TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Thanks for all of the replies especially some insight into the whole Marta/Uber decision. And yes we have plenty of cutters and unsavory types at times at Great Adv so I'm not too worried about it. I'm a big dude so no worries about a physical confrontation lol.

The park actually handles line cutting very well if you choose to pursue action. Actually, any time I have ever had an issue, supervisors are very good at what they do. It is the guests and general employees that can be bad.

Overall, you shouldn't have any issues that are much different from Great Adventure. Very similar crowds.

Face the operator booth on Acrophobia if you can. When you get to the top you will have a great view of Atlanta and all of the park and Goliath. It rotates, but this way you stop at the top facing this way and it gives you a lot of time to take it all in.

Also, in the queue, there are 2 air gates entering the ride. Everyone crowds the one on the right as it is closer to the direction they came from. Go to the left gate. It opens too and you'll be on while everyone else is pushing through the other gate haha.

Completely random tips but work is slow today..

^Oh I have more random tips!

Let's seeee.. on Batman, you can enter through the exit gift shop. Once you go into the gift shop and out the back where the exit ramp comes down to the gift shop, there is a sidewalk that brings you into the queue without walking through the Gotham City Park section of the queue. Doesn't do much good for your first ride, but if you want to go again, that cut through will save you a lot of time.

Also, the back 2 rows are reserved for Flash Pass. If you go back there after your first ride, chances are they won't be full unless you go on a day where Flash Pass is busy.

Same with GASM. There are 2 rows that are blocked off for Flash Pass only and you can often grab a second ride.

Just be very aware of Flash Pass users. If people abuse re-riding without being courteous, the park may change their policy. I'm sure you are fine but some of the "GP" can be so clueless about this.

On Ninja, if you ride once and want to go again, but every row has people waiting, you can go out the exit and where it loops around back past the station, there is a way to enter the station area again (It is where flash pass is supposed to enter). That can save you a long walk around, just don't rush through right in front of people who walked the actual queue line. Also, if you want to ride the first row, pay attention to where the air gates are. The first row is crammed awkwardly and people often think the second row is the first. I would suggest riding in the front seat of the last car though. Much smoother ride.

Goliath also has a nice cut through right at the bottom of the exit ramp, but you have to climb under the queue railing so it's more of a "breaking the rules" kind of thing but people frequently do it and if no one is coming through the queue I have nothing against doing it to avoid going all the way around, through the photo place, gift shop, lockers, etc.

Goliath, Scorcher, and Cyclone have mandatory lockers. Just an FYI.

Don't miss out on checking out the park's carousel. It is 108 years old and from the famous Riverview Park in Chicago. It is in beautiful shape in a beautiful setting. The carousel itself even has some nipple action on the hand carved carriages.

Random tips are great! This is why I love this forum.

Everyone else has really covered most of what I would have said here. I always love to see the TPR community step up like that. I would agree with the general consensus that Uber is a far better option than MARTA in terms of getting to the park on time. It really is worth it to be there early because, as someone else noted, it is very common for them to open the front gate 30 minutes early or so and during that time you can go ahead and knock out Georgia Scorcher and Georgia Cyclone. If you do arrive during that early window before security opens the rest of the park, I would personally get a couple of rides on Scorcher while it’s relatively empty. If the park ends up crowded at all, it will likely have a pretty bad line later in the day due to typically horrendous ops.

Speaking of ops, in my experience they are a complete crapshoot. Some days are fantastic, others are horrendous, and some are mixed with a few rides that are run really well and others run not so well. Usually Dare Devil Dive, Superman, and Scorcher have the worst ops, in that order from worst to less worse. No telling what you’ll get there.

As others have mentioned, get there early and hit Scorcher and Cyclone, then make your way to Dare Devil Dive. You do want to hit it as early as possible because it’s a capacity nightmare and pretty popular. From there, you probably want to head to Gotham for Mindbender and Batman, or head to the back of the park for Superman. I love the way our Superman uses the terrain, and IMO it feels pretty different from the clone at GAdv.

