TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Why all the screaming, Robb?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Robb hit the nail right on the head when he said......

--Robb "You are more than welcome to travel around the world and produce your own videos if you don't like ours." Alvey

Robb has every right to respond the way he did and quite frankly it would have pissed me off as well if someone came into "my house" and criticized the way I did things. The comment of "I want to show my kids but I have to turn down the volume first" because of the profanity. Really??? Give me an eff'ing break. You make it seem like there is profanity in every video in which there isn't. The only thing I can think I've heard was an "oh $#!t" and I highly doubt your kids have never heard a cuss word before.

I know the one thing that annoys the hell out of me personally (and what really pissed Robb off)is when someone sets up their argument and tries to justify their argument by throwing in "most people" in there. Had the viking22 guy just said "I really don't like when....." Or "some people don't like when...." He probably would have gotten a different response.

So yeh, don't be surprised at the response you get when you come on their website and pretty much insult all the hard work that is done putting all of these DVDs together. I'd say it's the equivalent of walking up to Robb and kicking him in the balls because you didn't like how he set up the ERT schedule at a coaster event.

In short: Robb has to have fun too.. he can't spend his whole time riding roller coasters staying silent to insure the best POVs out there. This is his job, and he has fun doing it. If you don't enjoy watching them, so what?

Btw, I've been watching Robb's videos since I was 9 or 10.. I didn't think they were bad whatsoever.

Long time lurker, saw this on Twitter and thought I'd finally register to share my thoughts.
When I say commentary, I'm referring to explanation of elements ("Now we're going through a cobra roll!") or generally talking about the ride ("And at the bottom of this hill we'll be going 93 mph!"). I don't like hearing someone ramble on about the ride while I'm actually riding it, so therefore I don't like it in the videos either. If I'm not mistaken, it was this commentary that douggw and Vikings22 were referring to in their respective posts as opposed to general screaming, yelling, and enjoyment.

We have never made a video like this and that's not what they were talking about at all. If you really were a "long time lurker" you would know that we have never made a video like this. And therefore makes everything you said completely discredited.

I do, however, have a problem with the way you go about expressing your feedback to the criticism you got.

Great! Please find another forum to post to if you don't like what we have to say.

Disclaimer! You need a sense of humor to view our site, if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!

Edited by robbalvey

Threads like this are why we can't have nice things.

I still think the Manhattan Express video is the funniest thing I've ever seen on the Internet. And it wouldn't be nearly as much fun without Robb cursing Togo the whole time.

Keep up the good work!

If you heard a woman having an orgasm on a ride...would you complain about it? What if you were sitting next to said woman? Hearing any type of audio other than dead old silence on a coaster is what makes a coaster come to life.

Jimmy "I scream in Robb's ear if he sits in front of me" Bo

^^ Buckeye_Ben beat me too it. I love the Manhattan Express vieo. As well as that yellow Arrow Hyper (Can't think of the name, Titan? possibly) where you guys just make fun of Ron Toomer the entire time. I've actually viewed another video by you of that coaster and switched it once I found out that it wasn't the fun yelling one haha. The personality expressed in the videos makes it more fun to watch. TPR videos wouldn't be the same without it.

I do, however, have a problem with the way you go about expressing your feedback to the criticism you got.

Great! Please find another forum to post to if you don't like what we have to say.

Disclaimer! You need a sense of humor to view our site, if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!

As a business owner, I doubt Robb really wants to tell people to go elsewhere because he makes more money if they stay. That said, as a business owner, he also has the right to not have to put up with stupid crap. If someone asks "Why all the screaming, Robb?", he's going to defend why he does things the way he does. If I were in his position, I'd defend myself too.

My takeaway from this thread..

-Beggars can't be choosers.

-Don't question a gracious host's selection of wine. Enjoy the free glass.

-This site isn't about sitting in your basement listening to perfect silent videos of roller coasters.. It's about having fun, interacting with people, enjoying their personalities, and meeting new friends. If you don't get that, then this site probably isn't for you.

-If you are invited to a party and aren't happy with the host, It's better etiquette to just head home early, then call him or her out in their home.

-chris

-This site isn't about sitting in your basement listening to perfect silent videos of roller coasters.. It's about having fun, interacting with people, enjoying their personalities, and meeting new friends. If you don't get that, then this site probably isn't for you.

THIS!

One of the reasons I like the TPR vids is the commentary - hearing Robb's 'wheee' and 'loop-de-loop!' during the rides makes them much more interesting than just coaster noise. Nothing wrong with the odd expletive either - I can think of quite a few rides which cause me to yell words I don't often use!

