TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

^And yet on our visit Legend was running the best it has pretty much ever run and way better than Voyage! It's really just a personal opinion at this point if you like the RMC products better than Voyage or not. I would LOVE to see that ride topper tracked.

^^&^^^ They can touch The Voyage and put every bit of Topper Track on it that they want as far as I'm concerned. The layout doesn't need changed, nor does it need I-Boxed, but Topper Track would certainly help with the longevity of the ride. I'm not opposed to a full topper track conversion with RMC trains with no changes to the layout whatsoever. Actually, I would welcome certain tweaks to the layout that would allow for more sustained and extreme airtime throughout the ride

While I would welcome it, I sort of doubt that they change anything with their woodies. The people that go to Holiday world seem to LOVE them, so if it 'aint broke don't fix it. Also, HW seems to be very dedicated to maintaining their woodies and keeping them smooth, so I'm sure they are keeping it that way.

^ They try to keep them smooth. Sometimes they bite off more than they can chew. HW probably has one of the best maintenance teams out there, but I hope they realize that it is alright to get some help and make those guys jobs a whole lot easier (speaking about getting topper track on The Voyage).

^ I really just want topper track on The Voyage, they could leave the other two alone and maintain both of them. They're very well capable of it. Here's the thing, The Raven was CCI's second design (I think) and it was before they started pushing the limit of what traditional tracked woodies could do at the time. So much like other woodies that don't have crazy layouts that don't push what the trains and track are capable of doing/withstanding, it has stayed very smooth over the last 20 years and isn't very hard to maintain.

So far, I-Boxing wooden coasters has been done primarily to rides that were once great but have become average or worse. I doubt it would be a worthwhile investment for a ride that is still pretty good, even if it isn't quite as good as it once was. Based on my experience at Holiday World this year, none of their three wooden coasters would be candidates for a RMC transformation, in my opinion. I could see putting Topper Track on some sections of Voyage to help with the roughness and reduce maintenance, but that's about the limit right now.

Consider this: All of Holiday World's wooden coasters are currently in the top 50 in the Mitch Hawker poll. Most of the coasters that have received the conversion were in the top 50 at one point, but with the exception of Texas Giant, all fell below 100 before they were converted. As far as I know, most of the conversions have been around $10 million, and Voyage (Holiday World's most expensive woodie) was around $8 million. Is it worth investing more than the original cost of the ride into a coaster that is still above average and still draws a decent crowd just to make it a little better? Most parks would say no.

^ Yes, but you have to ask yourself how much they could save on maintenance over the long all if they did do it. None of their woodies need the I-box conversion, but I am a big fan of topper track. It just seems like a very good long term investment. I feel like some parks still have doubts about topper track. I feel like once they're able to go to these parks and prove that it has held up over the long haul, they'll start to sell more of it.

It's so weird because most the people I talk to around here have opinions that are the exact opposite... Remember I'm maybe 20 min from the park and I"m just a member of the GP. But generally we all feel like the Raven is the most jerky and The Voyage is the smoothest(except when they ran that Legend train on it. The Legend train on The Voyage was very very rough). I really think doing anything to The Voyage beyond what they have been doing would kinda give them a black eye, in the eyes of the public around here. To be honest, on this forum is the first time I've EVER heard anyone refer to The Raven as smooth and The Voyage as rough. It'd just so weird how different people view these coasters.

^ Actually that doesn't sound too crazy at all. I'm all up for new trains on two conditions. Either it comes a full traditional re-tracking of the ride or it comes with a full topper track conversion (no changes to the layout). I think we have enough evidence now (Hades 360, Gwazi, and Wildcat) that new trains on old track does not make it a better ride, and in some cases makes it an even worse ride.