TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2011/12/16/are-you-stephen-colbert-fan/

Love The Colbert Report, got some laughs for the night.

On a side note, I can actually say, "I rode the Wildebeest with Santa Claus."

The audio feed didn't work right that day, so most of the interview included Will trying to hear Colbert's questions, with a confused look. They used that.

We ended up blogging about the Colbert Report enough that it gained its own tag: http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/tag/colbert_report/

So I won 2 tickets to the park last night/today via a contest on the HoliBlog (http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2014/08/25/want-win-tickets-answer-simple-question/), and I've spent most of the day with a dilemma: when to visit the park given that these are for 2014 only and we're near the end of the operating season?

I really want to visit when Splashin' Safari is open because that's one of the best waterparks in the country, but that really only leaves this weekend or Saturday the 13th.

SO, since I was already planning on doing a coaster road trip this weekend, I'm thinking about making some alterations in my plans. We'll still drive up from Atlanta Thursday afternoon/night, hit Cedar Point Friday and then also Saturday morning, and drive down to Kings Island for the rest of the afternoon/night Saturday. But instead of spending Sunday at KI as well and then hitting Dollywood Splash Country on Monday & driving back to Atlanta Monday night, I think we'll spend Sunday at HW and then maybe hit a couple smaller parks on Monday on our way back to ATL.

I really want to get a bunch of rides on the two water coasters, so what should my plan of action be for that? Last time I was at the park was in 2012 and I remember those lines getting pretty long, even right at the beginning of the day.

Also, what (if any) are the recommended seats on the coasters? I remember really enjoying Raven & Legend on my last trip, but Voyage beat me up more than I liked. Has it been running better lately? What times of day are best to hit what? (I'd prefer to keep all the waterparking in one solid chunk, and we can be there from open to close no problem). Any other tips?

Thanks!

Visit Splashin' Safari right as it opens and hit The Mammoth first, along with Wildebeest and Bakuli, then migrate over to Hyena falls, then free for all it till about 1-3, that's when I've noticed the dry park starting to empty out. If you're there Sunday, you might see me somehow. haha

That's what I usually do. The Raven never has long lines during the afternoon. I think it was 2 weeks ago, it was 8 times in a row I stayed on.

I really want to get a bunch of rides on the two water coasters, so what should my plan of action be for that?

Plan to get the the waterpark entrance from Thanksgiving as soon as SS opens. Then head straight for the water coasters. Drop your stuff in a chair next to Bahari wave pool and ride the coasters until the lines start to fill up. Then head to any water rides that seem to have shorter lines.

Also, what (if any) are the recommended seats on the coasters? I remember really enjoying Raven & Legend on my last trip, but Voyage beat me up more than I liked. Has it been running better lately?

Voyage seemed to be running much better than even last year (I visited in late July this year). The front seat is pretty smooth and the favorite spot for me. The back seat has incredible air time but tends to be rougher. I recommend the front seat on The Legend just because of the roughness this season. Anywhere on The Raven was great. The lines should be short enough that you could ride that one multiple times in whatever seat you want.

Any other tips?

Eat at Plymouth Rock Cafe. Try some fudge from Mrs Klaus Kitchen. Be sure not to pass up flats like Hallow Swings, Liberty Launch, the Sparkler, and Gobbler Getaway. The Mayflower is also fantastic (get the end seats if possible). Jungle Racers is extremely fun if the line is short. I'm not sure what the hours are the day you're visiting, but if you can dark rides in, here's the priority of what you should hit: The Voyage (absolutely amazing, front seat this one), The Legend, The Raven, Hallow Swings (the lights make it a whole new experience)

Oooo you guys have made me super hungry as well. HW has the BEST theme park food out of all the parks I've been to by far. Plymouth Rock Cafe is INSANELY good and an INSANELY good price for the quantity and quality. Also, Even though it's the same pizza recipe, for whatever reason, Safari Sams has THE BEST pizza in the park! Get your pizza there if you get pizza! The Alamo has some crazy good food too!

On a side note: Anyone notice that an Intamin Coaster hasn't been built in the US since 2012, and B&M has built (are building) 6 Coasters in the US in that amount of time span, Including a Launching Wing Coaster, and the Tallest Coaster without a launch. That's pretty incredible and it just shows how B&M has decided to take the Raging Bull (pun intended) by the horns and step up their game.

On a side note: Anyone notice that an Intamin Coaster hasn't been built in the US since 2012, and B&M has built (are building) 6 Coasters in the US in that amount of time span, Including a Launching Wing Coaster, and the Tallest Coaster without a launch. That's pretty incredible and it just shows how B&M has decided to take the Raging Bull (pun intended) by the horns and step up their game.

Intamins require a TON of maintenance and the parks don't want to deal with maintenance so they now deal with B&Ms.

What are the stations like for the coasters as far as loose articles go? If I had a bag with me (for when the waterpark opens), can I leave it on the station platform or in a bin? Or do I have to rent a locker?

Are there any issues in Splashin' Safari with wearing eyeglasses (with a strap) and/or water shoes on any rides?

If I head straight to Voyage at opening on a Sunday, how many rides do you all think I could get in before Splashin' Safari is ready to open? Is there time to beeline to Raven/Legend for a single ride and then still get a couple rides in on Voyage before the waterpark opens? Or is that just a terrible idea?

What are the stations like for the coasters as far as loose articles go? If I had a bag with me (for when the waterpark opens), can I leave it on the station platform or in a bin? Or do I have to rent a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo?

Are there any issues in Splashin' Safari with wearing eyeglasses (with a strap) and/or water shoes on any rides?

If I head straight to Voyage at opening on a Sunday, how many rides do you all think I could get in before Splashin' Safari is ready to open? Is there time to beeline to Raven/Legend for a single ride and then still get a couple rides in on Voyage before the waterpark opens? Or is that just a terrible idea?

The Stations all have lockers and bins for loose items. DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING ON THE COASTERS. Sorry for the bold stuff, but this goes for everyone. This includes Phones, Cameras, etc. It is very possible to lose those items during the ride. Not only is it not the best idea, it is also a safety concern.

You can absolutely wear glasses in Splashin' Safari with no hassle, I advise a strap, although they aren't mandatory. Water shoes are allowed, ( I think, you'd have to ask Paula for 100% confirmation.) Swimsuits with Zippers are not permitted.

You should be able to get atleast 2-4 rides on the Voyage without much a wait early in the morning. Though it varies depending on how many Trains are operating. Everyone that I've seen usually heads to The Raven and Legend as they're closer to the entrance. I recommend riding The other two coasters in the afternoon, because there is little to no wait.

Hope this helps!