If the OP is concerned about swearing he should either watch the vids before showing his kids, or just turn off the sound. Problem solved.

Robb, the personality in your vids makes them great, love your work!

Honestly, for me, hearing the screams, shouts, etc shows the fun being had on such attractions...."LOOOPTEEE LOOOOOP!"

And it's what separates TPR from everything else. Having no commentary in the videos is like reading a trip report with just pictures only and no captions...captions are half the fun of a trip report especially if humorous.

What's next...telling people to stop screaming when you're nabbing that new credit as it will completely ruin your 1-1 experience with the coaster? *shakes head*

I'm sorry, but is there really this much of a discussion about someone saying "whee" on a roller coaster? Maybe I'm wrong, but what I see Robb say on his videos is pretty much exactly what I hear on any roller coaster, people just enjoying themselves. If you watch a CoasterForce or any other POV, chances are you'll hear someone in the background say a lot worse than what Robb says.

Robb was being pretty polite here, and gave fair, level-headed responses and some people just continued to be absolute D-Bags. Also for someone to suggest that he's not allowed to moderate his own website, give your head a shake. I may not agree with everything Robb says on this site, but this is first and foremost HIS site, he say and moderate what he wants. There are plenty of other sites you can go to if you want pure, unfiltered pandemonium.

I think you need to realize that this is first and foremost just for fun. It's only a roller coaster for god sakes. If this offends you, I can't imagine how you handle the rest of the internet.

If this offends you, I can't imagine how you handle the rest of the internet.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

I'm just trying to fathom why this thread even exists. What you're asking is someone to change what they love for your own personal gains. As much as you agree or disagree with me on this, the content Robb produces are firmly in the art category. He shares that with the world, and his own views free of charge. You don't have to pay an admission fee to view 90% of the material on this site, you don't have to go out of your way to enjoy the videos and photos posted from their trips.

ps. And not sure if you've ever read the internet before, but other sites would have been FAR MORE abrasive back to you. Have you ever read sites like Reddit, 4Chan, or even most YouTube comments? Those sites make me weep for the future of humanity when you read the responses. Sure, I might be a bit brash with my posts, but I'm being HONEST with you, not filtering my responses, and my god, we are SO TAME compared to the rest of the internet.

I just want to emphasize this paragraph. The internet is not a kind place, most news publication websites have far, FAR worse comments than here. I don't see you complaining to them that they should clean up their act.

Long time lurker, saw this on Twitter and thought I'd finally register to share my thoughts.

I'mma let you finish, but...

My opinion, however, is irrelevant. They are, as you said, your videos and I will continue to watch them as they are usually of high quality. I don't usually have a problem with your POVs at all.

Congratulations. You just told the internet that your posts are completely worthless to read. Any other site you would be flamed, ignored, or otherwise trolled.

I do, however, have a problem with the way you go about expressing your feedback to the criticism you got. I don't see where Vikings22 was at all being "abrasive", as you said.

Which leads me into this section right here:

You could of just said I make the videos for me first and viewers second. That would have gotten your point across fine.

I'm well aware people view your videos. I never said the audio stopped me from viewing them either. I just find the audio annoying, but the video top notch. I have no issue with hearing screams and laughter in the videos. It's the comments that bother me.

Referring to the opening of my post:

What you're asking is someone to change what they love for your own personal gains. As much as you agree or disagree with me on this, the content Robb produces are firmly in the art category.

I don't see anything in Vikings22's posts that warranted the full-page, defensive, and obnoxious replies that you provided. It seems the phrase "most people" outraged you, and I'm not entirely sure why. It's just as easy to politely explain that "most people" don't share the same opinion as Vikings as it is to write a passionate, defensive monologue explaining why Vikings is supposedly acting like a child.

Frankly I do. This is what Robb does for a living. Telling him that he should change something because you don't like the way it sounds is actually a pretty big insult. Especially to someone who works incredibly hard, and really doesn't hear any feedback like this ever. If he hasn't received comments complaining about the audio before, why should he believe some random person on the internet that he speaks for the community?

Additionally, the fact that this website is less "harsh" than 4chan or YouTube is irrelevant. Everyone knows that those forums are the lowest of the low when it comes to internet communities -- being more respectful than them isn't exactly a point of pride.

Ok. Go to a high traffic public forum and show me where the nice people are. I'd love to meet them.