I know that last year Ninja wasn’t open during the first few weeks of park operation because they prioritized annual maintenance on all the other coasters instead and couldn’t get Ninja ready in time. They may do the same thing again this year, but that remains to be seen. If it is open, it’s worth a ride IMO because of the uniqueness of the butterfly loop if nothing else. If not, it’s not a big loss.

As others have noted, Monster Mansion is a must do. It’s a great dark ride that was completely redone a few years back by Sally and part of classic charm this park has. Drop towers aren’t my thing, but Acrophobia is widely considered to be excellent. Even though it’s short, you also can’t miss the original Von Roll Skyride from 1968. It’s nice for avoiding the monster hill in the middle of the park back by Monster Mansion. Mindbender is also must do. It’s a ride that is just plain fun. I second checking out the carousel, it’s a beautiful piece of history.

As others noted, if the weather is nice, it will probably be pretty crowded. This is definitely a park where you can still hit all the majors on a medium-crowded day without FP though. With FP if needed, I think you should have no trouble at all. Most lines remain open for entry right up until the official park closing time. I generally like to end my day with Goliath and try to plan things such that I enter the queue a minute or two before close. If it’s late enough to be dark, a night ride on Goliath is my overall favorite experience in the park and not to be missed.

Though our park may lack in terms of record breaking headliners (El Toro ), I feel it makes up for it in spades with classic southern charm and a generally well cared-for appearance (the one glaring exception being Scorcher’s paint, which is awful...). I hope you enjoy your visit! I may be there around that weekend as well if you want to catch a ride together.

^You made a really good point about Ninja, considering it is on his list of rides he is most looking forward to.

If my memory serves correctly, Ninja has been down for at least the first month (and for as long as the entire spring season leading up to Memorial Day) last year and the year before. Maybe even the year before that.

Ninja was one train operation last season (at least near the end of the season) so that is either a bad sign, or a good sign that one of the trains will be completely ready to go opening day. The second train was not on the transfer track, so clearly it is having some kind of work done, being stored long term to eventually replace the current train, or already being broken down for parts for the existing train. Keep in mind these trains are from the late Great American Scream Machine at SFGAdv, so they have been around a long time.

I hope Ninja is open for you. I know everyone hates it, but I think it is an incredible unique layout, with the unique butterfly loop, and in the magic seat it isn't rough in my opinion.

Just to reiterate, I have ridden Ninja when it was Kamikaze in Wildwood back in the 90's, and quite a few times. I'd only be riding for nostalgic purposes so if there is one coaster that is closed I'm totally OK with it being Ninja. Through I did not realize they ran GASMs old trains on it, interesting. Thanks again for all the tips, keep them coming. I will most definitely get a FP unless it somehow turns into a fluke day where it's deserted. And I'm totally down to meet up with TPRers, especially if I wind up going alone.

I work on Friday's but I would consider heading over in the afternoon at least! Exploring the park with someone who has never visited before is always fun and provides an interesting perspective. It sounds like a few of us are interested, so hopefully if you are alone, someone will meet up with you!

^That seems to be it, but it says these are 44 feet tall (and 59 feet tall with a particular decorative top), while Superman Tower of Power is said to be 65 feet tall. I assume that is just including a custom top or they are getting a custom sized tower, but still it's something I noticed.

I am really excited the new kid's area will come with both this drop tower and the Larson flyers, which are both adult friendly.

Oh hai SFOG thread, its me, I'm back with more questions LMAO.

So after pricing out airfare and a few logistical issues arising my dates for my trip have likely changed. I am talking with my sister (who I'll be stay w/ in Athens) and I'll probably book this today. NOW I am looking at flying in SATURDAY April 16th and heading straight to the park, likely solo for the day, and then making my way back into downtown ATL where I'll get the Megabus out to Athens Saturday night. If I book what I'm looking at, barring any major delays, Id touch down at ATL airport 8:20am on Sat Apr 16th, and either take public transit (red line to blue line to 201 bus to park) or Uber/cab service from airport to SFOG. Or if my sister and her other half decide to join me (fat chance its looking like) they could pick me up and over to SFOG we go. If I don't get there at opening its not a big deal to me other than the potentially ugly wait for DDD (but would it even be an issue with a platinum pass?)

