TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tokyo Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 78 - TONS of new Fantasy Springs info!

^ Yep. The other versions don't and will not have the horizontal dark ride section known as the "5th Dimension". DCA's version has one extra special effect that WDW doesn't have but I don't feel it makes up for no 5d room...

the element of surprise is a lot better then a 5D room and no surprise, imo.

Robb is IMO right that the DCA version just isn't on par with the WDW version.

The first time I was on the WDW version and the whole "elevator" started to move forward, I was in shock, having no idea what was going to happen next. Mix that with the eerie effects, it made it a much more dramatic experience for me than some big mirror with lighting effects.

The only thing DCA does better is the shaking of the vehicle.

^ Yep. The other versions don't and will not have the horizontal dark ride section known as the "5th Dimension". DCA's version has one extra special effect that WDW doesn't have but I don't feel it makes up for no 5d room...

the element of surprise is a lot better then a 5D room and no surprise, imo.

It's all a matter of opinion, obviously, but I think you'll find that most people (and I mean the general public) will disagree with you.

The element of surprise for most people on ToT actually is the 5th Dimension room. They know it's going to "drop" and they expect that, but most people don't expect it to move out of the elevator shaft. And when it does begin to move, then they have NO IDEA where it's going or when it's going to drop. First time riders are often more terrified of the dark ride part than they were the drop itself! I know I read an article in either Disney mag or something like that recently that actually talked about this....

--Robb

The hallway will just remind me that it's based off the lamer DCA version of the ride. I think what annoys me about the hallway in this version (and the DCA version) is how everything else is so well themed and the hallway is just...well...a hallway. It looks more like a "backstage" area than it does part of the "show." And that's what's always bothered me about it.

--Robb

If you are a member of MouseInfo, then you can go to their forums and you'll find a video of the whole thing (queue, lobby, preshow, ride, giftshop) in their Tower of Terror topic in TDR forum.

Somehow, I've heard many stories about the ride being a bit tame, but the whole experience is supposedly amazing.

It's supposed to be themed to a "hotel employee" only area hence the bareness of it all. Without the flash of the camera, it would hardly be visible. Besides...even that hallway is more themed than DCA's. It has banners and signs decorated on the walls. The plain walls and doors are NOT visible when you walk down. People are getting way too worked up about this hallway. Upon entering the elevators, the lights are very dark. I couldn't even see it when I rode DCA's had I not used my flash. It does not take away from the ride at all.

It's supposed to be themed to a "hotel employee" only area hence the bareness of it all. Without the flash of the camera, it would hardly be visible. Besides...even that hallway is more themed than DCA's. It has banners and signs decorated on the walls. The plain walls and doors are NOT visible when you walk down. People are getting way too worked up about this hallway. Upon entering the elevators, the lights are very dark. I couldn't even see it when I rode DCA's had I not used my flash. It does not take away from the ride at all.

Really? Rode it just recently and it was as bright and visible as can be. I can't tell you how many times people have tried to convince me that the DCA "Hallway" is themed to an "employee area" etc, and my response is always "Yeah, it looks like a boring old backstage employee area that was overlooked, and that descriptor is just the excuse they are using."

Seriously, it looks like crap compared to when you walk off the Florida version of the ride and you still feel like you are in the basement area, not some un-themed hallway.

Those photos of the TDS version look no different than DCA.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the "hallway" makes or breaks the actual ride, it's just one area though where you totally lose the depth of the theming, and that kind of sucks.

--Robb

Really? Rode it just recently and it was as bright as can be. I can't tell you how many times people have tried to convince me that the DCA "Hallway" is themed to an "employee area" etc, and my response is always "Yeah, it looks like a boring old backstage employee area that was overlooked, and that descriptor is just the excuse they are using."

Seriously, it looks like crap compared to when you walk off the Florida version of the ride and you still feel like you are in the basement area, not some un-themed hallway.

Those photos of the TDS version look no different than DCA.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the "hallway" makes or breaks the actual ride, it's just one area though where you totally lose the depth of the theming, and that kind of sucks.

--Robb

The TDS version is not unthemed like DCA's. This one is no doubt themed to a backstage area. It's supposed to lead you from the renovated bathhouse to the service elavators, so think of it as a secret path. There are simple details to keep you immersed in the environment. Like I said before, there are banners and signs from the tour plastered on the walls and little details on each individual door. I saw one that said Wine Cellar and one that said Cold Storage. Nothing is unthemed in TDS's hallway, the details are simple enough to keep you entertained. A nice break from the phenomenally detailed interior of the hotel.

