TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

Have you ever been to Holiday World during the summer peak season? May and June are slow months, July and August, they are packed. In fact, they are advising people not to visit this Saturday because of other picnics adn stuff. I know of one company picnic and probably a few others plus you got some people who might come because they don't want to go to the Con at Beach bend all day.

^ What are you talking about?

--Robb "Your posts are making less and less sense each time you write." Alvey

Each time I've been to Holiday World, weekdays in June and July, the waterpark has been extremely busy, yet all of the coasters on the ride side were walk-on to 10min wait. That was the exact same thing I experienced at Geauga Lake the last times I visited it. But yet, I don't hear anything about Holiday World closing down soon.

My point is, how do we know that Geauga Lake is doing so poorly financially? Is anyone on here in charge of Cedar Fair's budget?

The park simply doesn't need 10 coasters anymore with the attendence they now get. I think removing 3 rides is a great way to get your attractions to reflect your attendence.

I don't see why we have all these comments about how the park is "going to close soon." How does removing 3 rides signify that the park will close soon? Its just means Geauga Lake will operate more effeciently. Nothing wrong with that.

^ What are you talking about?

--Robb "Your posts are making less and less sense each time you write." Alvey

Each time I've been to Holiday World, weekdays in June and July, the waterpark has been extremely busy, yet all of the coasters on the ride side were walk-on to 10min wait.

Weekdays in June are less busy because work and school is still in session or just out. And in July, they suggest going in the week. Another thing is the weather, if it is 95 and 100% humidity, were will you be? Water park or riding dry rides. I personally would be on the coasters because the lines would be short. Also, this is a small park, some people would rather go to Six Flags or Cedar Point. LAst year was the biggest amount of people to visit the park, which was over a million for the first time. Most other parks get atleast that, if not more.

The fact that they moved the water park over to the old Sea World location makes me wonder if that might actually come true.

They'd still have a water park to operate, which would probably be more successful for the area than a rides park, and they could sell off that land where the rides currently sit.

Seems to make a lot of sense to me.

My wife and I were talking about that same thing. It is obvious that Cedar Point is not going to bulk up its waterpark anytime soon and it is very obvious that the ride park at GL is going no where fast. Close the ride park and put condos on that side and then just operate the waterpark. It is not like it will be any big loss to close the ride side as NO ONE goes to THAT side.

Honestly, I cannot get over how FEW rides there really are on the RIDE side. 32 and that is including the kiddie rides and the ones over in "Happy Harbor".

Where should the rides go?

-Head Spin (Boomerang) - MiA

-Thunderhawk (SLC) - Valleyfair

-Dominator (B&M Floorless) - WoF

-Beaver Land Mine Ride -

-Americana (ferris wheel) - WoF

-Pepsi Plunge (flume ride) - CP

-Texas Twister (TopSpin) - MiA

-Starfish (Wipeout) - CP (put near the Galleon)

Scrapped/Burned/Sold

-Double Loop (Arrow two looper)

-Big Dipper

-Skyscraper

-Shipwreck Falls

-Time Warp (Double Inverter)

-Raging Wolf Bobs

-Villain

-Haybaler (Alpine Bobs)

-Dodgem

-Merry Oldies (Antique Cars)

-Random Kiddie Rides

^ Yeah, if I was CF, I'd trash Big Dipper, RWB, Villian, and Double Loop.

--Robb

Trash Big Dipper? I love Big Dipper that was my first "real" Coaster.

I hate that ride so much. I gave it a 1/10 in my CF ratings. I have ridden it probably about 4 or 5 times total. I don't know if it's just maybe I didn't brace myself right or what, but every single time, it gave me a sore neck that didn't go away for weeks.

I hate that ride so much. I gave it a 1/10 in my CF ratings. I have ridden it probably about 4 or 5 times total. I don't know if it's just maybe I didn't brace myself right or what, but every single time, it gave me a sore neck that didn't go away for weeks.

Big dipper has awful trains that are fashioned for midgets. My legs don't fit in right, and I'm only ~6'2".

If they'd install some PTCs and do a little track work, Big Dipper could be a pretty neat little ride. There aren't too many John Miller coasters left. I say preserve it.

And junk Raging Wolf Bobs!

Big Dipper was trying to slam me into the ground in the back seat last Wednesday. It was bottoming out so bad in the valleys. I only rode once.

That pic is priceless. Everyone is all "when the heck are they going to get me off this thing!"

I think that was the black train, and I rode it Wednesday in the silver regular G-train.

I may be wrong, but I think the black train came from Villain.

^ Yeah, if I was CF, I'd trash Big Dipper, RWB, Villian, and Double Loop.

--Robb

Trash Big Dipper? I love Big Dipper that was my first "real" Coaster.

It is all the trains. I believe it used to have PTCs and no seatbelts meaning tons of Airtime I am not sure what trains it has now. I love the ride itself but not the trains.

Big Dipper runs NAD trains that have been slighltly modified recently with the addition of the seatbelt and GIGANTIC amounts of padding. I'm six feet tall and I just barely fit in the cars. I personally have no problem with the ride's roughness however. This ride is one of my favorites as I truly love classic old wooden coasters like the Big Dipper.

Back on topic, however, I visited the park yesterday and got a good look at RWB. There were 4-5 tension cables that had broken and there was a 25-35 foot section that was severely damaged. From Dominator, it was clearly visible that there were several track ties that were completely missing or destroyed. There was also still some wood lying on the ground from the damaged track. I hope they figure out the problem as this is actually a fun coaster that really adds to Geauga Lakes's lineup.

I guess in a way, it's official! All we have to do now is wait for the track and serveying markers to appear.

By the way, does anyone know what that photo that they keep talking about, looks like?