TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is your Favorite Coaster Manufacturer?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron Toomer was such an awesome designer.

I don't think having alot of rides scrapped (Orient Express, Shockwave, Drachen fire) or reprofiled (Viper, Pepsi Max, ... Drachen fire) constitutes a top-notch designer at the helm. He never even rode his rides due to motion sickness! Ironic? You can only count the smooth rides on one hand! By smooth, I mean where a ride is more enjoyable than uncomfortable.

Schwarzkopf got the balance right; they did have their rough spots (Magnum Force and The Bullet kicked 7 bells of crap out of you!) but at the same time they were so intense and so fun, they literally took your breath away each time you rode.

Intamin are good at the intense thing... but the older BM coasters seem to just blow everything else away. Nemesis on a cold October evening WILL put you in hospital.

When I was younger I was all about B&M, but right now it's Intamin by a decent margin. They're responsible for my top 4 rides (Millennium Force, El Toro, Storm Runner, and Kingda Ka in that order), with Kumba being the first B&M on my list at #6.

Here are my top eight coasters of the 55 I have rode.

1. X2

2. Tatsu

3. Goliath (SFMM)

4. Deja Vu (SFMM)

5. Riddler's Revenge

6. Batman: The Ride (SFMM)

7. Scream

8. Viper (SFMM)

X2 is the most innovative coaster I've ever been on and is my all time favorite. Viper is still one of my favorites and has stood the test of time very well in my opinion. B&M has my four of my top eight. Arrow has two of my top eight, including my favorite. I guess that makes it somewhat of a tie.

This is a tough one, at least on the steel end of things. I'd say it's pretty neck to neck between B&M and Intamin for steel coasters, but based on overall ride quality I have to give the slight nod to Intamin. B&M delivers an awesome product, from their hypers to their inverts (which tend to be some of the funnest rides for me), but they fall just short on the "Wow factor" that Intamin coasters give (like their launchers and hypers/gigas).

For wooden coasters, it's the Gravity Group all the way. The 2 of their wooden coasters that I've ridden both reside firmly in my wooden top 5, and one of them (Voyage) is my #1 coaster overall. Their designs are edgy and aggressive, and their coasters are an intense ride without being rough. That said, if the Intamin woodies were more prevalent here in the US, it could possibly turn into a clean sweep for Intamin. El Toro was simply mind-boggling, and I only wish I could've been able to ride it more than once during my visit (which was literally on the day it soft-opened to the public and it's first full day of operation).

A few years back, I would have said B&M by a landslide! Today, I have to go with Intamin. Intamin offers a wide variety of coaster designs/concepts and most, if not all, of their coasters over the last 8-10 years have been excellent IMO. I still love B&M, but I guess I know what to expect when riding a new B&M now because many of them are similar to an extent. Another company who I really am taking notice of is Gerstlauer. Gerstlauer offers high-thrill products at an affordable price...and their rides are simply fun! Oh and GCI rocks my world too

Overall, my favourite manufacturer has to be GCI, with Gravity Group & Intamin close behind. I know this'll get me bashed but B&M are just glorified, and Vekoma don't deserve a mention. All time favorite manufacturer though? Charles Paige, for building the incredible wooden coasters in Pleasure Beach, Blackpool.

B&M. It's got the loops and twists that I love, with a little bit of airtime too on some coasters. I still don't know why I like the Mantis so much though...

Intamin is also good too, and Maverick is awesome, but most of their coasters I've ridden just go for biggest and fastest, which doesn't mean best. Besides the Maverick, they have one other awesome coaster. JR. GEMINI!

#1.......................................................................................................................................B&M

#2.......................................................................................................................................Intamin

#3.......................................................................................................................................GCI

Close 4th....................................................................................................................Gerstlauer

Worst Ever (I haven't ridden one)...................................................................................................probably Pax from the looks of things...

Intamin is also good too, and Maverick is awesome, but most of their coasters I've ridden just go for biggest and fastest, which doesn't mean best. Besides the Maverick, they have one other awesome coaster. JR. GEMINI!

Intamin doesn't choose to build the biggest and fastest. It's all what the park wants.

As for all the Intamin love, what is not to love about them? I can understand the restraints being an issue on some rides, but for the most part I find Intamin's a lot smoother than B&Ms because all 12 B&Ms I've been on have a lot of rattle. If Maverick is your #1, you get why Intamin is awesome!

Definitely Intamin for me, I like rides which are different/unique and don't do the same thing. A few of the B&M's I rode in America were very samey and even though I hadn't, I felt I could have ridden them before.

There are some awesome B&M's though, such as Nemesis, Incredible Hulk, Duelling Dragons, Oblivion.

I do just prefer Intamin. To be honest though I am sure if we had a GCI or GG coaster over here they would be up there too as they all look pretty epic

Pinfari's also rock my socks

1. Gerstlauer

2. B&M

3. Intamin

Sorry, but Gerstlauer wins it for me. Their coasters are so smooth, innovative and full of airtime. They've been copied by Intamin on the beyond Vertical drop also, which must say quite a lot about how special the company is. They also offer the most snug restraints and comfortable seating.

B&M are a close second, due to smoothness and innovation. Their restraint's are nice, just not quite as snug as Gerstlauer's, well for me at least.

Intamin just don't do anything for me. Their rides are great fun, but I find a lot of them tend to be rough in the back and their over shoulder restrains, are terrible.

Intamin doesn't choose to build the biggest and fastest. It's all what the park wants.

As for all the Intamin love, what is not to love about them? I can understand the restraints being an issue on some rides, but for the most part I find Intamin's a lot smoother than B&Ms because all 12 B&Ms I've been on have a lot of rattle. If Maverick is your #1, you get why Intamin is awesome!

That's what I was getting to. The only Intamins I've ever ridden are are Cedar Point, and Cedar Point NEEDS to be the best. Really pumped to ride Volcano: TBC, though. Might change my opinion.

Also, I completely forgot about Arrow! They probably come in third. All their coasters are just classics now, and they usually have a really small wait time (Vortex was kind of in between). And Mine Ride somehow never disappoints.

B&M are a close second, due to smoothness and innovation.

I understand the rest of your post, but Intamin far outshines B&M when it comes to layout and element innovation and improvement in my opinion.

If you don't mind me asking, what is it that makes you think B&M is more innovative than Intamin?