TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tokyo Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 78 - TONS of new Fantasy Springs info!

The same thing they did to DisneyCA's...nothing.

Whhhhhaaa? I think the upgrades to DL's Space Mountain were *huge* - the whole attraction feels new and modern and the special f/x and new sound track really tie it together.

All I remember in the reviews is that they really didn't change anything.

Whhhhhaaa? I think the upgrades to DL's Space Mountain were *huge* - the whole attraction feels new and modern and the special f/x and new sound track really tie it together.

All I remember in the reviews is that they really didn't change anything.

For me, while there were a lot of upgrades, IMO, there wasn't a lot of "change." Sure they updated some of the effects to the 3 lift hills, but one of the effects just looked like an update to what was there before (to be honest, I didn't noticed until someone showed me what the old version looked like), the 2nd addition was the blue tunnel from Florida, and then the 3rd addition, which is was probably the coolest looking of the 3 lifts, was an update of the "spinning tunnel" effect that was there before.

There were a few FX added inside the mountain, but I actually didn't notice then, again, until someone who was more into Disneyland than I was (and I worked at the park for 4 years) showed me what had changed. I didn't even notice that the ending was different, as for me I just remembered an "explosion" at the end, and even though it's a cooler, updated effect, it's still an "explosion."

What was probably the most impressive upgrade for me was the soundtrack. I really did not care for the "Dick Dale - Space Surf Punk" thing they had before, and this new music track is MUCH, MUCH better.

The other thing that disappointed me about Disneyland's revamp is that I rode the DL version in November, then the Hong Kong Disneyland version in December and WOW, what a difference! Same ride layout, but the HKDL version had MUCH better effects.

I think I would have been more impressed with the Disneyland ride has it been pitched as an "update" but the way the ride was marketed here in So Cal, it was like a BRAND NEW E-TICKET!!!! The TV commercials, bill boards, and radio ads let you to believe it had changed so much that there might have well been a LIM launch and 10 inversions.

And then when you finally get there and see it just had a new paint job, some updated FX, and new music. To be honest, I was very much underwhelmed.

Nice additions and a needed improvement, yes. But for me it didn't live up to the 18 months of hype.

--Robb

They actually changed it alot....

EDIT: Robb, I'm surprised you remembered all the stuff I told you.

Yeah, of course I did!

I really think that people who are really into Disney will most certainly notice and appreciate the changes. I'll be honest, I haven't been the biggest Disneyland fan over the past 5 years or so. Probably because I worked there and it was the park I was at almost every day for about 4 years.

I hadn't actually been on Space Mountain for 2 years before it closed and then I didn't ride it until about 6 months after it re-opened. So it must have been what...about 5 years since the last time I was on it.

I honestly didn't notice most of the changes because I just wasn't that familiar with it. It just seemed very "similar" to me.

But to more hardcore Disneyland fans, it must be like having a much newer ride...and that's cool.

It was kind of like seeing the Star Wars Special Editions where I missed about 75% of the changes and my Star Wars geek friend was able to point out every little explosion they re-did!

--Robb

^ Say it is so!

A quick question here... Was DL's Space Mountain dual tracked at one point and then made to be a single track, or has there always been just one coaster in there? I hope WDW gets the same treatment, I can really notice the positive changes on the west coast version!

I totally disagree!!!!

I hope they never change Florida's Space Mountain! It's our Matterhorn! Seriously I believe that the 'coaster only' section of Florida's is BY FAR the best coaster experience of ANY of the Space Mountains in the World. The one thing I'd be okay with is if they gave it Hong Kongs Music and Effects, but keep the damn rockets with the awesome airtime!

Yeah, Florida is easily the best of all the "coasters" it has airtime, and lots of it, which NONE of the other Space Mountain's have.

I'd love WDW's version to get music, but to be honest, the rest of the ride is just fine. The FX are just as good, IMO, in fact remember, they just recently adopted one of WDW's effects from 1975 into Disneyland's "new" version! So obviously WDW's effects must still be up to date!

Why would you want to change that? Why would you want to make it a clone of all the others? At least it's different.