This post is not directed solely at Robb, either, but at the community in general. Seeing name-calling like "douchebag" and schoolyard insults like "Perhaps Mommy should have taken them off the teat before their 5th birthday?" really makes me nauseous. You people ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

Really. I should. I'm sorry, allow me to respectfully introduce myself:

I could be far more abrasive than this image, because you just insulted me personally. Do I go out of my to respond to people with those sets of insults? No. I'll be right back and cast a wide net over the users of this community and insult them all at once while using sweeping generalizations to make my argument seem better. Maybe you should be ashamed of yourself, seeing as you basically just sank to - according to you - our level.

Forums are a place for people to respectfully voice their opinions and engage in discussions with others that share their interests.

fo·rum

/ˈfôrəm/

Noun

A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

An Internet message board.

There is nothing here that says you must be respectful. Normally I'd happily respect your opinion, and just ignore this topic entirely, but this is entire thread is ridiculous. It deserves a far more "abrasive" response than you have been receiving so far. I agree, there is no reason for anyone to be rude and obnoxious at one another. But let me ask you, when you see someone cut another person off on the highway and they honk their horn and are throwing the middle finger at the car that cut them off do you fault that person for getting angry? Do you tell them they should be ashamed of themselves for being angry that someone was a complete tool on the road for nothing but getting to their destination .0000005 seconds faster?

The responses to Vikings22 and douggw are anything but respectful, and were completely unwarranted.

I'll step off my soapbox now.

You shouldn't have gotten on the soapbox in the first place. When you attack someones livelihood, their creativity, creative control, and the things they enjoy you should expect nothing but an aggressive response. Then folks seemed to have the idea in their head that they could speak for the community. You do NOT represent me, my opinions, my viewpoints, or my personality. Robb has every right to be mad, and now the community does as well.

In my opinion, everyone needs to relax a little bit. This whole thread is being blown out of proportion. I'm not trying to start a flame war, but this is my 2 cents...

-If you would prefer not to have your kids hear profanity, mute the video, or watch a different YouTube POV.

-Robb has the right to run the site however he feels, he foots the bills.

-Some of you are being a little over dramatic here though. Just because some people find the noises annoying, doesn't make them "douche bags". Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Like someone earlier mentioned, we're talking about roller coasters! The only debates in the roller coaster world that should be this crazy are B&M vs Intamin, and Millennium Force vs Bizarro.

You know, I've been an enthusiast since I was seven years old. I became a coaster snob and treated park visits like I was visiting a museum.

Then I came across Theme Park Review..........now I know how to act in parks. You're supposed to be having fun, a sort of escape if you will. Since then, instead of worrying about some crappy 1920s coaster being demolished, I only care about one thing........that the ride is fun.

The videos show the true spirit of how you should act in a park. If there is swearing (like the Manhattan Express video), it is well deserved and a natural reaction. If you hear people in the videos having a good time well, the term is AMUSEMENT PARK.

I love the fact that when I'm at a park I can just let go and forget about anything else except the fun I'm having. Sometimes I even act a little bit of an idiot. But who cares? These places and videos are supposed to be fun.

It's that spirit and sense of adventure that TPR's videos, trip reports, and community have that make this site what it is.

If someone doesn't like it, there are plenty of boring coaster sites and communities to go to.

Everyone should act a little crazy when they go to parks. It's all good and fun.

It's funny because after I joined TPR, I was still an active member on another unnamed coaster site but quickly just fizzled out within days. People there felt that I didn't express my sense of humor there as I did here (where I felt at home when I signed up back in '05)...but there was no sense of humor and such there...and I didn't want to be the only guy there being 'weird' as many may think. I just recently posted stuff there but feel like everyone's got sticks shoved up their butts (ouch, that is probably a harsh description).

And about the 'acting like an idiot sometimes' in a theme park...I'd prefer to hear it being more described as a nutcase/weirdo since we aren't going around breaking park rules and such.

Last but not least, I've learned a lot here. I'm going to be completely honest now. Back then I was one of those who would be bothered by every little thing...reason behind that was being bullied as a kid...It only made things worse for me if I took things too serious. After signing up here and such, you can pretty much say that the pair has grown and I've learned to shake things off if I disagree with something, and to not take life so serious...and to just have fun/keep positive! It seems that TPR videos are starting to rub off on me as I've become a bit 'noisier' on rides, especially deadly carnival rides! In the end, it's all just having fun!

Also, I really liked the whole 'treating an amusement park as a museum' analogy. TPR and theme parks are not the public library or the fine arts museum where everyone is as quiet as a church mouse, studying such things...As said, it's a place of fun.

Robb, I appreciate what you do. You and Elissa have great jobs, but everyone knows how much work and bull you have to put up with. You run your business perfectly, and you make incredible POV's. 99% of this forum shares this opinion and that's all that matters. You may come off harsh, but I honestly think it is always well-deserved and in-line.