TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cold Weather at Amusement Parks

I was just reading the thread "How do you do deal with the heat at amusement parks?", and it got me thinking about the other end of the spectrum, especially since the weather is starting to turn cooler around this time of year. I was just wondering how everyone else deals with it? Being from Minnesota, I'm used to the cold, but I'll still dress properly for the weather. If it's 50-65 degrees, I'll usually just wear a light jacket and jeans. If it is below 50, I'll add an extra layer and a winter hat because when it is below 50 degrees and the wind is rushing past you on a coaster, it can get mighty cold. I also drink a good amount of water because even though it isn't blazing hot, coaster riding is still a physical activity that can dehydrate you after a while. Also, I tend to not put my hands up as much when it's cold because my hands will feel frozen when the train hits the brake run, and I wouldn't want to use gloves because I don't want to risk losing them. I usually take more frequent breaks between rides because coaster riding in the cold can really leave me winded. If you live in Florida, SoCal, or somewhere else where it's usually warm, this thread probably doesn't apply to you, but as for everyone else, how do you handle the cold weather while at the parks?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it is really cold out, like 40 degrees or below (last year Friday night of closing weekend at Great Adventure was in the mid 30s), I wore jeans, a t-shirt with a sweatshirt over the t-shirt and a jacket plus gloves and a hat. It was still a little cold but tolerable.

As much as I hate the cold weather I can tolerate it at amusement parks (go firgure, lol). I think its a different experience when riding rides which makes it better. First year of Christmas Town at BGW, I rode Griffon plenty of times when the temp was low, wearing long sleeves and with a think layered hoodie over. Now a days when I visit amusement parks in low temps I tend to wear my North Face jacket which I find perfect to wear in these conditions. It's light but it's enough to keep you VERY warm. And the zip-up pockets are a bonus, not having to worry about loose articles.

I must say... I HATE the cold. I HATE HATE HATE it!!! However, if I am going to a theme park, and its going to be cold outside there are several things I will do.

I will dress in layers. I make sure my over jacket has zipper pockets. In those pockets I will keep my gloves. I wear two layers of socks, and I keep the hand warmers in my pockets for use when I get super cold.

I am glad you brought up this topic! 1.) It is getting me excited for cold weather at the parks! 2.) Reminded me I need to go get hand warmers!

Being in SoCal, snow and low temps are like bedtime stories we tell our kids.

But in all seriousness, I hate it when winter hits. Because when it gets cold everywhere else, that's when all the snowbirds and other tourists flood California, and in particular, the parks. I've been at Disneyland, Knott's and Legoland at their worst in the cold, and it gets horrid. Knott's at least has some elbow room, but the other two turn into Comic-Con levels of crowded. All the benches get taken up, lines stretch into hours long for everything, and food, bathrooms and guest services take a nose-dive. I'm used to being stuck in long waits for rides, but

On the other hand, when we get actual cold weather (like precipitation or a cold fog), the parks are abandoned (or at least emptier). Rainy days at Disneyland are a god-send because the locals and hardcore fans go, and most (if not all) of the smelly tourists stay away, since rain is apparently the second coming of the plague. Lines are cut in half, staff relax and get friendly, and I don't have to deal with some Chinese touring group clogging up the walkways as I motor around from ride to ride. All I need is a jacket and a hat/umbrella and I'm good to go!

Plus, it's nice when body heat actually helps more than it hinders.

Rainy days at Disneyland are a god-send because the locals and hardcore fans go, and most (if not all) of the smelly tourists stay away, since rain is apparently the second coming of the plague. Lines are cut in half, staff relax and get friendly
THIS! Seriously some of the best times I've had at DLR are on rainy days or even slight precipitation. Same to be said with USH, rain really keeps the tourists away from these parks. As for cold I don't mind, it's easier for me to tolerate and dress for, than the heat. Usually what can bother me is heat over 100, especially on some of those 105+ summer days at SFMM.

Another one I should add is that if the temperatures are going to be hovering within a few degrees of 40, I'll just not go to the park because 40 degrees is when the parks usually shut down the rides, and I don't want to waste my time or money going to the park if I can't ride the coasters.

I love going to Halloweekends when the temps are cooler.

I just dress in a t-shirt (with a hoodie over it), jeans, a winter hat and gloves if needed.

The only downfall to the cold temps are as mentioned - too cold and it shuts the rides down and that the coasters tend to run a little slower then when it is hot.

Living in FL (even northern FL), it's not that bad here. An occasional cold spell that lasts a week or so and then back to 70s and 80s. I have dealt with temps in the upper 40s/low 50s a few times while visiting BGT or SWO between Christmas & New Years. Basically you just have to dress appropriately for the temps and when riding coasters add on another layer that you can remove easily if necessary when not riding. Hoodies and tobbogans (skully...whatever you choose to call them) can be your best friend. I also have no issues wearing gloves on a coaster while holding my hands up. They just have to fit properly of course.

The coldest I've ever dealt with was at Dollywood this past March. The first day up there wasn't too bad (mid-upper 50's). The next day the park was closed (was a Tuesday...normal thing that time of year) and it snowed in Pigeon Forge and surrounding areas. The next day the sun was back out and it was well below freezing. The park opened but the coasters didn't start opening up until around noon when it got above 40. I was able to get the rest of my credits there, but man was that just cold beyond belief while riding. My partner planned the trip as a bday surprise for me. Had I been in on the planning I would have known better to go that early having grown up in Charlotte. I would have waited a few weeks at least or suggested something else altogether. It was still fun tho and I was able to get all the coasters and most other rides I wanted to ride.

Although its not a full blown Amusement Park in the traditional sense, I went to ride Manhattan Express (aka "The Roller Coaster") at the New York New York in January and was met with a sign that said it was too cold to operate the ride and that they would open the ride when and if the temperature rose to 34 degrees Farenheit. When it just barely got to 34 I got on and rode it and found out the hard way that there was a very good reason for that rule. Opening your mouth into the wind during the ride was actually pretty painful, it chilled your teeth immediately.

On the bright side it completely made you forget about the other pain on the ride, and the warm clothing acted as padding

894795604_b121nynycoasterbryanedofficial.thumb.jpg.11107181ecb95172b2249fa1d5cea79d.jpg

Front row - faces tell the story!

• 1 month later...

By living in Florida But really, the only time I have ever gone to BGT when it was really cold was this year on New Years. It was 50° and sprinkling all day, though never enough to shut anything down. It was pretty cold being damp and going on a ride, but just closing up the drawstring on my jacket was enough to make it bearable. Plus the fact there was only 200-300 people in the whole park meant there was no lines for anything.

I just deal with the cold. It's my preferred weather. I remember being at Hersheypark one October and it was snowing (everything was open, too!) However, I do have a few fun stories about cold weather trips to Florida.

I remember being at Universal in January 2012, and it was 21 degrees outside. By the time the park opened, it was in the high 30's or so. Thankfully, it did warm up enough to open pretty much everything but H:RRR. My mom and I rode Jurassic Park when it was 42 degrees outside. No shame.

This year, I went to WDW in January and the weather was pleasant....except for one day. It wasn't exceptionally cold like my last visit, but it was 45 degrees and wet. It was my Animal Kingdom day, and it was very disappointing. Luckily, the Magic Kingdom was dead and I got TONS of rides in.