TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Over The Shoulder Restraints. (OTSRs)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really think they're necessary on standard sit down loopers, but in the modern world of lawyers and insurance premiums, it's a way to keep them satisfied. Although on Intimidator 305, I think they're abit overkill as the ride doesn't even have any inversions.

Although one thing I should mention, Dive Machine coasters. I don't think there is any alternative for OTSRs on those rides that I can think of. Because of the way the train is held 90 degrees, gravity would cause you to fold in half basically (meaning your head will be on your knees). Try this, stand against a wall and bend over 90 degrees. Do you fall over?

I don't really think they're necessary on standard sit down loopers, but in the modern world of lawyers and insurance premiums, it's a way to keep them satisfied. Although on Intimidator 305, I think they're abit overkill as the ride doesn't even have any inversions.

Although one thing I should mention, Dive Machine coasters. I don't think there is any alternative for OTSRs on those rides that I can think of. Because of the way the train is held 90 degrees, gravity would cause you to fold in half basically (meaning your head will be on your knees). Try this, stand against a wall and bend over 90 degrees. Do you fall over?

No, I do not actually.

No, I do not actually.

You may not fall over, but it requires work to hold yourself like that for longer than a second. It would be a very uncomfortable six seconds if they had only lapbars.

No, I do not actually.

You may not fall over, but it requires work to hold yourself like that for longer than a second. It would be a very uncomfortable six seconds if they had only lapbars.

You wouldn't have to do any work if lapbars were holding you in...

Worlds of Fun used to have two Arrow loopers: The Scream Roller/EXT (Arrow Corkscrew) and the Orient Express (may it rest in pieces).

I remember when the OTSR were round and left you plenty of room on the sides to put your arms up. Those were replaced with more rectangular restraints that basically force you to keep your arms down and they're very uncomfortable, at least for taller people.

The Flight of Fear style restraints aren't too bad, but they're not comfortable in all seats of the train. The front right seat in the front car has a raised plate under your right foot which makes for a tight fit, though the left seat is fine for me. I'm fine as long as my feet aren't being squeezed too much.

^It would feel like someone punched you in the lower gut. Or you could pull/damage you hamstrings and other muscles in you back and thighs. It would be terrible.

Uh, Skyrocket front seat holds you about 2 seconds or more completely vertically

And? no pain, not uncomfortable at all, the bars are heavily padded, a short hold for a dive machine is completely possible

Now, for a FLOORLESS dive machine, like griffon, where the leg-pad option wouldnt work, you'd still need OTSR's

The thing is, whenever I'm riding coasters with OTSRs, I NEVER experience pain riding them. Usually, my head just fastens into the middle and kinda stays there.

Still, with how secure they made the lapbars, I'd say they're far more suitable and less complicated than the Over the Shoulder Restraints...

http://rcdb.com/8612.htm?p=28106

Personally, people are just scared of them because the media makes such an ungodly deal about the one-in-9-billion accident where some idiot didnt properly secure the bar or the hardware failed and they panicked

and this is why restraints fail in the first place, there are six reasons i found

1. some idiot decides remove his seatbelt cause of some reason (friend dared him or something)

2. maintenance doesn't test restraints cause they've working properly for a while

3. size and or weight

4. improper check by staff

5. idiot doesn't listen to safety information or doesn't bother to read signs on how to ride properly (keep your head back, arms down, and hold on)

6. freak accident

there is only thing i found similar about all of these except #6, they are all avoidable!

Edited by crazywolf88

http://rcdb.com/8612.htm?p=28106

Personally, people are just scared of them because the media makes such an ungodly deal about the one-in-9-billion accident where some idiot didnt properly secure the bar or the hardware failed and they panicked

and this is why restraints fail in the first place, there are six reasons i found

1. some idiot decides remove his seatbelt cause of some reason (friend dared him or something)

2. maintenance doesn't test restraints cause they've working properly for a while

3. size and or weight

4. improper check by staff

5. idiot doesn't listen to safety information or doesn't bother to read signs on how to ride properly (keep your head back, arms down, and hold on)

6. freak accident

I recently researched amusement park accidents for a researched Youtube comment (talk about an oxymoron!) and I found about 5 or 6 roller coaster accidents in the last half-century that were fatal that were not the direct result of rider stupidity/mistake. I know that's more than the GP would like to hear, but considering the maybe hundreds of millions of laps taken by roller coasters in that time, it pretty much accounts to nothing more than a freak accident.

Worlds of Fun used to have two Arrow loopers: The Scream Roller/EXT (Arrow Corkscrew) and the Orient Express (may it rest in pieces).

I remember when the OTSR were round and left you plenty of room on the sides to put your arms up. Those were replaced with more rectangular restraints that basically force you to keep your arms down and they're very uncomfortable, at least for taller people.

The Flight of Fear style restraints aren't too bad, but they're not comfortable in all seats of the train. The front right seat in the front car has a raised plate under your right foot which makes for a tight fit, though the left seat is fine for me. I'm fine as long as my feet aren't being squeezed too much.

Didn't someone fall out of the restraints on an Arrow standup train that had that design? I think it was the mine train at SFSTL,which had one track briefly converted into a standup ride.Of course the reasons for WOF removing the standup trains on it's corkscrew coaster were due to the added weight taking it's toll on the track & structure.

There appeared to be a couple of things wrong with that design. First, unless I'm not looking in the right place, it doesn't appear that riders have much support on the sides---slipping out doesn't look that difficult. (And I think that's what happened in the RailBlazer incident at SFStL.)

Also, the OTSR is too high and not vertically adjustable. That's fine for someone tall, but for shorter riders...not so good.

Eric