TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Coming from the midwest, I have a question to all you KBF locals. How is operations up there? I'm a ride operator down at Kings Island and love nothing less than to speil to hype up guests and care for any ride I have ever touched. My years down at Coney Island/KI can attest to that and I've been lookng for a place where I can further use my skils more or less yearround. I feel that sticking with Cedar Fair may be my best shot, and KBF is the only place I can think of that is open a good majority of the year. So I was wondering how things were up there, and if it was worth it to move to California.....I'm well aware that its expensive in that area, but honestly I live and breath amusement parks, so I'd live off of bare neccessities anyways.

Thanks for any help or advice,

Jared (aka that cool dude stuck on flat rides that gets to work Racer/Invertigo sometimes)

Coming from the midwest, I have a question to all you KBF locals. How is operations up there? I'm a ride operator down at Kings Island and love nothing less than to speil to hype up guests and care for any ride I have ever touched. My years down at Coney Island/KI can attest to that and I've been lookng for a place where I can further use my skils more or less yearround. I feel that sticking with Cedar Fair may be my best shot, and KBF is the only place I can think of that is open a good majority of the year. So I was wondering how things were up there, and if it was worth it to move to California.....I'm well aware that its expensive in that area, but honestly I live and breath amusement parks, so I'd live off of bare neccessities anyways.

Jared (aka that cool dude stuck on flat rides that gets to work Racer/Invertigo sometimes)

Well working for Knott's is fine, though I think looking more for working at Diseny is much better. Though, you would just move from the Midwest all the way down to Orange County just to work at Knott's?

Knotts would be my thought to stay with Cedar Fair (a major company I'm already inolved with-leading to better chances for promotion and hopefully a full time job down the line.) Really anywhere that I can more or less be a full time ride op is ideal, but like I said before, I am a speil master so CF is awesome for that....

Honestly, if you're thinking about working as an operator at a park, California isn't the place to go. Costs are exorbitant. Your chances are better to move up the ladder heading south to Orlando where no one has had to do a documentary film about how those involved in the tourism industry of the local area are homeless/living in shelters/living in dive motels (which was actually done by HBO a couple years ago about Orange County).

If you're looking to stay with Cedar Fair, consider staying with the seasonal parks and try to make contacts elsewhere outside of the chain so you can directly send in your resume if something becomes available. I wouldn't even consider moving to California unless there was a salaried position guaranteed in it.

Honestly, if you're thinking about working as an operator at a park, California isn't the place to go. Costs are exorbitant. Your chances are better to move up the ladder heading south to Orlando where no one has had to do a documentary film about how those involved in the tourism industry of the local area are homeless/living in shelters/living in dive motels (which was actually done by HBO a couple years ago about Orange County).

If you're looking to stay with Cedar Fair, consider staying with the seasonal parks and try to make contacts elsewhere outside of the chain so you can directly send in your resume if something becomes available. I wouldn't even consider moving to California unless there was a salaried position guaranteed in it.

I agree with DirkFunk, heck I have been trying to move out of CA for years. CA isn't the place to go, either stay where you are or move to Orlando.

Personally, I'd say...Do what you feel will suit you best. I will admit that the living expenses in Southern California are steep, but millions find a way to make ends meet. So if finances are not your main concern (though I do say you keep it in the top three) then give it a shot. I've been to other parts of the U.S. (including Ohio) and I'd say if you have the opportunity to live here, go for it. Besides, the cost of living in Los Angeles county is substantially cheaper than that of Orange county due to slightly higher per capita income. Not saying you should, but if you really want to do it, come on out, and find a roommate in Long Beach.

Hi, I've been visiting TPR for a while now and have finally registered. I drive (well not ME literally) past KBF about every night, and go about two times a month during the school year. Tonight, Windseeker had a different lighting sequence, changing from different colors like yellow, blue, green, etc, instead of the red, white and blue. Just thought I'd put that out there I wonder if this is a seasonal change? Do any of the other Windseekers change thier lighting sequence?

I'm not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but just thought I'd mention it in case it hasn't. Marty Keithley, park General Manager has resigned to "pursue other interests."

Raffi Kaprelyan (who originates from Knott's Berry Farm) has returned after holding the position of General Manager at Canada's Wonderland for the past few years.

My quetion: when did Raffi leave Knott's? I really do wish Marty the best of luck, but Knott's operations have only gone downhill since the early 2000's. I do wonder if a shift in management would improve anything/ make anything worse. Having a Disney CEO, however may also have a positve influence on this park, of which operations leave a lot to be desired.

[i'm also talking to you, Kings Dominion!]

Someone who actively visited the park when Raffi was last in charge...was it good, bad, or ugly? From what I'm hearing, things seem to be running a bit differently now.

Does anyone know where he stands about Ghost Rider? It's still my favorite woodie, and I wish we could some day have the OMG Drop off the midcourse brakerun back...

So the Cedar Fair trashcan jokes could come to an end?

I guess so.

I'm going to be at Haunt tonight so I hope to be able to see a reduction in trash cans.

Isn't it funny all the parks around the country are talking about new coasters or new major attractions next year, and we are talking about how many trashcans they are removing.