TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Comparing to the F1 Coaster it seems rather clear itll be Intamin since I believe thats whos doing that one.

Second, the double spine would probably be for the forces exerted on the track. Im also anticipating a larger or longer train than a rocket, thus a more pressing need for a track that can handle immense speed, g forces and weight.

Just look at the Ties...cones?! Do you realize how strong that is? Then the spine they are attached too? It does make you wonder the scale and size of this thing. You wouldnt make track THAT beefy if there wasnt a good reason for it.

I'm not that much hyped up about it at the moment, its great that we now have track and I got really hyped up when the supports first started arriving and I thought it was track but now I'm just playing a waiting game to see what really comes to KD. I have better things to do this summer ie: visit other parks rather than continue to follow KD's new coaster construction.

Comparing to the F1 Coaster it seems rather clear itll be Intamin since I believe thats whos doing that one.

Wasn't it in First Drop?

Anyway, Here is some further proof for those that still don't believe this is Intamin.

Notice the supports on the F1 coaster that are circled are the new style used on iSpeed, and the same style that we saw a few days back being offloaded at KD.

It's pretty clear to me that Intamin have just decided to redesign their track and supports....I mean if Vekoma can redesign their track, Intamin can too right

KDcoaster.JPG.dcebae97f605cb4c23a467a7816113a2.JPG

Proof that the KD coaster is Intamin.

Second, the double spine would probably be for the forces exerted on the track. Im also anticipating a larger or longer train than a rocket, thus a more pressing need for a track that can handle immense speed, g forces and weight.

Just look at the Ties...cones?! Do you realize how strong that is? Then the spine they are attached too? It does make you wonder the scale and size of this thing. You wouldnt make track THAT beefy if there wasnt a good reason for it.

So could this be a record-breaking coaster in the works?

The track style used on Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda' Ka was square. Remember that triangle shapes are stronger than square shapes. So if this is true could we be looking at a 130+ mph or 450+ft coaster?

Here's also something to think about: How comes is KD already having track arrive in June (almost a year ahead of opening day?) Up here at Hershey, track for Fahrenheit started arriving 4 to 5 months until opening day.

Or we could be looking at something we've never seen before from Intamin which might be the case.

The track style used on Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda' Ka was square. Remember that triangle shapes are stronger than square shapes. So if this is true could we be looking at a 130+ mph or 450+ft coaster?

Here's also something to think about: How comes is KD already having track arrive in June (almost a year ahead of opening day?) Up here at Hershey, track for Fahrenheit started arriving 4 to 5 months until opening day.

Or we could be looking at something we've never seen before from Intamin which might be the case.

I think it could be. According to Jan Pagel during a recent interview on the In the Loop podcast, he said that KD wanted to be on the top on the east coast. He wasn't necessarily referring to this coaster, but what he's basically saying is that whatever they're currently developing will put KD on top.

Not necessarily, I mean Kanonen has the square type of track too, but that is anything but a record breaker.

http://www.rcdb.com/m/ig2905.htm?picture=12

It's a bit of a stretch to say that Intamin now have a special type of track they only pull out for record breakers.

I think they have simply found some new efficiencies in their designs, and are applying them accordingly.

I thought the F1 coaster was Premier?

Quite a few people had thought it was going to be Premier, but there was an article about in First Drop.

Loefet made a post about it over on CF....

According to the latest issue of "First Drop" (ECC magazine) then the smaller dueling one will indeed be a Maurer coaster, and the big white one is actually an Intamin!! that uses a new type o track system that is supposed to be even stronger then the quad one...

There are overview shots of both coasters in First Drop, but due to copyright issues I won't post the images here.

But I can say that the dueler is very twisted with some side changing maneuvers you can clearly see 3 double boost sections along the route, and the "Record breaker" have a large figure 8 section (think Rita), I'm guessing that it won't have any top-hat like structures (but you never know until it's done). They are talking about speeds around 250 km/h and a length of about 2000 meters.

When you think about it though, it looks nothing like Premier anyway so there was no real reason to presume it is by them on sight alone...

Do premier have massive double spines? Nope. Cone shaped ties? Nope.

Hence the door is open for this track to be by anyone....namely Intamin.

Guys...since when is a designer locked into a certain track style?

