TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

You totally should come! You'll thank yourself once you're there. The employees are really nice, you get free soft drinks, the park is super clean, the food is amazing ( Plymoth Rock Café), and the rides are phenomenal!

If only that could be said for all theme parks.

No doubt.

I've accepted that big parks are great for what they offer ride wise, but are dreadful in most other regards. It is nice to get that honest "fun" atmosphere, or any atmosphere at all and not just paying to basically ride a bunch of rides. Of course, HW has some world class coasters to boot!

Well, I might as well wait until '15 when this opens to make the trek. Maybe we can get something together for then!

I'm guessing ThunderBird will be one of those coasters you want to ride as soon as you get to the park first. Start from the back and head up, only because most people will ride Raven first. Then Legend, then Voyage, and head back to Thunderbird. It seems logical to me.

Holiday World's coasters never seem to have a wait more than 15-30 minutes. The longest waits are always in the water park. I think Thunderbird could change that, though.

We will just have to wait and see.

Here's my suggestion, next year, I'm guessing everybody who visits will be hitting Thunderbird first thing in the morning (doesn't matter how far back it is). I suggest taking that opportunity to hit The Raven, Legend, and Voyage first. If you hold out to about 12-1 p.m., most of the guests will converge to the waterpark. Use this opportunity, to get as many rides on Thunderbird as you may like. Then enter the waterpark after you're done. Ride all of the slides you would like and save Mammoth and Wildebeest for when the waterpark is about to close. The line shouldn't be bad by then at all. After you leave the waterpark, you should be able to hit all the woodies multiple times. I suspect that Thunderbird will still have the longest line at the end of the day. I'm considering buying a season pass next year, since the park is offering the payment plan. I'm just trying to figure out if I'll be able to visit enough to make it worth the money I will be paying. If I do so, I should be able to come up with a very good plan to attack the park,this being the first one I will try.

I've been following the TPR trip to Holiday World on Twitter today. I'm glad to see they've all been enjoying their visit! I always like to hear from people who don't get to visit HW too much. It's always nice to read their thoughts about the park.

^ Depends when you visit. I'll say this, if you don't mind dealing with school kids, and cold water. The first weekdays the waterpark and dry park are open together are easily the best time to visit the park in terms of light crowds and multiple rides. Even Thunderbird shouldn't be that bad, especially if they choose to run two trains, which is something they should do at all times, IMO. I get it when they run only one train on the woodies early in the season, it saves the track work. But on Thunderbird, no excuse IMO. Especially with only 20 people on each train.

Edit: So I saw that the TPR group was in their ERT session on The Voyage. So I jumped over to the Splash Cam for a minute and couldn't help but notice the heat lighting in the background. Could it be, Thunderbird? Remember, it's all part of the theming

^^^ Ditto what he said. I"ve been to Disney World a few times and I never had nearly as much fun as I do at Holiday World. The Friendliness at HW is real too... it isn't forced and bizarre and over the top like at Disney.

Also I"ve been trying to figure out how that Newspaper article is offensive to anyone. I REALLY don't get. ::clueless look:: Is it something in the article, because I didn't really read past the headline?

Hi, yes I would like you to read the article directly below the thunderbird article...

This hasn't been brought up on here, but the TPR group had a Q&A with four people from the park (Paula was one of them) who knew about Thunderbird from the beginning. Some of the folks in the group were kind enough to tweet some of the answers they got and Robb was kind enough to retweet them. Robb actually tweeted the answer I found most fascinating, Thunderbird was originally designed to be a regular B&M inverted coaster in the late 2000's. The design for Thunderbird was adapted from the this original design. Also, Robb tweeted that the LSM launch was being supplied by Intrasys, not B&M (if I interrupted that correctly). It was also said that HW didn't just want a normal wing coaster, they wanted the cutting edge with launch and well-themed launch room.

Okay, now this is where my speculation comes in. Leah Koch had said that her father, Will Koch had planned on building the original concept for this ride in 2009-2010, but he dropped those plans and moved on to something else. That is right around the time that B&M would have been developing the wing rider concept. I'm guessing that B&M sold him on this concept and he wanted to move forward with this rather than the inverted coaster. So basically what I'm saying is that if B&M hadn't been developing the wing rider concept, HW would have a B&M invert in the park for 4-5 years now. That is just my speculation. Say what you want about wing rider vs invert and which one you rather have (I think I already know the majority answer), but I think this a testament to Will Koch for always looking to have the best cutting edge technology/rides in his park.

