TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

^ To be honest, why would you write that? You kind of just sound pretty dumb in that response. It's already been two days now since we made the $1 donations. I think she would have learned her lesson. On top of that, your spelling and grammar is terrible. No one is going to take you seriously when you write like that.

If you're trying to prove a point, or be funny, that's one thing. But your post does neither of those two things. It's embarrassing.

--Robb "Ashamed that one of our members posted that." Alvey

Oh ok. That's fine his comment didn't really seem to be that bad to me. I have a history of bad grammar.

Robb When you went there as a Six flags park, was it a fairly decent park, or one that would have been doomed to Astroworld's fate?

Edited by CCI

and I have a history of bad grammar.

Robb When you went the as a Six flags park was it a fairly decent park

I think you need to work on that bad grammar ASAP. I had to read that sentence several times before I could figure out what the heck it was you were saying! Please proofread and spellcheck before hitting the post button. It doesn't take long to do and it makes it a WHOLE lot easier for others reading your posts.

Thank you!

^ Want a flow chart?

Geauga Lake builds Big Dipper -> Six Flags buys the park and builds a bunch of unnecessary coasters to try to compete with Cedar Point -> Six flags gets into trouble and Cedar Fair buys Geauga Lake -> Now GL is way too big for its target market, so CF liquidates it -> A dumb girl tries this elaborate, childish effort to save a coaster that was, at best, a so-so ride -> The Big Dipper is still sitting there going into disrepair until at some point it will be torn down and after 3 years, nobody will care anymore.

Hope that helps.

The Big Dipper is still sitting there going into disrepair until at some point it will be torn down and after 3 years, nobody will care anymore.

James, I believe this is the only part you had wrong. Somehow, there will always be at least one Ohioan who cares more than they should about this pile of wood, whether it's still standing or not.

Based on what I've seen written at the Geauga Lake forum, they probably think Kinzel is actually this man . . .

Simon Barsinister! Arch enemy of Underdog!

Edited by cfc

^ Want a flow chart?

Geauga Lake builds Big Dipper -> Six Flags buys the park and builds a bunch of unnecessary coasters to try to compete with Cedar Point -> Six flags gets into trouble and Cedar Fair buys Geauga Lake -> Now GL is way too big for its target market, so CF liquidates it -> A dumb girl tries this elaborate, childish effort to save a coaster that was, at best, a so-so ride -> The Big Dipper is still sitting there going into disrepair until at some point it will be torn down and after 3 years, nobody will care anymore.

Hope that helps.

Hahaha...thank you.

Maybe if I just waited an hour for the IAAPA newsletter to come out....I would have been all caught up:

www.wkyc.com/news/regional/akron_article.aspx?storyid=169452&catid=6

BAINBRIDGE -- Four months after it looked like Geauga Lake's Big Dipper roller coaster was saved from imminent demolition, the buyer and seller -- who both have highly differing stories -- have voided the deal and the coaster's fate is now unknown.

New Zealander Harold Garmonsway and Ohio college student Kat Jones, two coaster enthusiasts who met online in a coaster forum, agreed in mid-September, 2010 to buy the coaster from Tom Woosnam, an Akron-based agent for the owner who has never been identified.

The owner had tried to sell the coaster for $65,000 on eBay from April, 2010 until Sept. 6, 2010. Getting no response, the coaster, built in 1925 by John Miller, was set for demolition. That's when Garmonsway and Jones contacted Woosnam with their offer.

According to Woosnam, Garmonsway and Jones sent some of the down payment Sept. 29 and were told the rest of the down payment was due Sept. 30. That "rest" of the down payment never arrived, Woosnam said.

Jones says "We sent them a down payment, with the agreement that the rest of the money would be paid after paperwork had been completed, showing the legal transfer between the two parties."

"After the owners received the down payment, we were declared, both publicly and privately, to be the new owners. It has been our belief since that day that we were, indeed, the owners of the coaster. It was announced by the owner, Mr. Woosnam, to the news media in Cleveland that we had taken ownership of the coaster as of (Sept. 30)."

Jones's savethebigdipper.org website is still operating for now and you can read her entire statement there.

Her last posting on Jan. 11 was "Under legal advice, Harold and I have decided it is in our best interest to accept the break of our sale agreement and walk away. We do not know what this means for the future of the Big Dipper, but we do know that it will likely not involve us."

Woosnam told Channel 3 today that the owner has not yet decided what to do with the Big Dipper now.

Geauga Lake amusement park closed Sept. 21, 2007. The landmark Big Dipper was first sold at auction June 17, 2008 to the unknown buyer when Woosnam made the only bid of $5,000. The coaster still stands on the 550-acre property that straddles Bainbridge and Aurora.

Sandusky-based Cedar Fair owns the former Geauga Lake, the adjacent Geauga Lake's Wildwater Kingdom that is still in operation, Cedar Point in Sandusky, Kings Island in Cincinnati, and other amusement parks and water parks in North America.

Now that all the rides except the Big Dipper are gone, Cedar Fair has been trying to sell the amusement park property for three years without success.

Jones says the only deadline for money she knew of was Sept. 30, 2011, from an email she has, a deadline for the full payment to be made. She also says she never received a sale agreement in writing from Woosnam.

Woosnam says any email she may have with a Sept. 30 deadline was the deadline for the down payment in 2010.

Woosnam tells Channel 3 that, since he did not even receive the full down payment, he did not send the paperwork to Jones or Garmonsway.

Woosnam says Jones wouldn't meet with him and Jones says Woosnam wouldn't meet with her, always having "conflicting plans when I visited the area."

Jones told Channel 3 today "If (Woosnam) still wants to sell the coaster, I am more than willing to negotiate a new, reasonable payment arrangement, within the safety of signed legal paperwork."

Jones told Channel 3 last month that a relocation venue for the Big Dipper had been secured, a relocation company had been hired and a large portion of the money needed for the relocation had been secured through private funding.

Jones told Channel 3 today "If (Woosnam) still wants to sell the coaster, I am more than willing to negotiate a new, reasonable payment arrangement, within the safety of signed legal paperwork."

Looks like she did not learn her lesson

EDIT: To BeemerBoy's point, I removed "Maybe"

Edited by OISU8P

^ "Maybe"?

In related news, WSTFU is reporting places like these would like to personally thank Kat Jones for her misguided and selfish attempts to try and save a rotting pile of wood that only a few Ohioans care about, rather than doing something proactive and admirable with her money.....like helping humanity.

Great job, Kat! Stick with it. You only become more irritating by the day.

Why does she need a payment plan if private funding has been secured? Doesn't make much sense to me. And we all know the numbers that were floating around on the sale price...

Jones told Channel 3 last month that a relocation venue for the Big Dipper had been secured, a relocation company had been hired and a large portion of the money needed for the relocation had been secured through private funding.

I guess 384 dollars goes a long way these days, oh, wait, she refunded some of it

Edited by chadster

^As a former news reporter of more than a dozen years, I can attest that within the realm of fact checking, libel and slander, the news station is in the clear since they used the phrase "She said." Stories like these aren't really the kind most reporters will spend time "investigating"; in fact, most of them would lose their jobs if they wasted more than an hour on something this frivolous. I'm sure it's even more strict now that news agencies are losing money faster than J.K. Rowling makes it.

Unless it's a landmark like Coney Island's Cyclone, a story about someone trying to save an amusement park ride falls somewhere on the "legitimate news" scale between missing puppies and giant snowmen. (One of the papers I worked for actually had a "no snowman photos" policy for us reporters to cite whenever someone got on our case about not driving 28 miles to take a picture of their kid's misshapen pile of snow.)