TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Holiday World has no reason to feel the need to compete with KK.

I love Holiday World very dearly, but I do want to point out that they did scatter two of their billboards mere walking distance from different sides of Kentucky Kingdom! There's an extra along the highway near the airport as well.

13923076577_dd82546a8c.jpg

Holiday World Advert Outside KK by Marcus Dorsey, on Flickr

Well now that I'm home an settled in, I can finally get to doing a TR.

Great TR. You really should have spent some time in SS. A lot of people would argue that Mammoth and Wildebeest are the two best rides on that property.

Here are a couple of questions I saw that were answered on the parks FB page. The second one isn't really important, just something I found interesting.

1.) Season Passes for 2016 go on sale Saturday.

2.) I never realized this, but the park is making a killing on their cabanas. Somebody asked if there were any cabanas available for today and it's a Wednesday and the park responded and said no. So I decided to do a little math just to see how much HW is roughly making off these things. HW has 33 cabanas and they're charging $179 for one. You get a pepsi mini fridge, (which I believe is stocked with water), your own personal space to put your stuff, it provides an area to get shade and relax, and you have the option of having meals delivered to the cabana (that is at a separate charge). Now they're rented out on a Wednesday and I know it's the peak of the season, but it's still mid-week. So I'm going to assume that they rent all of these things out everyday for the last three weeks of July. 33 cabanas at $179 is nearly $6000 in one day. Over a 21 day period, that's just a bit above $124000. Now that is just an assumption, as I don't know if they have or will rent out their cabanas for 21 days in a row. That just gives you a little bit of prospective on how much the park can make off these things and that's just a 3 week period. These things are up for rental whenever the waterpark is open. It's amazing to me how much people will pay for a bit of privacy, but knowing how crowded the park gets at this time of year, I guess it really shouldn't surprise me.

I love Holiday World very dearly, but I do want to point out that they did scatter two of their billboards mere walking distance from different sides of Kentucky Kingdom! There's an extra along the highway near the airport as well.

There are also numerous HW billboards around Bowling Green. I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with competition with other parks (Beech Bend shouldn't be a concern), but more so with targeting heavily populated areas in close proximity to the park (Bowling Green is 1.5 hr from HW and theres about 100,000 people in the area plus a decent amount of tourism).

We have tons of HW billboards here in Nashville. I have only seen a few smaller ones for KK. So I would definitely say their presence is felt much more 2.5 hours South. In fact, I think there are more signs for Beech Bend than KK.

I didn't get to visit last Sunday as I had hoped. Me n' tha fam are gonna put our Club TPR cards to good use there this Friday.

Looking forward to seeing their nighttime fireworks show. It's the last night for them.

There are also numerous HW billboards around Bowling Green. I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with competition with other parks (Beech Bend shouldn't be a concern), but more so with targeting heavily populated areas in close proximity to the park (Bowling Green is 1.5 hr from HW and theres about 100,000 people in the area plus a decent amount of tourism).

I live in the Evansville area and we've always been flooded with HW billboards. Of course HW is actually technically part of the Evansville metro Tristate area and not Louisville's. HW is in Evansville's media market as well.

^ Keep in mind that most posts like that are simply opinion. Everyone experiences coasters differently. I personally don't find The Voyage rough. I prefer to call it aggressive. I think The Boss at SFStL is extremely rough. To the point I would call it unrideable. But there are a lot of people that just think of it as intense, rather than rough.

It surprises me as well about the complaints people have with The Voyage. Until Thunderbird, its always been my favorite and remains my #2 there. But everyone has opinions though! I don't have any worries that Holiday World will do ANYTHING to The Voyage that is not necessary. They have my full faith and trust when it comes to doing whats right for their park, rides, guests, and safety.

I don't have any worries that Holiday World will do ANYTHING to The Voyage that is not necessary.

What's all this I hear about stopping on the mid course?

(Not trying to start an unnecessary discussion that will probably ensue regardless of me saying so.)

It really comes down to personal opinion. I am fine with Voyage and The Boss, but I stay away from anything called Vortex, as well as Maverick at Cedar point (haven't been back since they put the new restraints on; it's probably more rideable now.)

Edited by AirMBTB

It makes me sad to people hating on Voyage and saying its too rough I havnt been on it yet this year but I dont remember it being rough the past two years

The Voyage was too rough for me but that wasn't because the ride was tracking poorly. It was riding as designed and if you liked it before, I'm certain you won't have any problem.

I don't have any worries that Holiday World will do ANYTHING to The Voyage that is not necessary.

What's all this I hear about stopping on the mid course?

(Not trying to start an unnecessary discussion that will probably ensue regardless of me saying so.)

I have NO doubts whatsoever that HW didn't take into account the guests, the rides, the safety, or the park in general when making that decision. I don't think they just randomly decided to do that for no reason. There had to be clear reasons, and they had to be good ones at that. Despite not making a big todo about it, they just don't take changes like that lightly at all. Not their style.

Also, Paula - I've been listening to the Thunderbird Theme Song almost non stop and I still can't tell what the chanters are saying. What are we missing? lol Your driving me crazy here!

Paula must be very satisfied that she has successfully driven enthusiasts insane. She's particularly good at that.

Also, Paula - I've been listening to the Thunderbird Theme Song almost non stop and I still can't tell what the chanters are saying. What are we missing? lol Your driving me crazy here!

Paula must be very satisfied that she has successfully driven enthusiasts insane. She's particularly good at that.

Lol don't I know! At least it's really good music that I ENJOY listening to. Just wish I could download an MP3 of it lol.

Ok so update: I know it's incredibly sad for me to admit to this but I've played back the song at both various slower and faster speeds and can't make heads or tails of it. I'm gonna see if I can't figure out a way to play it in reverse maybe.

Either way, it is entertaining and interesting to listen to how different it sounds at various speeds. You also notice just exactly how much lightning and crashing sounds are in the song too. I mean I always knew it was there of course, but when you slow the song down you can REALLY hear that thunder roar!

EDIT: I bet I'm the laughing stock of the offices there at HW tomorrow, lol.

Ok so update: I know it's incredibly sad for me to admit to this but I've played back the song at both various slower and faster speeds and can't make heads or tails of it. I'm gonna see if I can't figure out a way to play it in reverse maybe.

Either way, it is entertaining and interesting to listen to how different it sounds at various speeds. You also notice just exactly how much lightning and crashing sounds are in the song too. I mean I always knew it was there of course, but when you slow the song down you can REALLY hear that thunder roar!

Did you read what I wrote? It's not saying anything, it's gibberish. Paula was not trying to start a new round of speculation, she was just pointing out that she THOUGHT we would take something as a clue when we didn't.

Did you read what I wrote? It's not saying anything, it's gibberish. Paula was not trying to start a new round of speculation, she was just pointing out that she THOUGHT we would take something as a clue when we didn't.

I DID read what you wrote, but Paula ended with something to the effect of - I'll give you guys one last chance. Then posted the song again....as if she was giving us one last chance to catch something before she spilled the beans.