. I really don't like the new seatbelts on Superman as it really slows down the operations, when we rode they had to re-open restraints twice on us. It was annoying none the less, but moving on. We also decided to check out the Walrus exhibit and for once they were actually doing something other than sleeping. It was funny to see the walrus up against the glass getting the attention of all the kids. You could hear him grinding his teeth and clapping his fins together, it was just astounding to see this much activity. Rumor also has it that they may be getting a baby Walrus sometime next year as they want them to breed. We rode Medusa three times as there was no wait and I made the mistake of riding Kong in the freezing cold that night, felt like my nose was going to fall off.

Best part of the night for us was when we were on our way out, we overheard people talking about SFOG. I had to chime in on this asap, I started by saying Over Georgia? and they were like yeah we live three hours from there and we're going to SFMM tomorrow. So we had to give them tips on what to do and where to go, I told them to immediately go to Full Throttle and towards the back of the park as it would be dead for an hour at least. They were also going to be there for 2 days and asked if that would be enough time to get everything. We said, that would be plenty of time.

Long story short, we had a great time at Holiday in the Park and can't wait to go back (possibly) for their new years party.

I've always kind of been an above average guy when it comes to body size, and I have never had an issue with V2. In fact, when I was in my very average stage, I could sometimes get my belt in the smaller belt buckle. But at the same time, when I worked there, I was rarely faced with the issue of someone not fitting with the belt. In fact, I ran into the issue a lot more on Medusa. Maybe the bigger people just avoided V2... but it seems unlikely. I never felt V2 was unaccommodating...

SFDK really needs to take a look at their S:UF operation. I guess they had a knee-jerk reaction to people not listening about not putting the lap bar down, so now for every dispatch the operator asks everyone in line to raise their hand if they can hear, and makes them repeat back to him/her that they wont pull the lap bar down and says you'll be ejected if you do..sounds good in spirit, but you could recheck the train twice in the amount of time it takes them to shame everyone. Would be much more efficient if they had the sorting operator remind guests as they were coming into the station.

Saw one other thing today I didn't like. Waiting for Medusa the kids in the train in front of me all had their phones out (clearly to film a bad pov) and the dispatching operator saw that and actually talked to them about it saying things like "Are you sure you trust your hand? Don't drop it! Have fun!" and dispatched the train with all four kids filming on their phone. I don't personally care if they lose their phone but I'd hate for them to lose a grip on it and have it hit and injure someone else standing below the ride.

When I was there 2 weeks ago, the ops at S:UF simply repeated to everyone to put their seatbelt on, and that the restraint would then be lowered for them. No shaming, no threats of falling out. My guess is you just got an op that thought it would be funny to say that.

SFDK really needs to take a look at their S:UF operation. I guess they had a knee-jerk reaction to people not listening about not putting the lap bar down, so now for every dispatch the operator asks everyone in line to raise their hand if they can hear, and makes them repeat back to him/her that they wont pull the lap bar down and says you'll be ejected if you do..sounds good in spirit, but you could recheck the train twice in the amount of time it takes them to shame everyone.

Sounds like a frustrated ride op decided to take it out on guests. Capacity on Superman is hardly stellar in the first place, and when you have to unlock and re-check almost every train because somebody forgot their seatbelt that would be a huge pain in the ass. But I still don't think that's justification for being a condescending douchebag!

I would've thought that too, but I know they were doing it all day today and I was talking to other people that have gone in the last couple of weeks and they've said the same thing that they're doing this every time now. My guess knowing that is that someone in management probably saw how much longer dispatches were taking when they had to recheck the trains and instructed all of the operators to do all this spiel. I bet they scale it back some in a while when they see how much longer the dispatches are taking with all of this added in.

Saw one other thing today I didn't like. Waiting for Medusa the kids in the train in front of me all had their phones out (clearly to film a bad pov) and the dispatching operator saw that and actually talked to them about it saying things like "Are you sure you trust your hand? Don't drop it! Have fun!" and dispatched the train with all four kids filming on their phone. I don't personally care if they lose their phone but I'd hate for them to lose a grip on it and have it hit and injure someone else standing below the ride.

On Sunday, just before closing time, someone in the front seat of Medusa had a very large camera ready to film just as dispatch was starting. The ride op noticed and told the guy over the PA that he couldn't ride with it. The rider, of course, argued that he had a steady grip. The ride op eventually brought the floor back up and opened the harnesses to get the guy out of his seat.

Unfortunately, this caused Medusa to shut down and all of the riders had to leave the train. Some went back in the queue, others went out the exit. There was the customary "we don't know how long Medusa will be down" spiel. Maintenance came a few minutes later and rebooted Medusa, cycling an empty train before riders could ride again. From a selfish perspective, the delay lowered my ride count potential by one, since I was hoping to get another ride before closing. At least my final ride was a front seat night ride, very nice. I'm glad the Medusa crew noticed the large camera and kicked the guy off the ride.

All parks that ban cameras from their rides should follow Kings Island's lead. Their plexiglass box in the Diamondback queue full of busted cell phones that fell from the ride should persuade those in love with their nano-computers that holding them out on a roller coaster is a bad idea. (At least the guy who wanted to film Medusa on Sunday had a hand strap on his expensive camera.) Parks could also have high quality videos on their sites with a subtle message that a professionally recorded video is going to be much better than their shaky cell phone recording. Cedar Point has videos of all of their big coasters on line, perhaps some other parks do this too.

All parks that ban cameras from their rides should follow Kings Island's lead. Their plexiglass box in the Diamondback queue full of busted cell phones that fell from the ride should persuade those in love with their nano-computers that holding them out on a roller coaster is a bad idea. (At least the guy who wanted to film Medusa on Sunday had a hand strap on his expensive camera.) Parks could also have high quality videos on their sites with a subtle message that a professionally recorded video is going to be much better than their shaky cell phone recording. Cedar Point has videos of all of their big coasters on line, perhaps some other parks do this too.

I like the first idea, it was kind of amusing to see that in Diamondback's queue.

As for parks putting up quality POVs - there are already plenty out there for most "major" rides. People will keep trying to take cameras on anyway because they are morons (it's the same reason most concerts these days involve a sea of iPhones filming a terrible bootleg nobody will ever watch).

It really annoys me to see when people take cameras/phones out on rides even after being told by the ride ops to put the item away. Most of the time, the person puts the phone in their pocket then as soon as the train is dispatched and out of the station they take the phone back out. I've never seen anyone thrown out of a park for it either like the signs in the queues say will happen if someone is caught with a camera out during a ride.

Incidentally after Superman obviously got seat belts and noticing that V2 had it's seat belts replaced, I noticed yesterday that Kong also had brand new seat belts (to replace the existing ones, not in a new place). Looks like while the park was buying seat belts for S:UF they went ahead and got a volume discount

Incidentally after Superman obviously got seat belts and noticing that V2 had it's seat belts replaced, I noticed yesterday that Kong also had brand new seat belts (to replace the existing ones, not in a new place). Looks like while the park was buying seat belts for S:UF they went ahead and got a volume discount

Different colors or new color?