TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Same annoying people that are on all the coaster shows. Why is it always the same people? And one of them says V2 has LIMs, then he says they are LSMs (not the same thing), ok which one? Also noticed V2 used to have wheel covers, never saw them before. When did they get removed? Actually I like it better without them, the wheel assembly looks cool. I also saw Invertigo in there too.

Yeah, the V2 wheel covers where removed after 2001. They were a bad design, the wheels rubbed on them and tore up the fiberglass, plus they rattled. They were in the backstage area for years, they were pretty ripped up on the inside. I think 2002 was the year all the impulses did away with the covers.

I guess they re-painted the rails, that was a bit odd to why the rails weren't painted yellow in the factory. I think it would be lucky if the park opens the ride by July 1st because they really aren't constructing the coaster that quickly.

I think it's a matter of personnel. One of the newsletters that SFA sent out talked about the construction of Apocalypse and interviewed a guy who had the title of something like "Lead Engineer for Six Flags." The article had talked about how he was headed to SFMM next. It almost implies that Six Flags has a core engineering staff that they have moved around to do the final work to open each of their new attractions this year. Further evidence that suggests this may be true is that none of the major attractions in the SF chain this year opened at the same time: X-Flight opened first, Goliath came on next, Apocalypse is next and the California parks are bringing up the rear. I guess the priority is to open the North East attractions sooner because their season is shorter (get the most operating days in 2012 possible). Just a thought, not sure how true it may be...

I guess they re-painted the rails, that was a bit odd to why the rails weren't painted yellow in the factory. I think it would be lucky if the park opens the ride by July 1st because they really aren't constructing the coaster that quickly.

It seems like there were definitely some setbacks early on, but they are flying with putting steel up lately. They put the entire first tower up in a few days and the opposite one is now starting to rise quickly too.

In DK's defense, they were pretty focused on the station and electrical for a while there and really just recently restarted with the vertical construction full force. Hopefully that bodes well for the ride when the track work is done, maybe the test/adjust will start right away.

I think that SFMM and SFDK are having an unspoken battle to see who could build their attractions the slowest.

I like the progress pics! I'm not too worried about the slow construction... just increases the suspense. But I could understand why some of you would be frustrated if you have a slowly-closing narrow window of opportunity to ride it this year.

Loved that V2 video! This just further confirms that V2 is better now than pre-modifications. The holding brake didn't hold very long either... for some reason I pictured it holding suspenseful for several seconds... I guess not. I really do think V2.5 is the unsung hero of SFDK... it really adds a "completeness" to the park.

Did anyone notice the video bragging about the 185 ft. back spike? I still don't know how SFMW thought they could hide this from the county, especially if they were bragging about it!

^And also, you will not fall out. You just wont. The only extremely rare incidents where someone has ever fallen out of a coaster have been due to the person having some sort of disability which shouldn't have ridden the coaster in the first place, or its the own persons fault for not following the rules and procedures. As Elissa said, you'll be fine.

I'm actually pretty scare about superman. I felt like I almost fell out of Goliath (SFMM) after the brake run on that slow left banked hill. If superman had restraints like Goliath at it does that twist slowly I think I'm done for.

Assuming the restraints are the same as the ones used on other Premier coasters, the lapbars are much more snug than the ones on Goliath (which often feel loose to me, but definitely not enough to be unsafe). The lap part of it is much larger and can be clicked down uncomfortably tight if desired, and there is an additional ankle bar to lock your legs into place. I didn't once feel loose on Flight of Fear, Mr. Freeze (which has a bit of hang time in the center of the train), or the roller coaster at NYNY in Las Vegas (which has the same type of lapbars and even more hang time), so I doubt this will be a problem.

You might be nervous, but if the ride was at all dangerous the park wouldn't let paying customers anywhere near it.

Did anyone notice the video bragging about the 185 ft. back spike? I still don't know how SFMW thought they could hide this from the county, especially if they were bragging about it!

The city knew the ride's height from the get go. The story I've always heard was that it was built tall off of a technicality that was later proven not to apply so they had to modify. The reason they promoted it as 150ft was more for the neighbors to avoid complaints, not to hide from the city. People caught on that it was 186ft almost immediately.