TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Seeing those pictures of the ride and the overheads of the park, I can totally see the desire to find a shortcut. Like i said earlier, I am unfamiliar with SFoG, but it appears as though they were coming from the overflow lot, and that there is no entrance gate near that side of the park. If they missed the tram, they might look for a way to avoid waiting for the next one (is there a tram?).

And that one part of the coaster looks like it would be confusing to tell where the train would go next if you were underneath it and heard it coming. It seems like he may have been thrown from the inside curve toward one of the supports of the outer curve?

I'd rather not die then save 20 minutes while reentering the park personally...

I have just found out the kid is from my neighborhood! Maybe I'll go to the funeral and do PhotoTR. But in all seriousiness from reading all these comments all I can say is "he who is without sin cast the first stone" approach. Alot of you guys act like you have never did anything life threatening. I say I empathize with the family and im not here to say who is the blame for what because pointing finger wont bring anyone back alive. I wonder if you guys would have the same replies if it was an advent poster from this site that did this. Im sure there would have been some rational explainations for why they were in the restricted area or I could be wrong. Was the kid wrong for being over there, yes. Does that justify calling him a idiot or stupid or anything...no. We are all imperfect and have done things that could have killed us but it didnt.

From the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

"We're awaiting the results of the investigation. We're going to have someone investigate, too," his father said. "We're not blaming the park."

and this

"He didn't do anything wrong," Ferguson said. "He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Wow. Like everyone else said, our hearts go out to the family, but you have to blame the kid. Restricted means restricted, and fences with warning signs should be enough of a deterent not to enter dangerous areas.

But no one in this day and age wants to take responsibility for their own actions. Unfortunate but true.

It's like jumping a fence or even just walking onto a freeway, getting hit, and then blaming the drivers or the highway patrol.

I have just found out the kid is from my neighborhood! Maybe I'll go to the funeral and do PhotoTR. But in all seriousiness from reading all these comments all I can say is "he who is without sin cast the first stone" approach. Alot of you guys act like you have never did anything life threatening. I say I empathize with the family and im not here to say who is the blame for what because pointing finger wont bring anyone back alive. I wonder if you guys would have the same replies if it was an advent poster from this site that did this. Im sure there would have been some rational explainations for why they were in the restricted area or I could be wrong. Was the kid wrong for being over there, yes. Does that justify calling him a idiot or stupid or anything...no. We are all imperfect and have done things that could have killed us but it didnt.

I can definitely see your point, but if someone from this site or a coaster enthusiast in general did something like this I would probably be even more confused as to how they could be so dense as to willingly put themselves in the path of a roller coaster train traveling at those speeds...

"He didn't do anything wrong," Ferguson said. "He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time."
This is adding stupidity on top of stupidity.

Um I beg to differ severely. He did do wrong, very wrong. Hence why he died.

Wow with this kind of outlook, no wonder Southpark is still prosperous.

Alot of you guys act like you have never did anything life threatening.

I realize that we've probably all done some stupid dangerous things. But something like this just boggles the mind. There is no logical reason to be where the kid was.

I simply can not understand how these type of accidents keep happening.

If he wasn't sure about where the train was going to come from he could have waited till the train was in the brake run or at least try to stay as far from the track as possible.

Well, for all we know he actually WAS trying to grab someone's feet.. but to give him a little benefit of the doubt, perhaps he thought the area WAS clear... maybe he didn't realize the ride may run more than one train and made his move once the train passed by. Then, hearing it coming, mistakenly jumped to an area directly in its path.

His biggest mistake, after deciding to enter the area in the first place, may have actually been an attempt to think about the timing in the first place and getting a false sense of security by thinking the whole area would be clear between dispatches, rather than always assuming the entire area was dangerous at all times.

Seeing those pictures of the ride and the overheads of the park, I can totally see the desire to find a shortcut. Like i said earlier, I am unfamiliar with SFoG, but it appears as though they were coming from the overflow lot, and that there is no entrance gate near that side of the park. If they missed the tram, they might look for a way to avoid waiting for the next one (is there a tram?).

And that one part of the coaster looks like it would be confusing to tell where the train would go next if you were underneath it and heard it coming. It seems like he may have been thrown from the inside curve toward one of the supports of the outer curve?

Hear, hear. Maybe he was supposed to meet some hot girl in 10 minutes, though. The brain tends to lose those battles..

Hear, hear. Maybe he was supposed to meet some hot girl in 10 minutes, though. The brain tends to lose those battles..

I can definitely see that happening

heh...

reminds me of my all-time favorite line I've ever read on this site... it was in response to somebody jumping out their window to their death (suicide) at some park hotel. laqueefa: "...but imagine the airtime"

heh...

reminds me of my all-time favorite line I've ever read on this site... it was in response to somebody jumping out their window to their death (suicide) at some park hotel. laqueefa: "...but imagine the airtime"

I REMEMBER THAT ONE TOO!!! And I laughed just as hard....I tried to tell someone (aka-GP) about that and they really didnt find that very funny.

The members of TPR really take death seriously.

Yeah, I try to tell people funny stuff on here all the time and think im an idiot.

I was at a diner at about noon today and I was telling my family about this, and the freakin waitress argued with me and said it was logical for him to get his hat and he couldnt have missed the train "You cant tell where they are, they go SOO fast" I found it rather comical, STUPID GP PEOPLE

My advice to Six Flags: take some of that outrageous parking fee money and invest in some security cameras. Honestly, my only regret about this incident is that is wasn't captured on camera.....and no, not only in the gruesome way in which some of you may think.

My wish is that the parents would sue, only to have Six Flags' lawyers play the tape back during the trial and say, "um, yeah, tell us again how we're at fault here?"

I don't know, perhaps there was a camera somewhere that I don't know about, but it only makes sense in this day in age to protect your assets. Seriously, how many large corporations don't have security cameras up these days? In my mind, if you've got a $10-$20 million investment in plain view of the visiting public, I'd want to have "eyes" on it 24/7. And really, it's so much more than just the physical assests. We're talking about a corporation that's already struggling with PR. Protecting your reputation is just as important at this point.

Not only did this moron put himself at risk, he also put up to 28(?) other people at risk as well. In my mind, I'm fairly certain his objective wasn't to retrieve a hat. Maybe I'm proven wrong in the end, but I'm going out on a limb and thinking he was trying to grab legs. Oh, and I'm not just suggesting physical injury to the riders either. There's mental anguish as well. And if I'm Six Flags, I'd certainly wish I had this act on film right now.

It'd definitely help try to clear things up right about now.

I have just found out the kid is from my neighborhood! Maybe I'll go to the funeral and do PhotoTR.

You need to wear your TPR shirt, too!

I was thinking more in the lines of a "Batman: The Ride LIVES!" shirt. Ok enough of me taking cheap shots at the situation. I dont know why I do but I feel really bad about this situation. I dont know if its because its close to home or not but its really different.\

And if anyone is wondering, the kid was of african heritige. I think thats a first in the black communuity that can be accounted for. First black president and now first black death by coaster!

hey don't blame that on black people because I'm black and none of my family or friends are not dumb as hell to do crap like that!!That kid had developed that all on his own!I feel ashame that kid would do something like that!He was dumb as hell so were his friend!But I send all my blessings to the kid and his family!I can't believe this would happen and I was there two weeks ago!!