TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Major League Baseball Thread

PhishyBrewer

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While we're in the USA my brother and I have decided to head to a baseball game, so we're seeing the Nationals play the Mets in Washington. I basically understand the sport but is anyone able to fill me in on whether either of these teams are any good, players to watch for and any other tips to help us enjoy the game more?

When are you visiting? I'll be seeing a game in Washington at the end of May, so if that's before your visit, I'd be glad to report back to you a little more about the stadium.

As for the Mets, they're my favorite team....and they're worthless.

Well my A's are in first place. (Despite their 50mil payroll) Ahh....Angels.(HUGH Payroll!) But the big surprise is the Redsox, who did absolutely (((nothing))) in the off-season, after gutting the team to the Dodgers, they are in 1st place as well!

Life is full of surprises!

When are you visiting? I'll be seeing a game in Washington at the end of May, so if that's before your visit, I'd be glad to report back to you a little more about the stadium.

As for the Mets, they're my favorite team....and they're worthless.

June 5th - we're spending a couple of days in Washington and this day worked out best to see a game. Sounds like I should cheer for the home team then

My tip would be to get the best seats possible. If you're only going to get to experience a game once, might as well do it up close with all you can eat/drink if you can afford the club seating.

This was something of a compromise - I'm really into sport but my brother isn't a fan, so he didn't want to spend much on the ticket. So we're sitting infield gallery level, front row. Cheap enough and still (hopefully) a decent view.

Well life is good for us Atlanta Braves fans. Thank you very much. Up-Up and a Hey

It was especially hilarious to watch them complete a come from behind W against the Cubs in the bottom of the 9th earlier this month. BJ ties the game with a solo shot, Justin walks it off one batter later with a solo shot of his own. Braves were down 5-1 coming into the 8th. Lou Piniella coined a phrase during his stint with the Cubs- Cubbie Occurrence. This would have qualified as such.

Can't help but think that the NL begins and ends with Washington and Atlanta this year. Of course, no guarantees in baseball- not too many picked SF to be the last one standing in 2012, especially in an off year for Lincecum, but it looks like the road to late October goes through one or both of those teams in the NL.

• 2 weeks later...
Well my A's are in first place. (Despite their 50mil payroll) Ahh....Angels.(HUGH Payroll!) But the big surprise is the Redsox, who did absolutely (((nothing))) in the off-season, after gutting the team to the Dodgers, they are in 1st place as well!

Life is full of surprises!

The best part is that it didn't do the Dodgers any good!

• 2 weeks later...

I went to yesterdays Giants game, and got watch the SWEEP of the dodgers. I think you guys are counting SF out to early We have the second best record in the league behind STL. I guess we will see how we stack up this coming weekend and so on 9-12 when we play Atlanta and Washington. Oh ya, I got lucky enough to sit by Larry Baer (GIANTS CEO) yesterday too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, now I'm really feeling like an ass for chewing out my Pirates the way I did after last season's collapse. Winning 4 straight now, and sitting atop the NL Central! I was hoping they'd still be playing well after the all star break, but this is astonishing!

Please god, let this be the year they break the streak!

So MLB just handed out the suspensions for this latest steriod fiasco. A-Rod gets suspended for the rest of this year and all of next year and 12 other players get 50 game suspensions.

The players to get 50 game suspensions are ...

• Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Antonio Bastardo
    San Diego Padres shortstop Everth Cabrera
    New York Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli
    Texas Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz
    Padres pitcher Fautino De Los Santos
    Houston Astros pitcher Sergio Escalona
    Yankees outfielder Fernando Martinez
    Seattle Mariners catcher Jesus Montero
    Free agent pitcher Jordan Norberto
    Detroit Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta
    New York Mets outfielder Cesar Puello
    Mets infielder/outfielder Jordany Valdespin

More Info

I'm at the point where I don't even care. The baseball community is so hypocritical about the whole thing...Wonder why Bud Selig wasn't serious about PED's during the home run chase? Or Barry Bonds pursuit of the record? Because it sold. Now being strict sells, so Selig is pretending like he cares...

Even worse is that outside of being labeled cheaters...there's no real repercussions for the players! Ryan Bruan is going to make another $100 million when he comes back, A-rod is going to continue to get his huge paycheck, Melky Cabrerra got a new deal with the Jays after his ban, Bartolo Colon revived his career...

I read a column that said A-Rod will retire if he loses the appeal on the ban. He is 38 now and it would be unlikely to come back at 40. He is appealing the ban so he can continue to play and get his huge paycheck. Grabbing all the cash he can.