TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Over The Shoulder Restraints. (OTSRs)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only ever been on two extremely comfortable OTSRs actually. Kingda Ka and Stormrunner, the design is just brilliant...

Actually, I experienced a bit of neck-chopping on Storm Runner. Not sure why, when I read about other people's rides on it.

I think our respective heights might have something to do with that.

In a lot of cases OTSRs are really useful; Intamin coasters are a great example. Maverick, Storm Runner, I305...they are all really twisty-turny coasters which cause lateral G's which could potentially throw your entire body out the side of the train. Loops cause your neck to fall forward if you're not careful, too. I know if Arrow loopers had only lapbars, you'd be riding the ride with your head in your knees. OTSR's really do suck and people do complain that they cause a lot of head-chopping/neck-chopping, but without them roller coasters would be dangerous and potentially even more painful. Granted, there are ways they could be designed better (i305's new straps...), but they are quite necessary if the coaster generates enough lateral G's.

Moral of the discussion -

It's always a good idea (and cheaper) to install safer and more redundant (but restrictive) restraints than to risk making a few people more comfortable when they're wailing their hands up in the air...while increasing the chances of a catastrophic incident.

I beg to differ -

White Water Falls, California's Great America, back row. You don't wet (usually) and you *FLOAT* on that second dip. One of the better kept secrets of that park - REVEALED!

(No restraints period - until some litigious attorney reads this post, whoops!)

I have thought for at least ten years that OTSRs are almost completely pointless. If a ride's train is designed to keep your knees above your rear end at all times then it is physically impossible to get out of a lapbar system. A height requirement, thorough design, and competent operators would be enough for any rollercoaster to avoid OTSRs.

Blue Fire inverts in all directions, it has Lap Bars. The Larson Ring of Fire is a ride with MASSIVE hangtime(6+ seconds) and it keeps your back firmly against its rest at all times. All sit-down rides could operate safely with the right restraint design.

Blame Arrow. And blame Vekoma, Intamin, and several other companies for designing exceptionally poor restraints.

^ I thought the ring of fire rides had OTSRs...

Apparently the ones with cages only have lap bars. That must be why they have cages! I'd never really thought about it before, as I've only ridden the ones with OTSRs.

I have thought for at least ten years that OTSRs are almost completely pointless. If a ride's train is designed to keep your knees above your rear end at all times then it is physically impossible to get out of a lapbar system. A height requirement, thorough design, and competent operators would be enough for any rollercoaster to avoid OTSRs.

Blue Fire inverts in all directions, it has Lap Bars. The Larson Ring of Fire is a ride with MASSIVE hangtime(6+ seconds) and it keeps your back firmly against its rest at all times. All sit-down rides could operate safely with the right restraint design.

Blame Arrow. And blame Vekoma, Intamin, and several other companies for designing exceptionally poor restraints.

Just out of curiosity...are you talking about Intamin's T-Bar?

Dear Six Flags Magic Mountian,

PLEASE take out the OTRS off revolution! Restore the classic ride!

YES! That would be a good 50th birthday present, our at least part of one. I know they can't justify the expense of doing that but if I had another million dollars I would totally pay for the conversion and the removal of the trims, it would totally be worth it!

Their T-bars are a mixed bag. The thin, open design is great for ride enjoyment, but the restraint's angle on the body is off (essentially it sits too low), and they don't block enough leg movement (I.E it's a bit easy to move around in them). I can easily see why these require seatbelts.

I was referring moreso to their sit down OTSR's. Really thin, HARD plastic designed to sit at the neckline of the average male and the ears of the average female. They're great if you want to feel like you're being chopped with a blunt knife edge(Note: I don't even have on-ride problems with them, but anyone could see that they really suck). I highly approve of any sort of soft, vest reconfigurement of these.

In fact, I'm REALLY in favor of parks adopting softer OTSR restraints. Would make every rough coaster...less painful!

YES! That would be a good 50th birthday present, our at least part of one. I know they can't justify the expense of doing that but if I had another million dollars I would totally pay for the conversion and the removal of the trims, it would totally be worth it!

Yes... but then park managment will have to come up with a new "April Fools Joke" at West Coast Bash next year.

Yes... but then park managment will have to come up with a new "April Fools Joke" at West Coast Bash next year.

I've never attended, what is the joke?

I beg to differ -

White Water Falls, California's Great America, back row. You don't wet (usually) and you *FLOAT* on that second dip. One of the better kept secrets of that park - REVEALED!

Yea, WWF is kind of a hidden jewel. Sitting in the back of the boat, I've gotten some pretty decent air (as in my butt was completely off the seat by several inches). The log ride provides some nice floater air as well and that has no restraints (as with any log flume in that matter). Looking at other non-coaster rides that invert, the enterprise ride (Again CGA has one) nearly inverts riders and only thing keeping you in is your grip, some force, and a locking roof. No seatbelts to hold you in place.

It would be nice to have only lapbars on these coasters but I don't see that happening anytime soon. If it isn't broken, why fix it? Demon (Again, another CGA example, an Arrow corkscrew) is often described as rough but depending on the rider's height, their head may never even make contact with the restraints. My head has yet to smash itself on the restraints. With some rides also providing some hangtime, a shoulder restraint may be more necessary.

I'm 5' 11" and have never banged my head until it was painful on any coaster and I'd say I'm fairly average height.

The restraints are there for a good reason. I think you are tying to compare two different rides here. One custom Intamin to the next is very different, but if one Mega lite had OSTRs and another identical one had T-bars, then it would be a more valid test to see which was the most comfortable. A standardized restraint also keeps the production cost down and gives the ability to buy in bulk that could keep a rider safe, not necessarily comfortable, and design the ride around what the restraints can withstand.

I beg to differ -

Yea, WWF is kind of a hidden jewel. Sitting in the back of the boat, I've gotten some pretty decent air (as in my butt was completely off the seat by several inches). The log ride provides some nice floater air as well and that has no restraints (as with any log flume in that matter). Looking at other non-coaster rides that invert, the enterprise ride (Again CGA has one) nearly inverts riders and only thing keeping you in is your grip, some force, and a locking roof. No seatbelts to hold you in place.

It would be nice to have only lapbars on these coasters but I don't see that happening anytime soon. If it isn't broken, why fix it? Demon (Again, another CGA example, an Arrow corkscrew) is often described as rough but depending on the rider's height, their head may never even make contact with the restraints. My head has yet to smash itself on the restraints. With some rides also providing some hangtime, a shoulder restraint may be more necessary.

The only flats with OTSR's that I've found to be painful are KD's berserker & crypt....zamperla's roto-shake had some fairly comfortable restraints,that is if they weren't locked down too tightly.