TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Olympia Looping in England???

Every year we get those rumors, all he said were the plans for 2015(3 fairs) and nothing is set for 2016 yet. As long as the ride makes money(which it is), it will run the fairs....

Do you interpret this as 3 fairs for 2015? "In the coming year, he wants to visit Düsseldorf's Rheinkirmes and the Volksfest in Herne-Crange, before the Oktoberfest. What comes next, is still written in the stars."

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, i can't take any chances. I have always wanted to go ride it and would regret missing it. (thanks tpr for letting me know in time)

i am going to oktoberfest sept 26-28 Mostly for Olympia Looping. I will probably stay for a few beers too while i am there.

Anybody else that crazy that wants to meet up?

Does anybody that has ridden the coaster have a seating preference? front/middle/ back?

(I will probably ride it many times since that is the main reason for the trip)

I own a microbrewery, so i am going to also brew a tribute beer for the coaster as well.

What are the Oktoberfest fair grounds used for the rest of the year?

Hardly anything.

Most of the time the Theresienwiese is used, is the time for buildup and teardown and the 2 weeks of the Oktoberfest.

Then there is a small version of Oktoberfest in the spring, a winter festival "Tollwood" and a flee market.

Currently there is some discussion about an arabian festival, but the city is very reluctant to the idea of camel races.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=de&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.sueddeutsche.de/muenchen/geplantes-orientfestival-ob-reiter-lehnt-kamelrennen-auf-der-theresienwiese-ab-1.2071833

(Although that would have some historical background, since the Theresienwiese and Oktoberfest originated from a wedding and a horse race)

Well, i can't take any chances. I have always wanted to go ride it and would regret missing it. (thanks tpr for letting me know in time)

i am going to oktoberfest sept 26-28 Mostly for Olympia Looping. I will probably stay for a few beers too while i am there.

Totally smart idea. On one hand, if the ride goes away, you got out and rode it in the setting in which it's known for, and you can't complain at all if it gets removed. On the other hand, if it doesn't get removed or goes away, you got to go to Okoberfest which is a totally awesome time!

Sounds like a win-win to me!

• 2 months later...

so, a little belated trip report here.

After hearing here that Olympia Looping might be retiring soon, i didn't want to take any chances. I booked a 4 day trip to Munich and went to Oktoberfest. (the irony being that i am a professional brewer and my first trip to Oktoberest was for a rollercoaster!) It turns out some of my work colleagues were going as well, so we met up and i made them all ride! If i had spent all of the money just to fly in, ride the coaster and fly out it would have been worth every penny.

Spoiler alert, i am a fan of old Schwarzkopf/ Stengel coasters. I have wanted to ride this coaster since i first heard about it and have spent countless hours reading about it on the internet, including watching TPR's youtube videos of it (the one where they have the cameras filming from inside the coaster was one of the best coaster videos i have seen period)

None of this could have prepared me for the experience.

Just seeing it as we approached down the midway was emotional. It is hard to explain, but having looked forward to something for many years, and finally seeing it up close literally brought to tears. (having 6 litres of beer after arriving off the plane that morning may have helped)

IMG_2179_3.jpg.cf34659c9c7fe62cdceab1837ca7ba80.jpg

6 litres of beer and an iphone don't make for sharp nighttime photography.

Standing at the foot of it was spectacular, especially at night with all of the lighting chasing over the loops. Even if one doesn't ride coasters, it is one awesome machine to see.

IMG_2209_2.jpg.43d335a84d6b778d52fc26cf27995f23.jpg

With my colleagues in dirndls and lederhosen, i am the canadian guy with the hat in the back.

IMG_2181_2.jpg.11ba38e0c0953f0475fd054d3f482dad.jpg

They have around 6 cashiers to collect your 8,50 euro fare. There are 5 trains, and at peak they can dispatch one every 30 seconds! Do the math and that is a lot of cash!

In the bahnhof, they had a ride op on every row of the train to quickly unload and help the new passengers in. These guys are here to run a coaster, not stack trains! it was impressive.

I got to know the ride ops and they all recognized me by the end. I rode at least 15 times over 3 days.

IMG_2182_2.jpg.36207911d9bb25d4def0a8faeebf994d.jpg

der bahnhof

IMG_2187_2.jpg.e91e2b297dcf4d7f2cf5824f8e922c73.jpg

As you go up the lift hill, you turn the corner and have a view of the whole coaster spread out before you. The tightly banked curves are impressive to look at. This is art. It is amazing how they were able to pack it all tightly in there and still have a fast but smooth ride.

IMG_2192_2.jpg.ec46ff233c2ae6fbc423527112912624.jpg

The loops themselves are awesome, the first black one is more of a space curve looking loop with just a 3 beam spline, whereas the other 4 are the classic schwarzkopf box support design.

IMG_2196_3.jpg.8eb5babcc56053439fb68a0870e3f090.jpg

IMG_2210_2.jpg.c2187fd6cff6662a5ce698fba465d1b0.jpg

Just look at the banking on those curves. When you reach them, you are really booking it, and it is really nice and forceful. My pulse quickens just to look at them again.

I had a chance to talk with some of the ride ops and they were pretty nice guys. They all come from Romania to work the coaster. It was fun to speak german to them which was neither of our first language, but a meet in the middle. What i heard was that the regulations for the weight of trucks on highways had changed, and many trailers were overweight. They have to get special permits just to move the coaster. They didn't know anything about the coaster retiring, but said that there would have to be work on the trailers in the future to meet regulations. They aren't owners, so the story is obviously more complicated than that, so who knows for the future.

That said, the coaster was riding really well. You would hardly know that it was a 25 year old machine that takes a lot of forces and high speeds, then gets disassembled and moved to another location. I don't know what it's future is but i'm sure it will show up somewhere again. If you ever get the chance to ride it, i would highly recommend it!

As a bonus, the beer was delicious too. prost!

IMG_2221_2.jpg.169c140a78ffdbdc6bb7022498952e56.jpg

Nina klepke would have loved this one!

^My prediction on what Mexican Schwarzkopf coaster is going, it would be Thriller/Texas Tornado/Zonga/Tsunami since that coaster was moved so many times that it is time for it to go!

No Schwarzkopf is going anywhere! I can't take it anymore! It's like cutting my heart when a Schwarzkopf is gone.

I didn't say that Thriller/Texas Tornado/Zonga/Tsunami is going to the scrapyard, there's a glimmer of hope that Gerstaluer would come in and fix up that old traveling coaster and give it a new home where it can thrill riders for years to come!

I know we as enthusiasts love Schwarzkopf rides, but outside of the European fair circuit, the reality is that it seems like their popularity is dwindling. It can't be a coincidence so many great rides end up in random foreign countries instead of major markets...

Just wondering does Gerstlauer handle spare parts and maintenance for Schwarzkopf coasters now? If someone wanted a Schwarkkopf model like a triple loop like Mindbender in Canada or a 5 looper could they actually make them?

A modern version of one of those rides would be awesome! I think the real question would be how much they would cost...there's so many more options out there for a park/showmen to chose from now.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to Screamscape, Olympia Looping will no longer be going to England.

UK - (10/12/16) Bad news for the UK... according to Screamscape sources the previously mentioned plan to bring Olympia Looping to the UK over the winter looks to have been scraped for unknown reasons. Any mention of it coming from removed from the coaster's website sometime last Friday.