So my big question is how bad are crowds on Saturdays in springtime? I usually hate when people post "I'm going to your park on such and such date, what are crowds going to be like" because its a dumb question but I was really, really hoping to try to go the week of spring break to be able to go on that Monday or Friday. Well, that isn't working out. Again I have FULL INTENTIONS of buying whatever Flash Pass is necessary to get in everything I want to ride (yes, even Platinum) but I just want to know what to expect and I know some of you locals/regulars can offer some insight. Thanks again for all the advice, I'm really looking forward to this trip, and if I'm alone @ the park hope to maybe meet up with some of yall.

Obvious question:

Are they retheming the Canyon Blaster?

Yes.

The theming was really good as it was, so it seems wasteful to me, but hopefully they will do something with the unthemed empty garage looking tunnel the coaster runs through. That was the only hole in the existing theming.

Oh hai SFOG thread, its me, I'm back with more questions LMAO.

So after pricing out airfare and a few logistical issues arising my dates for my trip have likely changed. I am talking with my sister (who I'll be stay w/ in Athens) and I'll probably book this today. NOW I am looking at flying in SATURDAY April 16th and heading straight to the park, likely solo for the day, and then making my way back into downtown ATL where I'll get the Megabus out to Athens Saturday night. If I book what I'm looking at, barring any major delays, Id touch down at ATL airport 8:20am on Sat Apr 16th, and either take public transit (red line to blue line to 201 bus to park) or Uber/cab service from airport to SFOG. Or if my sister and her other half decide to join me (fat chance its looking like) they could pick me up and over to SFOG we go. If I don't get there at opening its not a big deal to me other than the potentially ugly wait for DDD (but would it even be an issue with a platinum pass?)

So my big question is how bad are crowds on Saturdays in springtime? I usually hate when people post "I'm going to your park on such and such date, what are crowds going to be like" because its a dumb question but I was really, really hoping to try to go the week of spring break to be able to go on that Monday or Friday. Well, that isn't working out. Again I have FULL INTENTIONS of buying whatever Flash Pass is necessary to get in everything I want to ride (yes, even Platinum) but I just want to know what to expect and I know some of you locals/regulars can offer some insight. Thanks again for all the advice, I'm really looking forward to this trip, and if I'm alone @ the park hope to maybe meet up with some of yall.

I'll try to answer at least some of these questions!

First, I still suggest you use Uber or a taxi service, because if you have any chance of arriving approximately 45 minutes before opening, it can really affect your day. You could probably get enough done before the crowds build up to prevent needing a Flash Pass at all (although you would potentially have long waits for whatever rides you have left or want to re-ride later in the day). Also, even with Flash Pass, if you arrived before opening, you could ride in your preferred seat on the rides that you otherwise would be forced to sit in a particular row, or in some cases a particularly bad row (GASM).

If you do ride MARTA, keep in mind, the Red Line and the Yellow Line are the same thing up to Lindbergh, where they split. You will be transferring at Five Points, so you can ride Red or Yellow northbound to that point. Basically any train departing the airport is a train that you can ride (North Springs or Doraville). You will need to transfer onto the Blue line west though, and not the Green line west. They alternate every 6 minutes or so at the transfer point. Pay attention to signage as MARTA is fairly notorious for incorrectly marking the electronic signs on the physical train (I saved a tour group trying to get to the airport from boarding a train that said "Airport" on it but was actually traveling on the north track to the far north end of the Red line). Also, I ride MARTA 4 times a week and experience a significant delay approximately once or twice a month. Being stuck on a train for 30+ minutes not moving isn't fun.

