TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Complicated Restraints

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a somewhat intense fear of heights but tatsu made me feel 100% safe.

I'm pretty much the opposite of that, I do have somewhat of a fear of heights, just when I'm on the edges of buildings, but I hate flying coaster restraints and never feel safe in them. I know no ones ever fallen from then or anything, but I just hate them! I think part of it is not having a seat belt and the thought that if the restraint opens during the ride, you'll dangle from your feet before falling to the ground!

Weirdest: Pony Express at Knott's - it's pretty much 'Bondage: The Ride.'

Most idiotic/wtf/I don't have a good feeling about this: Cobra at La Roooonde.

Most redundant: Revolution at SFMM

I'm surprised at how often X2's are mentioned, yet nobody has mentioned the B&M fliers. I think X2's are like a life vest - pull it down and latch the front - I find them both reassuring and comfortable.

As for the B&M fliers.. Let's see - it's an OTSR with a soft, vest-like harness with straps built in, then the OTS bars, and finally, the ankle restraints. And that doesn't include the part where they make you do go doggy style... They could at least call you the next morning after such treatment.

x/x2 the up and down part is cool and the whole butterfly part to close the front is cool, fits snug like a jacket. but one time while i was puting it on i closed the front as i was letting my breath outand it closed to tight and scueezed my chest, i was only able to take about half my normal breath throughout the ride, kinda freaed me

out.

Without a doubt, the most ridiculous ever for slowing down loading times has to be Magnum Force back when it was at Flamingo Land, some bright spark thought it would be wise to retrofit the trains with 5-point racing harnesses.....no joke

Was a nightmare!!!

Montana Infinitum in Mexico City has something similar to what you're describing. I barely was able to fit into it, because of my height.

Montana Infinitum used to be Magnum Force, it moved from Flamingo Land to Mexico in 2007 Yes, they are a pain those restraints!

The Cheetah Hunt/Intamin restraints confuse a ton of people! You have to pull down the restraint, then the buckle is pretty odd looking. I even did a double take when I saw it. Those restraints defiantly slow down load cycles.

The intamin OTSR's shown are fairly easy to get in & out of & I never have any trouble with them on I305.Togo standup restraints can be tricky to get in & out of however due to the lapbar.

B&M Flyers are pretty odd, but people need to understand that those things are so stupidly safe. The only way you're getting out of that is if the whole world heats up to the melting point of steel (around 2500 Fahrenheit) and the steel locking bar melts. At which point you'd be on fire anyway so tbh you wouldn't really care...

B&M Flyers are pretty odd, but people need to understand that those things are so stupidly safe. The only way you're getting out of that is if the whole world heats up to the melting point of steel (around 2500 Fahrenheit) and the steel locking bar melts. At which point you'd be on fire anyway so tbh you wouldn't really care...

They really are. It's impossible to slip out unless the Ankle lock things aren't in place. But if they are, you can't put your body through em, and you can't pull your feet out of them. Perfectly safe.

B&M Flyer you pull down the harness. As you pull it down the foot restraints lock into place. If they don't then a ride op puts them into place. What's so complicated about it?? And you guys are right they do make you feel secure.

I have a somewhat intense fear of heights but tatsu made me feel 100% safe.

I'm pretty much the opposite of that, I do have somewhat of a fear of heights, just when I'm on the edges of buildings, but I hate flying coaster restraints and never feel safe in them. I know no ones ever fallen from then or anything, but I just hate them! I think part of it is not having a seat belt and the thought that if the restraint opens during the ride, you'll dangle from your feet before falling to the ground!

I'm with you Dinn. As much as I loved Tatsu, I could not stand the restraints. I'm not sure if they weren't as tight as they could be or what but I had quite a bit of room between my back and the seat back, kind of unnerving during the rolls. Just have to ride it more to see what/if anything was off a little bit. My vote for odd restraints though is Deja Vu. I've never experienced an OTSR with a seat belt....?

Deja Vu is odd because it wasn't designed like that. Six Flags Over Georgia showcased a Deja Vu car -

However, the final ride had the massive additions like the ones you see above. A new GIB opened in China recently, but I don't know if it has the same system...

KMG Tango's just have the most uncomfortable / strange looking harness ever! Seriously... it's not male friendly at all.

A photo showing the closed harnesses

A photo showing opened harnesses.

The way the ride works is you sit on a small padded (not very much) bit of metal like a bicycle seat and the metal cage comes down over your body. There are seatbelt like straps that are attached and lock TIGHT over them and dig into your neck a little bit as well. You can either hold onto the metal framework or onto 2 bike like handlebars that stick out from the bottom of the seat.

You are lifted 21m into the air and the main arm spins at 21RPM, with the tri-star (where the gondolas are attached) spinning at 16rpm and the seats can also flip and all motions are capable of rotating in a clockwise and counterclockwise motion.

Generally speaking it's a very uncomfortable ride, but if you push the harness down TIGHT it can be comfortable.

Here's a few pics and a video to show you just how fast it spins and how high it goes.

Offride

Onride

I'm with you Dinn. As much as I loved Tatsu, I could not stand the restraints. I'm not sure if they weren't as tight as they could be or what but I had quite a bit of room between my back and the seat back, kind of unnerving during the rolls. Just have to ride it more to see what/if anything was off a little bit. My vote for odd restraints though is Deja Vu. I've never experienced an OTSR with a seat belt....?

Flyers are different in that you can't pull down on the restraints further once they are locked, so make sure you get it down well before you get checked. Also, the foot flaps can be rather annoying for the operators, especially when the rider has their ankles outside the closed restraints.

I'd say TOGO standups are a bit tough since you need to approach the seat from a specific direction. S:ROS at SFNE post accident was pretty complex. Intamin seatbelts are a cinch for regulars, but seriously confuse lots of people. Actually, all seatbelts seem to confuse some people.

• 1 year later...

Honestly, I'm going to say CGA's Grizzly has the most complex setup I've seen. You have your standard seatbelt to go across you, then a 'shared lapbar' (you know how Morgan trains are), then you have a final seatbelt to 'lock' the lapbar...was new for 2012 and it sucks...capacity/efficiency has taken a nose dive regardless how fast the crews try to get everyone loaded...the GP completely disregard it or have difficulty doing such since the belt going from the lapbar to the seat divider just barely makes it.

Most people have problems with seatbelts that lock differently than those in cars - to which they're used to.

Aribus is now considering to to equip new planes with seatbelts locks that work the same way as used to in cars as this speeds up evacuation in case of an emergency.

Here is a photo of the restraints on the new GIB at Jin Jiang Park just outside Shanghai.

http://flic.kr/p/doxqA4

A restraint I remember rather well, not really because it was complicated but more the fact that it scared the **** out of me! It was an knock-off Arrow Loopscrew at some little park in China (can't remember it's name) and I pulled down the OTSR and it didn't click to lock, so i tried it again and nope. The ride op then came along and attempted to explain that it was broken so I started to get out to move seats and he ushered me back in and told me to post the seatbelt through the restraint and lock it in. I was pretty scared throughout that ride.