TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

It's funny we have an Arby's abut a 10 minute walk from our new home and I've never eaten at an Arby's ever. I've actually heard good things about Arby's, particularly that sauce... I always joke with the missus that I'm bringing it home for dinner but I have yet to make the stop in.

We don't have Roy Rogers in Philly anymore, tho we did growing up, and always went there over McDonalds, BK, etc. We do however have buttloads of Boston Markets and Arbys all over the place.

It's funny we have an Arby's abut a 10 minute walk from our new home and I've never eaten at an Arby's ever. I've actually heard good things about Arby's, particularly that sauce... I always joke with the missus that I'm bringing it home for dinner but I have yet to make the stop in.

Arby's has good sauce, and now they have sandwiches that they load in A1 too. Basically this is your way of distracting you from how much the sandwiches suck.

Little known fact: ARBY'S is actually an acronym:

Ain't

Roast

Beef,

You

Sucker

Also, way to go on righting that thread from its offtopicness. (Offtopicosity?) We have to call that an unmitigated success. Here's my attempt: I'd still rather eat Arby's than ride Green Lantern.

I'd still rather eat Arby's than ride Green Lantern.

Oh well in that case I might have to try Arby's.

Here we are, still talkin' 'bout Arby's.

Yay, looks like Maggiekat and I will be flying out from vegas to finally hit GA... been on my bucket list for years be there July 5th

Sounds great! Remember to ride in the front row of Kingda Ka and not to listen to these whiny asses.

Yay, looks like Maggiekat and I will be flying out from vegas to finally hit GA... been on my bucket list for years be there July 5th

Sounds great! Remember to ride in the front row of Kingda Ka and not to listen to these whiny asses.

LOL. Sounds good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL. Sounds good

It's been posted a million times, however- one more time with passion! (assumes no flash pass/you want to hit the major rides with minimal wait/all rides are operating at opening):

- arrive in the parking lot no later than 9:15am (this way you can get through security and in the park prior to the 10:30am opening time)

- make a left at the fountain, then high tail it to: Ka (front row)> Zumi> El Toro (2x)> Bizarro

- high tail it to the complete opposite side of the park, and go: Batman> Nitro> Skull

At that point- as you will!

Some comments on "the rest":

- Green Lantern sucks, thus unless you are a credit whore/there is no wait time, skip it

- Superman (less one element) sucks, as does the wait time.....and there is always a wait!

- The Joker will be a mob scene (all day, and especially at opening b/c it is being advertised in the NE like hell).....it's ok, but well below the rides I listed above....make it your last ride of the night (i.e.- get on line right before closing!)

- Safari gets rave reviews, however- it is a 90- 120 minute time investment

- "Vintage" rides like the skyride, log flume, runaway mine train are highly recommended, BUT again, not at the expense of not getting on the rides I suggested you hit up early when you arrive....best not to take the point of view of "well we are near it, so let's just go on it now" in the morning- circle back with 'em later in the day, and stick with the above agenda!

Have fun- and if you have some Weed-b-Gon.....please bring it, as the park doesn't bother (or have the funding) to take care of the weeds in the queue lines! Basically when they build something new, it becomes "Love It and Leave It!" (you'll see what I mean when you get there- for example, look at old pics of Kingda Ka when it opened vs. how it is today; same for The Joker....looks great now, but come back in 5- 10 years!) Oh well!!!!!

PS- I've been heading the park since the 70's (yes I'm an old man!!!), and I have had a season pass (each season) since around 1982....so I kinda' know the place pretty well!

Edited by strz

Had the opportunity to visit SFGAdv this past Monday. Overall it was a very solid day at the park and well worth the journey from Philly on Public Transit. I'd give an overall grade of "B".

I'll start out with the negatives: Line Jumping seems to be part of the culture at this park. Given that I saw this 6-7 times before lines died around 5pm, it seems to be par for the course. Not only was it 14-16 year old school kids meeting up with their group already in line, but also people well into their 20s. They just push their way through the line and meet up with their buddies. There would often be a security person at the Flash Pass entrance but they can't do anything for the main line.

Also had a crappy experience on Nitro. Was riding back row later in the day. Some twat-waffle decided to ride towards the front of the train with $34.79 of change in their pockets. From the initial drop onwards this twat-waffle was paying out like a loose slot machine. I was hit twice, once in the cheek and once just to the side of my right eye. The entire ride you could hear coins clanging through the train. I get that stuff comes out of pockets but this was ridiculous. One of the crappiest rides I've ever had.

There were positives from the park as well. Ride ops were solid throughout. Saw Ryan doing his thing on Toro. Didn't see any ops that looked like that wanted to shoot themselves. Food service was also adequate for the day. Panda's "Bigger Plate" was a ton of food for $13. Quality was also on par with what I expect from a Panda Express. Park layout was also easy to navigate, although a bit spread out, once I learned the layout. The park was decently kept. I don't expect much when I go to a park, but SFGAdv met all expectations.

I'll do a follow up post with ride details later when I have some more time.

Overall it was a very solid day at the park and well worth the journey from Philly on Public Transit.

Mind if I ask how the hell you got there via public transit?

Line Jumping seems to be part of the culture at this park. Given that I saw this 6-7 times before lines died around 5pm, it seems to be par for the course. Not only was it 14-16 year old school kids meeting up with their group already in line, but also people well into their 20s.