Especially when the current track style isnt handling speeds nearly what this ride (especially the F1 Coaster (NOT RING RACER) is proposed to push). It seems to me that because of the speeds and forces that going for a track this style shows this isnt going to be some pansy coaster. Remember all of the rockets use shorter, lighter trains. Only MF is in its own category but its only going 93mph. If this thing will eclipse the F1 Coaster or be close, were talkin like 140+.

^^I don't believe Vekoma has ever made any hypers...

They haven't, but they just recently developed a new 4 abreast configuration that utilizes a track similar to that of intamin and b&m meaning that the wheels no longer are on the inside of the track but on the outside. This new design, though the pictures vekoma has released do not match the pictures posted here, could still possibly be the track we are seeing now. I think that the possibility of this being a vekoma should be considered solely based on the fact that vekoma has said they are going for a new approach on trains (and I guess in turn track) while intamin and the others have not.

Pictures of the new trains can be found here.

And a quote from their site that proves they are going for a new approach.

Vekoma Rides is proud to announce the addition of another high quality new train type to her already extensive collection of trains.

These new high quality 4-abreast trains, are suitable for family and thrill mega coasters and available in sit-down and suspended configuration.

The train is executed with a lap bar restraint and can be executed with an over-the-shoulder vest attached to the lap bar restraint depending on the type or ride and layout. The over-the-shoulder vest offers a great sense of freedom with an unobstructed view!

Both train types are available up to 32 passengers per train (8 coaches 4 passengers per coach) The renderings below show a preview of the trains to be installed on new projects coming in 2010!

^ The track system that is going to be used for the new Vekomas is different compared to this one, they use track that looks like the one that the trains run on in those renderings on the Vekoma web page, at least that is what the new Singapore Dueler have...

Comparing to the F1 Coaster it seems rather clear it will be Intamin since I believe that's who's doing that one.

Second, the double spine would probably be for the forces exerted on the track. I'm also anticipating a larger or longer train than a rocket, thus a more pressing need for a track that can handle immense speed, g forces and weight.

According to the article in First drop about the F1 coaster then the main reason why they have changed the track system, is to make the manufacturing cheaper. A stronger track needs a lot less supports on hills etc. (as you can see on the hills on the F1 coaster), but they still have the supports pretty close together on the high-g turns, due to the extra force.

And then comparing this new one with the Quad-track then this one must be a lot easier to make, since there is a lot of small parts that needs to be welded up with a lot of accuracy, where as this track needs less parts/materials. I also guess that's one of the reasons why they have started to use Square tubing on the supports, cheaper...

So in essence this is a track system to make large coaster manufacturing cheaper, which can give us a lot more big rides then we have seen so far

I thought the F1 coaster was Premier?
I guess that's something Lance started when he first posted about it on Screamscape...

My supervisors AT KD (where I work) say it is "supposed" to be an Intamin GIGA COASTER!

and I've seen the track, and yeah

Seeing what the track is all about then this is very plausible, maybe even a Tera coaster...

^^^Your point is valid about why the track is so strong, but thats how its always been. Most manufacturers have always designed the main track system so that it can not only handle the load but also span a certain distance without support. This does save on cost.

But Im also thinking this track system will only be used for insanely huge or fast rides with high g's. I dont see it as a total switch by Intamin.

My supervisors AT KD (where I work) say it is "supposed" to be an Intamin GIGA COASTER!

and I've seen the track, and yeah

I'll only trust you if you work at a Dippin Dots stand

Haha jk, but I really do hope you're true because I've always wondered why Intamin hasnt done another giga coaster since their first one was a big success in the eyes of most enthusiasts

^Understood.

And yeah, I would see no reason for such massive track to be used on everything. I'm sure it is very cost-effective for rides of this size, but not for anything smaller.

Sorry, I meant there to be one more carrot. Not directed at you! the person who quoted me rather.

I was at the park earlier for Hurlfest and a lot of land clearing in the back portion was discovered. I looked at the track closeup and its hard to really tell which manufacturer it is but from the park PR Manager he said that they will announce future announcements at a later time. We will have to wait and see what happens.

My personal opinion is that this will be a Giga coaster. If you look at the land clearing it's obvious that this ride will take up a massive amount of land and run parallel to the park. If it was a Hyper I expect it would go out towards the woods instead of staying next to the park were it can be obviously seen (and bragged about). I also don't think any ride smaller then a Hyper coaster can take up the amount of land cleared.

An add on to the whole project would probably be making a path from the FoF area to the Rebel Yell area (the Grove). As many of you know that area is really annoying to get out of because it's pretty much a dead end.