TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Golden Ticket Awards 2012 Results

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Every year this list proves what BS it is and how much the Cedar Point fanboys factor into this whole thing.

A few things that stand out to me:

TTD is 13 and KK is 38. It's the SAME FREAKING RIDE!!!!

I305 number 12? Are you effing kidding me?

Goliath (SFMM) higher than Skyrush! In what Universe?

At least El Toro got the top spot.

These results!? Really? It seems like they don't even actually ride the rides they rank; they just look them up and rank coasters by their stats and how they look.

Well, to be fair, the GTA list has always been a pretty screwed up poll. Actually, to be fair, I think they did a bit better job this year than last year with their rankings, but they are still nowhere close to having a reasonable system. Mitch's poll does so much better.

EDIT: The rankings for "best new ride for 2012" are even more outrageous! Wild Eagle won with nearly a third of the votes! Skyrush tied with Oz'Iris for fifth, behind Verbolten! Seriously!? Verbolten? I really like Verbolten, but how on earth did it get ranked higher than Skyrush!?

I get to practice my smugface now that El Toro is #1 in two different coaster polls this year, both the real one (Mitch) and the fake one (this). Also, how the hell have I never been on the Phoenix? I'll rectify that shortly.

Why is it that the wooden coaster poll is so much more accurate or fair than the steel coaster poll, or pretty much all the other polls?

It seems that the entire committee is either

a) A Cedar Point fanboy

b) A modern B&M fanboy

c) An Intamin hater (Who are usually also B)

Intamins dominate Mitch's poll, but B&M's tend to dominate this one. There are six B&M hypers on the list, and only two Intamin hypers. Well, I see it as being seven B&M's, as MF has a layout and feel more like a B&M.

It seems that the entire committee is either

a) A Cedar Point fanboy

b) A modern B&M fanboy

c) An Intamin hater (Who are usually also B)

Intamins dominate Mitch's poll, but B&M's tend to dominate this one. There are six B&M hypers on the list, and only two Intamin hypers. Well, I see it as being seven B&M's, as MF has a layout and feel more like a B&M.

^ I agree with all of this. I hate to say it but not having I305 or Skyrush higher shows who ever votes for these rides are afraid of real roller coasters. Skyrush with its air ejector seat time, should of been ranked higher. The seats don't hurt if you cross your legs. Honestly, I did not think it hurt at all. I305 is just a forceful ride that is more thrilling then most of the coasters in the top 10.

^Agreed. Some of my thoughts...

-Carowind's Intimidator practically put me to sleep, but it came in as 7 ahead of I305 and Skyrush???

-I've only ridden 2 of the 6 "new for 2012's" listed, but even though Wild Eagle was fun, I thought Skyrush was way better.

-Although it is interesting how the wooden poll seems more reasonable than the steel.

Oh well...at least there's still Mitch's.

I agree with everyone here saying that I305 and Skyrush should have been ranked higher in fact, I would put Skyrush as best new ride and best steel coaster in the world. That airtime is so wicked and unlike anything I've ever ridden.

Also I'm surprised Wild Eagle won best new ride, I thought that Skyrush or Leviathan would have won that.

I think the problem is with the voter pool. It's skewered towards "old school" enthusiasts who are not as well traveled or vote based on history/rides they had on a ride 10-20 years ago. They've done a better job of increasing the pool (Myself & Dan among others were added as voters 3-4 years ago), but not enough to overcome the bias.

I have no problem with Nitro being near the top of the list. I wouldn't say it's my #3 steel coaster but I do think it's the exception to the rule when it comes to overrated B&M hypercoasters. I find it to be a ton of fun with great pops of air and a very intense helix. Apollo's Chariot, Intimidator (Carowinds) and Magnum (the most overrated coaster of all time) really should not be on this list. They're all good coasters but give me a break.

I haven't ridden Diamondback or Goliath so I can't comment but from what I've heard they don't belong in the top ten either.

PS: No I305 on the top ten? But Magnum is... Magnum... how can anyone think Magnum is better than I305?

PSS: The Beast?? Are we really going to do this? ugh

Edited by coasterbill

I don't really put much stock into these rankings anymore. I mean, it may be beneficial for the GP, but I personally do not agree with some of the rankings. Specifically the absence of i305.

Interesting to see Wild Eagle taking number 1 for 2012 additions. I haven't ridden it, but it had stiff competition.