Less about SFGA, and more about the "culture" of the Northeast....all about me, me, me- unlike the rest of the country where as people are still considerate and have some manners! (and before you go there- I'm NJ born, work throughout the entire Northeast, and still live in NJ!)

LOL. Sounds good

It's been posted a million times, however- one more time with passion! (assumes no flash pass/you want to hit the major rides with minimal wait/all rides are operating at opening):

- arrive in the parking lot no later than 9:15am (this way you can get through security and in the park prior to the 10:30am opening time)

- make a left at the fountain, then high tail it to: Ka (front row)> Zumi> El Toro (2x)> Bizarro

- high tail it to the complete opposite side of the park, and go: Batman> Nitro> Skull

- Green Lantern sucks, thus unless you are a credit whore/there is no wait time, skip it

- Superman (less one element) sucks, as does the wait time.....and there is always a wait!

- The Joker will be a mob scene (all day, and especially at opening b/c it is being advertised in the NE like hell).....it's ok, but well below the rides I listed above....make it your last ride of the night (i.e.- get on line right before closing!)

- "Vintage" rides like the skyride, log flume, runaway mine train are highly recommended, BUT again, not at the expense of not getting on the rides I suggested you hit up early when you arrive....best not to take the point of view of "well we are near it, so let's just go on it now" in the morning- circle back with 'em later in the day, and stick with the above agenda!

Have fun- and if you have some Weed-b-Gon.....please bring it, as the park doesn't bother (or have the funding) to take care of the weeds in the queue lines! Basically when they build something new, it becomes "Love It and Leave It!" (you'll see what I mean when you get there- for example, look at old pics of Kingda Ka when it opened vs. how it is today; same for The Joker....looks great now, but come back in 5- 10 years!) Oh well!!!!!

PS- I've been heading the park since the 70's (yes I'm an old man!!!), and I have had a season pass (each season) since around 1982....so I kinda' know the place pretty well!

I agree with all of this, except I'd actually take the Skyway from Bizarro to Batman, Nitro, Dark Knight, Skull. I doubt it'll have a line at that point (Lines are always shorter from the fort side) and even if it does have a short line it's worth riding (This is the Skyway from the 1962 World's Fair which makes it pretty cool). If the mine train doesn't have a line at that point you might as well ride that too.

By the way, people are really stupid. If you notice that only one staircase has people on it but the Sky Ride is running both sides it's not because they're pulling from one line. It's because people are morons. Go up the staircase with nobody on it.

A few more tips:

- Superman is actually a fun ride, but it will always have a line and it's nothing amazing. Green Lantern truly sucks.

- The best seat on El Toro is one row from the back. The station will look like a mob scene but people are morons. They think the garbage can halfway through the station is an impenetrable forcefield. Walk past the garbage can and every row will be a 1-2 train wait.

- The best row on Bizarro is the very back row

- Ride the parachutes. It's the only ride of it's kind left in America and the line will be 5 minutes tops.

- As has been mentioned, if you have time the Safari is amazing. The line closes a few hours before dusk. If you don't want to do the safari but want to see some cute animals walk into the Seafari theater in Golden Kingdom but right before you enter the theater make a right along the fence. Follow this back to the "Wild Walkway" they have lion and tiger cubs. You can also enter from "Coasters and Candy" over by the entrance to Plaza De Carnival. This doubles as a shortcut from Plaza De Carnival to Golden Kingdom.

I'll start out with the negatives: Line Jumping seems to be part of the culture at this park. Given that I saw this 6-7 times before lines died around 5pm, it seems to be par for the course. Not only was it 14-16 year old school kids meeting up with their group already in line, but also people well into their 20s. They just push their way through the line and meet up with their buddies. There would often be a security person at the Flash Pass entrance but they can't do anything for the main line.

I've been to Great Adventure several times on high school trips and its almost a sport during the weekdays before the summer season kicks off. The PA teenagers see Dorney Park as a middle school park, Six Flags Great Adventure as a high school park.

Every time I visited Great Adventure, Kingda Ka shuts down. Always wanted to ride it.

LOL. Sounds good

Awesome thanks. We will probably fast pass and I am a credit whore so I'll try to capture everything we will take your advice though

Overall it was a very solid day at the park and well worth the journey from Philly on Public Transit.

Mind if I ask how the hell you got there via public transit?

I took SEPTA from Jefferson Station to the Trenton Transit Center. From there I took Uber to the park. Going back I used Lyft to go from SFGAdv to the Trenton Transit Center. It made for a long day (7am train out of Philly to make park opening). Uber was all over the Trenton Transit Center, but non existent around the park. Lyft had a single car going in the area of the park a little after 7pm so I took it. I didn't want to have to call a $80+ cab so I didn't chance hanging at the park for more rides. Uber/Lyft ride availability seemed hit or miss at best.

It wasn't cheap, but it's doable.

^^Thanks. That's what I assumed you did since Trenton is the closest you can now get to the park since NJ Transit stopped doing the buses from Philly. I know there is also some longass roundabout way to get there using the Riverline and a bunch of other BS that seems to take like 4 hours which I can't be bothered with lol. I was also curious how easy it was to get an Uber at the park since it's in the middle of nowhere to a city kid like me who can always get an Uber in under 5 minutes. lol

Just curious - how much was your Uber / Lyft ride to and from the park?

It can't be that much, its only a 20 minute drive to the park from Trenton if there is no traffic. I'm guessing around $20?