This is something that has been bothering me for a while and I was reminded of it when I watched the animated POV. It looks like they will have some magnetic brakes in the from of fins (to be compatible with the launch) and they there are some friction brakes. I know it's not a big deal but I wonder why B&M hasn't abandoned friction brakes yet like intamin. Or at least have just a few of them to be used "in a special case" like some other manufacturers do. Just a thought.

]Also I"ve been trying to figure out how that Newspaper article is offensive to anyone. I REALLY don't get. ::clueless look:: Is it something in the article, because I didn't really read past the headline?
umm.jpg.0dfd563722c802ad0e1d32c9ac3bbd86.jpg I just found it weird that it got caught in the tweet. Back on topic now.

rcjp,

Magnetics do not have the ability to completely stop anything completely. The braking force is proportional to the speed in which the train is moving. So at high speeds, the braking ability is excellent. At low speeds, your braking force is really low or not at all.

Because of this, no manufacturer can completely go to just magnetics. Friction wheels or friction brakes are always required alongside magnetics. Today, Intamin uses friction wheels to completely stop the train in blocks while B&M still relies on friction as well. This is why on Millennium Force for example, there are no true friction brakes but they have plenty of kicker wheels all over on the block brakes.

B&M will use a hybrid on midcourse brakes recently (magnetics and friction) because otherwise, it would not be a block (unless they used friction wheels) because the magnetic brakes would never stop the train fully and it would just crawl through. In rain/weather, along with possible wear and tear with the kicker wheels there is a higher chance for an incident versus the pneumatic brakes which are in the closed position in failure of any sort. This is my guess why B&M still uses a large amount of the friction brakes and magnetics, versus just magnetics and friction wheels... It appears to be a safer more reliable system.

^Thanks but I did know that magnetics alone weren't capable of stopping a train. I was wondering why they didn't do like intamin and have one or two drive tires do the job of the friction brakes as I get the feeling that they would wear off wear off more slowly than the brakes (and so would the plates on the trains where the brakes grab). Because the thing is intamin used magnetic ones to bring the train to a near stop and then the wheels while B&M's magnetics only look like they are there to reduce the train's speed slightly before the friction one kick in. So in most of their rides (even some new ones) it's not the primary braking system (a few exception to their hypers even though they still have both types). I just thought it would be more efficient to use only magnetic brakes and one or two wheels to completely stop the train (which isn't hard if it is already crawling due to the first ones' action).

Okay so I haven't gotten to say my opinions on Thunderbird until now. Paula, I really hope you read this, also. IMO, Thunderbird looks great from the animation renderings. I love the color. Im really excited to see a B&M in Holiday World, as well. I've always pictured Holiday World skyline with The Voyage and a bright colored B&M, and now we get one!!!! Now I have to admit something, I'm a 16 year old enthusiasts who plans to become a roller coaster engineer. My parents know my love for roller coasters, but they don't like them, so the only park I've been to since 2005 is Holiday World; therefore Ive never ridden a wing coaster but I've always wanted to. I just hope that you(Paula) and all the Holiday World staff know that me and everyone I've talked to about it is super excited to ride this. In Western Kentucky, there are no parks less than two hours away, except you. I love your park and I cant wait to see the future beyond 2015, and i cant wait to see this beauty sore in the skyline.

Oh I hate to double post but i feel like no one has mentioned this yet. Im not sure whether I saw it on here or Carowinds Connection, but someone mentioned how a 125 ft tall loop right after the first drop(or launch in this case) is very bland and used a lot by B&M. Now im not criticizing their opinion at all, in fact I respect it. We all like different things. Now i will say this. Everyone i talk to that mentions Holiday World in the Holiday World area(this is the go btw) say something like 'HW needs a roller coaster with a loop' or HW needs a roller coaster that goes upside down' and i feel like the loop was made so tall that it is visible above the trees, even from outside the park. This is intimidating to guests as well, and makes them more excited to ride it.