^ Um...that's not really from the ride. I believe that's actually a backstage area that leads to the "chicken elevator" and most guests don't actually see that area in the photo you've posted. They area I'm talking about when you exit the ride is the area where you go from the ride to the shop. A really nicely themed area where you see the onride pics and everything.

But nice try!

--Robb

^ Um...that's not really the hallway from the ride. I believe that's actually a backstage area that leads to the "chicken elevator." They "hallway" I'm talking about when you exit the ride is the area where you go from the ride to the shop. A really nicely themed area where you see the onride pics and everything.

But nice try!

--Robb

Oh I see. I was just trying to make a point about how MGM's still has unthemed areas visible to guests. If you have any pictures of that hallway, I would be happy to see them.

Anyways, TDS's is just as themed as MGM's hallway. It's certainly not unthemed by any means and keeps you immersed in the hotel environment. By the way, their post show merchandise area looks really well themed. It's supposed to be a sauna/pool coverted into a shop, and has murals painted on the walls.

Anyways, TDS's is just as themed as MGM's hallway. It's certainly not unthemed by any means and keeps you immersed in the hotel environment.

Ok, well I hope you're right because that's not what I see in this photo:

http://www.toms-net.com/DeepDisney/img/060822tot/tot20060822totz.htm

Granted, the ride isn't open yet, and that might not even be a picture of the "hallway."

Whatever, I really don't care that much about a stupid hallway considering that TDS's version is going to kick so much ass over DCA's anyway simply by the fact that when you exit the the un-themed hallway, you'll be at TDS!

--Robb

Anyways, TDS's is just as themed as MGM's hallway. It's certainly not unthemed by any means and keeps you immersed in the hotel environment.

Ok, well I hope you're right because that's not what I see in this photo:

http://www.toms-net.com/DeepDisney/img/060822tot/tot20060822totz.htm

Granted, the ride isn't open yet, and that might not even be a picture of the "hallway."

Whatever, I really don't care that much about a stupid hallway considering that TDS's version is going to kick so much ass over DCA's anyway simply by the fact that when you exit the the un-themed hallway, you'll be at TDS!

--Robb

Have you seen the video from www.jtcent.com? It shows you a pretty good idea of what the hallway looks like, though it might be a bit more colorful in real life. From what I hear, it's quite nice and fitting of the theme. Even in that picture, there are small details around you. I'll try to do some screenshots.

^ It's pretty much the same as DCA's. Neither hallway is unthemed, they are just VERY minimally themed. DCA's also has little signs and posters, but it's still pretty barren, and it is a very stark contrast from the rest of the ride. I was hoping TDS would throw in some bookcases or artifacts or something to spruce it up...guess not.

MGM's is far better.

^ It's pretty much the same as DCA's. Neither hallway is unthemed, they are just VERY minimally themed. DCA's also has little signs and posters, but it's still pretty barren, and it is a very stark contrast from the rest of the ride. I was hoping TDS would throw in some bookcases or artifacts or something to spruce it up...guess not.

MGM's is far better.

Why does it matter anyways? It's a very short stretch of path that leads you to an excellently themed post show area.

image004.jpg.1dadf7747abe02ba4184205593732447.jpg

Post ride hallway

image002.jpg.7a442a96cae0f1196e5c4446bc02a709.jpg

Post ride hallway

image010.jpg.377b94a7378aae4423dcd9741465097d.jpg

Post ride hallway

image008.jpg.0e6a92c2bcd46a5f1a689e003218c7a8.jpg

Post ride hallway

image006.jpg.ae806b3d15da5679c646377bae112e41.jpg

Post ride hallway

It doesn't matter too much, but Disney used to go the extra mile to make sure the entire experience was well-done. It's like if you're listening to a really great album, and then the last track is recorded poorly or something. The rest of the thing is still awesome, but the contrast between the elements makes it stick out more.

^^ Yeah, that pretty much looks like crap.

Why does it matter anyways? It's a very short stretch of path that leads you to an excellently themed post show area.

It's not like it matters THAT much, but it is the very first thing you see when you exit the ride. And what Wes said really hit it "it is a very stark contrast from the rest of the ride."

Think about the very first thing you see when you exit: Journey to the Center of the Earth, Space Mountain, Rock N Roller Coaster, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, etc. Then compare that to what you see when you exit DCA's and TDS's version of Tower and you really should be able to answer your own question.

--Robb