Rebel Yell Kings Dominion VA,y,y,23

GhostRider Knott's Berry Farm CA,y,y,24

The Grizzly Kings Dominion VA,y,y,25

The Grizzly Great America CA,y,y,26

Thunderhawk Dorney Park PA,y,y,27

Hell Cat Clementon Lake NJ,y,y,28

Hurler Kings Dominion VA,y,y,29

Mean Streak Cedar Point OH,y,y,30

I hurts me to rank Ghostrider so poorly, but not as much as it hurts to ride these days.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine was very easy, as I haven't been able to afford to go anywhere in years, and I've only been on a grand total of 3 woodies... sigh.

My Favorite Steel Anypark Anywhere **,y,n,1

Giant Dipper Belmont Park CA,y,n,2

Big Dipper Camden Park WV,y,n,3

Lil' Dipper Camden Park WV,y,n,4

Favorite steel coaster is Tennessee Tornado. That'll be there for a long time unless a miracle happens soon.

Voting complete!

Always feels strange to rank coasters I haven't ridden in a while. And it's also strange when I know my limited experiences with certain coasters aren't always in line with others' experiences - for example, I've got The Voyage ranked as #14, Hell Cat (Clementon Lake) at #16 (it was still J2 when I last rode it), GhostRider at #55. Knowing others' opinions of these rides, I suspect I may have gotten lucky and caught them on above-average days. If I'd ridden these ones this year, they'd probably rank lower on my list - but I can only go by my own experiences.

And the 2010 winners are:

(Number 1 - Favorite Steel Coaster - Expedition GeForce)

1. Balder (Liseberg)

2. El Toro (Six Flags Great Adventure)

3. Boulder Dash (Lake Compounce)

4. Ravine Flyer II (Waldameer)

5. Colossos (Heide Park)

6. Troy (Toverland)

7. Thunderhead (Dollywood)

8. El Toro (Freizeitpark Plohn)

9. Rutschebanen (Bakken)

10. The Beast (Kings Island)

And the 2010 walk of shame:

110. Regina (Tobu Zoo)

111. Wild Beast (Canada's Wonderland)

112. White Canyon (Yomiuriland)

113. Predator (Darien Lake)

114. Anaconda (Walygator Parc)

115. Mean Streak (Cedar Point)

116. Grizzly (California's Great America)

117. Antelope (Gulliver's Warrington)

118. Son Of Beast (Kings Island)

119. Bandit (Movie Park Germany)

... And it's also strange when I know my limited experiences with certain coasters aren't always in line with others' experiences...

That kind of thing bothers me a bit about my rankings. It kinda weirds me out seeing how much I differed from the norm with some of my 2010 coaster experiences. Oh, well! I know I'm not completely alone in my opinions.

Popular woodies I didn't "get" the same way most seem to: Apocalypse, Raven, Cornball Express, American Eagle, Viper

Currently unpopular woodies I enjoyed (sorry if I bring this up too often!): Ghostrider, Timber Wolf, Voyage, Hades

I kind of like Timber Wolf and, oddly enough, Georgia Cyclone, at least in the second-to-last seat, where Erik (whose opinion I respect) told me I should sit. I enjoyed some crazy airtime on GC, but I can understand why a lot of poeple hate it--other riders were complaining about being beaten up. (Still, a truly great, or even good, ride should have more than one "good" seat.)

^ Georgia Cyclone is one of the two rides that are so rough that they actually make me laugh while I'm riding them, because I'm in total disbelief about what they're doing to me.

The other is LoCoSuMo. I ranked both in the 'high medium' range. I guess laughter really is the best medicine.

I had not experienced many of the higher rated wooden coasters around the USA

2010 changed that for me,riding many great woods for the first time.

El Toro & Boulder Dash easily my 2 favorite.