--Robb "Don't touch WDW's coaster - it kicks total ass!" Alvey

I agree with Robb and Elissa--keep WDW's Space Mountain the same!

The track layout is perfect. It has plenty of great directional changes, lots of good airtime, and pretty good effects. It simply needs music. Plus, I love the in-line seating, which makes me think of the Schwarzkopf "jet" coasters.

It has a great layout, and it's incredibly smooth. Even though the Disney fanboys say that it's "rough", it's not even near rough. In fact, it's really, really smooth. It's just the directional changes toss you around a tad.

In fact, from our high school group that went to WDW, Space Mountain was the favorite coaster by far... nothing was really comparable to it. It won by a landslide, and these are my non-coaster geek friends.

Add music and effects to WDW's, but don't change the tracks. Please!

Yeah I agree, "Space Matterhorn" is just fine the way it is!

5 months is pretty long for a rehab but when was the last time it was down? I know our Matterhorn gones down ever year for a rolling refub where they work on sections at a time. Maybe for TDL they decided to do it all at once.

Maybe with Space down they'll have BTM open in January!

-Don

I have to admit I really do have a soft spot for our WDWs Space Mountain. Even with Everest, Space Mountain is still my favorite coaster(s) in all of WDW. Other than changing the seats on the coasters (use to be 2 to a seat like a bobsled) and a few other differences in the queue, the ride has been unchanged since its opening in 1975. While I would not mind if they add a few new effects, I really hope that they never change the track layout. They did add some of the new Disneyland music at the exit station recently.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's goign to be closed when I go! NO!

I have to admit, being in Tokyo now, it's fun getting the 'last' couple rides on the 'classic' Space Mountain. I especially like the 80s era Epcot stylings all-around the exit and 'chicken exit' areas. I'll have lots of photos, don't worry (I'm already over 1,000) !!!

• 5 months later...

They had some odd concept art posted on the walls around the TDL Space Mountain towards the end of 2006. There was a picture of a long and futuristic spaceship with some electricity around it and that is what I remember, but it looked like it would be pretty nice when it was finished. One thing I noticed in Tokyo Disney- they love using electricity effects in their attractions (Indiana Jones, Journey to the Center of the Earth, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Tower of Terror, etc...)

It's ironic actually, Tokyo is getting the totally brand-new station we were originally supposed to get at Disneyland before ours was budget trimmed. However, theirs will remain without on-board music (which I actually kind of like). As far as on-ride updates go, just general spiffing up, as well as a duplicate of Disneyland's new ending. I think it's awesome to have 5 totally different Space Mountains!

It's ironic actually, Tokyo is getting the totally brand-new station we were originally supposed to get at Disneyland before ours was budget trimmed. However, theirs will remain without on-board music (which I actually kind of like). As far as on-ride updates go, just general spiffing up, as well as a duplicate of Disneyland's new ending. I think it's awesome to have 5 totally different Space Mountains!

Yeah, but now I'll never know what the old Space Mountain looked like!

They had some odd concept art posted on the walls around the TDL Space Mountain towards the end of 2006. There was a picture of a long and futuristic spaceship with some electricity around it and that is what I remember, but it looked like it would be pretty nice when it was finished. One thing I noticed in Tokyo Disney- they love using electricity effects in their attractions (Indiana Jones, Journey to the Center of the Earth, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Tower of Terror, etc...)

You meen the cartoonish photos with the black track and laser lights around it? This is the only picture I got of the wall.

hehe, like I said earlier, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to take an emo shot with it!

-Dainan "Who knows when i'll go back ?" Rafferty

-Dainan "Who knows when i'll go back ?" Rafferty

It really was (before this rehab) an *EXACT* clone of Anahiem's. Of all the rides that could be closed in TDL, this is probably the best one to have be closed! Did you enjoy TDR?

Yeah, but now I'll never know what the old Space Mountain looked like!

EXACTLY like Disneyland's pre-updates. Except their "Space Probe" said "TDL-2000" instead of "DLR-3000", and the 'jets' on the probe were blue lights instead of red. Same deal with the old 'pointy arrows/launch sequence' on the ride. Instead of Red arrows, they were green. Otherwise, the same.... weird huh?