TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best Coaster Layouts

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though I haven't been on it, Afterburn seems to have an awesome layout. No midcourse break run or redundant turns, just relentless B&M awesomeness.

For an inverted coaster Afterburn is defintely one of the best layouts. I also like Talon's layout.

For wood coasters I prefer twister layouts as I like the headchopper effects since the layout is usually tight and compact.

The Shooting Star at Coney Island had the best visual and thrilling layout. I've read that it had several hills pulling serious amounts of airtime, with a first drop that overlooked the Ohio River.

If only they could recreate it.

It was recreated as Mighty Canadian Minebuster at Canada's Wonderland/ I mean, I don't think it's a 100% faithful recreation, but the layout was modeled pretty much completely after Shooting Star.

The Shooting Star at Coney Island had the best visual and thrilling layout. I've read that it had several hills pulling serious amounts of airtime, with a first drop that overlooked the Ohio River.

If only they could recreate it.

It was recreated as Mighty Canadian Minebuster at Canada's Wonderland/ I mean, I don't think it's a 100% faithful recreation, but the layout was modeled pretty much completely after Shooting Star.

Not only that, but Coney Island's Wildcat (also in the video) inspired the layouts for Grizzly at Kings Dominion and Wild Beast at Canada's Wonderland.

My favorite layouts are easily The Beast and The Voyage. Both have so much inspiration and thought put into every inch of track.

Superman: Escape from Krypton! (just kidding )

Credit to Knott's Berry Farm. They take out both the best steel and wooden coaster layouts that I've experienced.

Wooden: GhostRider: Awesome double out-and-back layout thundering through the wooden supports!

Steel: Silver Bullet: I liked the height of the ride and the way the track hangs riders over the footpaths and rides below.

I'd also give credit to Tatsu and Apocalypse (SFMM). Both have good ride layouts too.

Steel: Silver Bullet: I liked the height of the ride and the way the track hangs riders over the footpaths and rides below.

I'd say many people would disagree with you calling Silver Bullet's layout great, partially because if the first drop were any less steep it'd be classified as a turn.

Even though I haven't been on it, Afterburn seems to have an awesome layout. No midcourse break run or redundant turns, just relentless B&M awesomeness.

I agree with you on this one! Afterburn is in my homepark and is one of my top 10 steel coasters, top three when it comes to inverts.

I agree with you on this one! Afterburn is in my homepark and is one of my top 10 steel coasters, top three when it comes to inverts.

I'd say many people would disagree with you calling Silver Bullet's layout great, partially because if the first drop were any less steep it'd be classified as a turn.

I agree with him. I think Silver Bullet offers a fantastic layout thats much more wide open and gives a free flying feel, unlike Batman Clones that offer a major headache following your ride.

I'm not crazy about the actual layout, but I just love this picture of Raging Bull. To me it's B&M awesomeness

Isn't there a thread for coaster pictures. If you don't actually like the layout then why post it in the "Best Coaster Layouts" thread?!

I have a few more to add to this.

14.bmp

How has nobody mentioned Riddler's Revenge? Am I really the only one who likes the Loop-Dive-Dive-Inclined-Stengel-MCBR-Corkscrew-Floater-Corkscrew combination?

15.jpg.76ef8835c22a2026853e82236115f274.jpg

Speed: No Limits at Oakwood is another one of my favorites. It's kind of like a miniature out and back steel looper that's got a little bit of everything in it.

16.jpg.b90999db8235ab6a5fc30b5b1ed9f622.jpg

Huracan at Belantis is another Eurofighter with a good layout. And the only one with interlocking corkscrews to date.

17.jpg.bef88817f2153f40943e6812b7c53650.jpg

I may be wrong, but I believe that Tornado at Bakken is Intamin's only spinning coaster. It's an indoor coaster (this was taken during construction), but it still manages some really good forces apparently.

18.jpg.51ae56677122cfc140bd0864de2160b2.jpg

OzIris at Parc Astérix I think has the best layout of the B&M inverts alongside Nemesis and Silver Bullet. The entire layout is impossible to get in one picture, but this should give you a good idea of its Dive-Overbank-Loop-Immelmann-Overbank-ZeroG-ZeroG combo.

19.jpg.54ae2715b225f2695b26efeef84e5e9d.jpg

I mentioned this one in the original post, but I only just now found a decent enough picture that depicts Vild-Svinet's compact and twisty layout. Also the world's first Eurofighter.

20.jpg.68e3b984fc76da284494ba19706807e9.jpg

How has nobody else mentioned Kanonen at Liseberg yet? Just look at how brilliantly compact it is!

• 6 months later...

Kumba

kumba.jpg.3d7081753c462b30264374a49e8eb8ae.jpg

I love this ride. It crosses itself numerous times, it interacts with the railroad tracks and entrance bridge, is sculpted into teh landscape and has awesome forces throughout. This coaster turned 20 this year, and it is still one of my favorites.

Kumba's layout is my favorite on any looping roller coaster. It just has the prefect combination of inversions and it has that bonus helix at the end.2mba.jpg.a483f2a7b5b0404bf8804e1e88cda382.jpg

Even though I never rode it, Drachen Fire's always stood out to me.22318171.thumb.jpg.aa9c320ba9527a676f83714e4efe7a69.jpg

One of the best looking roller coasters ever made imo.