1 El Toro SFGAd NJ

]2 Boulder Dash Lake Compounce CT

3 Tonnerre de Zeus Parc Asterix FR

4 Colossos Heide Park DE

5 The Voyage Holiday World IN

6 Ravine Flyer II Waldameer PA

7 Terminator Salvatio S. F. Magic Mountain CA

8 Troy Toverland NL

9 Lightning Racer - L Hersheypark PA

10 Lightning Racer - T Hersheypark PA

11 Phoenix Knoebel's PA

12 Silver Comet Martin's Fantasy Is. NY

Edited by therooboy

The "PTC Seat," as I call it, which is the front row of the back car, almost NEVER gives a bad ride. It doesn't matter if you're in the roughest incarnation of a wooden coaster ever built, that row on a PTC train is always good, and rarely as rough as anywhere else in the back of the train. It's easily my favorite place to ride on most woodies that use PTC trains. It's basically the same way with Arrow trains.

And as far as GhostRider goes, it's my #10 because the rides I got on it during WCB last year (specifically during nighttime ERT) were incredible. Maybe it was because it had just come off a rehab session, but it really only had one or two spots that I would characterize as uncomfortably rough, but I even had a spin or two on wheel seats and was clamoring for more every time. That layout is just batshit crazy, and I wish they could get it to run more consistently so that it could start gaining its recognition back again.

^The PTC seat is legit! Works like a charm on HellCat, for one! I made sure to try that on Ghostrider, as well as the front and...yes...the very back. I don't recall much of a difference, though. I thought Ghostrider had a pretty intense first drop and some decent airtime, but somehow after 4 laps, I just didn't find it particularly memorable.

The "PTC Seat," as I call it, which is the front row of the back car, almost NEVER gives a bad ride. It doesn't matter if you're in the roughest incarnation of a wooden coaster ever built, that row on a PTC train is always good, and rarely as rough as anywhere else in the back of the train. It's easily my favorite place to ride on most woodies that use PTC trains. It's basically the same way with Arrow trains.

Agreed. Totally 100% agreed.

And as far as GhostRider goes ... That layout is just batshit crazy, and I wish they could get it to run more consistently so that it could start gaining its recognition back again.

*sigh* Also agree... I have not ridden it with this new midcourse brake thing...and I'm not even sure I want to. The last rides I had on it were also at West Coast Bash last year, and for my Ghostrider rides they were in the "ok" category.... if this midcourse thing is actually happening, I might just completely give it a miss this year.

Ballot submitted. Top ten didn't change much at all. I can't see anything breaking into the top five especially, unless another Intamin wooden coaster is built somewhere. dt

Yea, I agree. Unless an Intamin woodie is built here in the states, I just don't see any woodie coming close to cracking my top 3. ...which is El Toro, Phoenix, and Boulder Dash.

• 2 weeks later...

This is why Georgia Cyclone and Voyage rides are pure bliss to me.

I just received this e-mail from Mitch Hawker (I'm sure everyone else did too):

Hello and Thanks Again for participating in this year's poll.

I have received 322 ballots in the three weeks since the poll opened on January 15th. That sounds like a lot but it is way behind the pace of last year when there 730 ballots.

It would be a shame if this year's results were in any way diminished in perception due to diminished participation.

Ballots are currently coming in at only about 4 per day.

You can help by reminding your coaster loving friends via e-mail, message boards, and any other technology that you can pester them with that there is little more than a week and a half left for them to cast their ballot before this year's Wood Poll deadline of February 15th.

Thank You,

Mitch Hawker

Come on guys, the coaster community is slacking!

That's good to know about the "PTC row," I'll have to start trying that row and paying attention. Mean Streak will be a good test.

I tried it on the Carowinds Hurler on a few occasions this past season, and even that was semi-bearable. The only really bad part was the first drop, and after that it wasn't bad at all.

Did my ballot and KT's!

I'll post my top 20 and bottom 5 for your perusal as well as KT's full ballot.

1 El Toro SFGAd

2 Balder Liseberg

3 My Favorite Steel Anypark Anywhere

3 T Express Everland

4 Phoenix Knoebel's

5 Colossos Heide Park

6 Boulder Dash Lake Compounce

7 Cyclops Mount Olympus

8 Grand National Blackpool

9 Tonnerre de Zeus Parc Asterix

10 Fireball Happy Valley Song

11 Aska (S) Nara Dreamland