As of Holiday In The Park, you need Flash Pass Gold or Platinum to ride Dare Devil Dive and The Joker Chaos Coaster, and to ride Batman more than once. Platinum should still get you a double ride wristband but you may not know for sure until the day of your visit). I don't think that Batman rule applies to the normal season and Joker may no longer be restricted since it isn't in its debut year anymore. DDD will likely still be restricted in some way. This is the SFOG Flash Pass page, but like I said it hasn't been updated since HITP: https://www.sixflags.com/overgeorgia/store/flash-pass

Honestly, your new date (the Saturday after spring break right?) will probably not be any busier than the Friday of spring break. I have experienced weekday (even Tuesday) crowds during spring break that are much worse than the average Spring Saturday. It still could potentially be very busy though.

Sorry my answers are always so long.. I like to help

There is a better chance I could swing by since you are planning on Saturday.

^ I love long answers! The more detailed the better. I love that you guys are responding to me and giving me concrete helpful advice. Happy to announce airfare is booked, and I'm stoked for this trip. Park day is (weather permitting aka as long as its not a washout) Sat April 16th. I really have no clue if I'll be solo or not, but if you guys are around holla!

Thank you for info especially about MARTA. I'm sure as it gets closer I will wind up taking a cab or Uber from the airport but its nice to know of alternative options. I take public transit (SEPTA) from Northeast Philly down to South Philly through center city every day (a total of 4 trains and 2 buses five days a week) so I'm totally used to delays and everyday screwups. Gotta roll with it! If everything went without a hitch I'd be amazed.

Also, what's the deal with FP/Batman? Id really just like to give it a spin as its not like I can't ride it here all the time (let's not even get into how well Great Advs has been running lately) so its not a big deal if I can't get multiple rides but I wonder why that one time FP use thing is about, its not like its new. It does have 2 trains, yes? Was it running both trains during HITP?

Its funny I'm going to SFOG this year and I'm all stoked about it yet there really isn't anything new, which is similar to our CP/Kennywood trip last year (unless you count Rougarou as new). Just the way my life works out LOL. Regardless, I'm excited!

Obvious question:

Are they retheming the Canyon Blaster?

Yes.

The theming was really good as it was, so it seems wasteful to me, but hopefully they will do something with the unthemed empty garage looking tunnel the coaster runs through. That was the only hole in the existing theming.

From what I understand, the tunnel will have a fun house theme.

Also, what's the deal with FP/Batman? Id really just like to give it a spin as its not like I can't ride it here all the time (let's not even get into how well Great Advs has been running lately) so its not a big deal if I can't get multiple rides but I wonder why that one time FP use thing is about, its not like its new. It does have 2 trains, yes? Was it running both trains during HITP?

Its funny I'm going to SFOG this year and I'm all stoked about it yet there really isn't anything new, which is similar to our CP/Kennywood trip last year (unless you count Rougarou as new). Just the way my life works out LOL. Regardless, I'm excited!

I believe it was 1 train during HITP, but so was Mind Bender and it wasn't restricted. I think they did the restriction just because Gotham City was new to HITP and the new rides are in that area (Our park has a really impressive Gotham City at this point). Also, the very back of the park wasn't included in HITP so maybe they were just trying to limit the amount of Flash Passers at Batman. Flash Pass enters through the exit and it gets very congested and hard to get through so they are probably just trying to prevent that traffic jam which can get pretty bad. Batman has always been one of the most popular but its popularity has increased with the expansions to Gotham City and with having Batman Backwards last year. Hopefully they will update the Flash Pass page, but I am assuming that rule will go away.

Our park hasn't added a lot in terms of thrills (other than the standard Super Loop and Star Flyer), but what they have added is well above the usual Six Flags standard (The Gotham City additions are both impressive looking). Also, the park has invested a lot into the infrastructure of the park, so it definitely meets the expectation of being one of the nicest looking parks in the chain.

I highly suggest you ride Thunder River during your visit. It is the most realistic looking rapids ride I have ever seen, and the rapids after the second tunnel are insane. You hit them so hard the entire side of the raft that hits them gets covered above the riders heads. If you don't mind being soaked.

