TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

^ It helps that it's a straight shot east on I-64. We're hoping lots of St. Louis folks give us a look-see this season!

Absolutely. Once they hear that it takes one highway and a rural route to get there, it's an easy sell. The billboard advertising all of the freebies is the winner to me. It probably goes without saying that our city feels a bit 'nickel and dimed' by our local park.

^ It helps that it's a straight shot east on I-64. We're hoping lots of St. Louis folks give us a look-see this season!

Absolutely. Once they hear that it takes one highway and a rural route to get there, it's an easy sell. The billboard advertising all of the freebies is the winner to me. It probably goes without saying that our city feels a bit 'nickel and dimed' by our local park.

This is so true. I haven't seen the billboards for context but if they are promoting the true value of Holiday World and the free offerings that should go over VERY well with the people of St. Louis that are tired of being nickel and dimed.

^That's a 3 hour drive from St. Louis to Holiday World. I'm surprised but I hope it works for them. It is definitely a completely unique experience from Six Flags St. Louis.

It's 3 hours from where I live in mid-Michigan to Cedar Point, but I still consider it my "local" park, and go semi-frequently! When it's all (or mostly) highway driving, it's not a bad trip at all! I wish Holiday World was only 3 hours away from me!

^That's a 3 hour drive from St. Louis to Holiday World. I'm surprised but I hope it works for them. It is definitely a completely unique experience from Six Flags St. Louis.

It's 3 hours from where I live in mid-Michigan to Cedar Point, but I still consider it my "local" park, and go semi-frequently! When it's all (or mostly) highway driving, it's not a bad trip at all! I wish Holiday World was only 3 hours away from me!

My point is 3 hours is not local for most people and most people don't travel that long for an amusement park, especially when living in a city that has an amusement park already. I live in Atlanta, we have Six Flags Over Georgia, and Carowinds is just over 3 hours away. I've never heard of any Atlanta local going to Carowinds and I doubt many have ever even heard of the park. Dollywood is also just over 3 hours and while it gets some attention from Atlanta, most people here would never go to Dollywood. I do think Holiday World can make it work though just because of the quality and value they offer compared to the local option.

I live roughly 2.75 hours away being in Nashville, and I call Holiday World my local park since it's the closest major park to me. I don't count Beech Bend. They may have Rumbler, but they don't have much else LOL...

I'll be back on the 12th to check out Legend.

^I always find it interesting that Nashville doesn't have a local park but it has three major parks and one small park well outside of the city all competing for the local market share. Not a bad place to live at all for an enthusiast!

^I always find it interesting that Nashville doesn't have a local park but it has three major parks and one small park well outside of the city all competing for the local market share. Not a bad place to live at all for an enthusiast!

It's really not haha! I drive to Holiday World, Kings Island, Six Flags Over Georgia, and Dollywood all the time because they're all within 5 hours from me! It's awesome!

^ Judging by some of the posts on HW's social pages, it hasn't been crowded at all. It might be different this weekend with it being the first weekend the water park is open. I say it will probably depend on the weather, which looks to be in the 60's, so probably not.

I actually just got off The Legend and it's really great! It feels faster than usual to me and the final run is an improvement in my opinion. There is now airtime on those last few turns in place of the uncomfortable laterals. The first drop also got completely retracked though it's not anything noticeably different. Overall, it's a big improvement to the ride and is a welcome change for me!

I rode The Legend on Sunday. It is very smooth and so much more enjoyable to me. They did a great job with the improvements!

I didn't hear the howl or bell, but I am sure they will be back. The new tunnel was not finished or themed yet. Can't wait to see the theming.

I'm pulling The Coaster Kid out of school two days early, and we are making our first trip to Holiday World Wednesday night! WOOT!

We are hitting the park from Thur-Sat. but will be staying in Evansville because it looks as if there is absolutely nothing else in and around the park in terms of restaurants, hotels, or shopping. (The non-coaster enthusiast wife will be tagging along.)

Any suggestions for first time visitors to HW, and the Evansville area?

You are correct in that Santa Claus doesn't have much else besides the theme park. Evansville is a small but proper city and it has pretty much whatever you'd want in terms of shopping and dining. Three days will be awesome. Seems like a lot for one park, but not for Holiday World. They have a good ride selection and plenty of things you'll want to re-ride.

Splashin Safari is where it's at. As good as the theme park is, the water park is the absolute best I've ever been to. You probably won't experience very long lines, especially Thu and Fri, but go to the waterpark right when it opens, and then do the coasters in the afternoon. That's the opposite pattern of most guests and will minimize waits.

Have an awesome time! Enjoy the Legend renovations!

^^As far as shopping goes, Evansville is your best bet. I wouldn't sell short the surrounding area though. Jasper has plenty of decent hotels and good restaurants.

The main one would be Schnitzelbank Restaurant, located in Jasper. It was highlighted in the Thunderbird Media Day report here on TPR. I've also never had an issue at the Days Inn Hotel in Jasper.

I would also recommend visiting the Lincoln Boyhood Home right down the road from Holiday World, and the Santa Claus Museum, also right down the road from HW.

Since you're going three days, take your time. It won't be busy, except for maybe Saturday. I wouldn't try and rush everything.

Edited by ZeroGravity55

Quick TR: First time at the park.

RAVEN: Rules.

Legend: New tracked parts are great! But calling it a "doubledown" is a little generous. It shouldn't count if it is taken at 6 mph.

The Voyage: Absolutely phenomenal. 2nd fav. Woodie now.

Thunderbird: A very pleasant surprise! Intense launch, great forceful elements, just flat out awesome.

Is anybody going to be at the park during the day on Friday and Saturday of Holiwood Nights? My hubby and I will be visiting with family around then and we're looking to go back (we haven't been since 2011) and I'm looking forward to 2 days of riding fun.

Legend: New tracked parts are great! But calling it a "doubledown" is a little generous. It shouldn't count if it is taken at 6 mph.

I'd like your take on this since it was a fresh experience for you. The helix had some hella intense laterals, right? How did the final three turns feel compared to that? Would you call them regular GCI-style "hardly there" laterals or did they actually have any kind of punch?