There is a building with a balcony that overlooks the ride just down to the right of the Rabun Gap Train Station with a great view and really good water cannons that blast riders hard. If you continue to the right of that building, that pathway will cut through to Lickskillet and the back of the park without having to go through the traffic jam around the entrance to Monster Mansion. It's a great little cut through if you are heading from the USA section to the back of the park.

^ Once again, thank you for your advice! The bits about shortcuts are super handy, more stuff like that. Haha. Also will the water rides (Thunder River, Splash Water Falls) be open in mid-April? I'm not a big water ride guy, flumes are fun but I'm more of a you-done-one-you-done-em-all (sorry coasterBill!) type LOL.

I highly suggest you ride Thunder River during your visit. It is the most realistic looking rapids ride I have ever seen, and the rapids after the second tunnel are insane. You hit them so hard the entire side of the raft that hits them gets covered above the riders heads. If you don't mind being soaked.

There is a building with a balcony that overlooks the ride just down to the right of the Rabun Gap Train Station with a great view and really good water cannons that blast riders hard. If you continue to the right of that building, that pathway will cut through to Lickskillet and the back of the park without having to go through the traffic jam around the entrance to Monster Mansion. It's a great little cut through if you are heading from the USA section to the back of the park.

This is true!! Awesome rapids ride.. I have gotten bloody fingers and scrapes on it several times from being knocked around.. But it's a fun knocked around. I love it ha-ha..

^ Once again, thank you for your advice! The bits about shortcuts are super handy, more stuff like that. Haha. Also will the water rides (Thunder River, Splash Water Falls) be open in mid-April? I'm not a big water ride guy, flumes are fun but I'm more of a you-done-one-you-done-em-all (sorry coasterBill!) type LOL.

Thunder River is definitely worth it just because it is so realistic visually and also very intense for a rapids ride. You get thrown around a good bit, pick up speed in the tunnel which causes the boat to feel like it will capsize when you hit the rapids at the end (it literally covers half the boat entirely), and between the waterfalls, the more intense rapids, and the high power water cannons, you will get either wet or completely drenched. The water cannons are tons of fun to operate.

Log Jamboree is fun, but short. If the line isn't long and you don't feel tight on time it's a fun ride, but it isn't a must ride at all.

Splashwater Falls is a standard boat chute ride that is not worth riding. Even if you have time, there are too many better rides to go on.

All of the water rides used to open on opening day, but that isn't the case anymore. However, I believe they are always open by spring break so you should be fine. I have seen them not operate Thunder River on oddly colder days in April, but that's rare.

Don't miss Canyon Blaster (soon to become Joker Funhouse Coaster). It may seem like a kiddie coaster, and it is short, but in the back row you actually get some decent ejector air on the first drop, and the ride goes pretty fast. The funhouse theming should add to it as well. Dahlonega Mine Train is also a fun one, but it will beat you up a bit with its hard seats. If you ride near the back the rows don't line up in the queue so there is always a ton of confusion. People try to take my row all the time because it looks like their row.

Acrophobia is rather terrifying with its stand up seats and 15 degree tilting of the seats at the top. It makes it much scarier than the rest of the third gen Intamin drop towers.

The bacon cheddar ranch waffle fries to the left once you enter the park are ridiculously tasty. They have them with chicken as well. Really good quality. Miner's Cookhouse in Lickskillet is pretty good quality and one of the nicer indoor dining options. The wild west comedy gunfight show is just outside and is an SFOG staple. It's a great way to spend your time eating so if you line up your lunch with the show that's a great way to do it. Daddy'Os BBQ is also pretty good. The front of the park has a deli which has some healthier options and I know Big Mo's on The Square has turkey burgers and black bean burgers.

Food lines get ridiculous and are very slow so you might want to avoid prime meal times if the park is crowded. I waited for over an hour at Big Mo's on a busy day.

That's it for today's segment of tips and rambling!